Hot Earth 

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Hot Earth
Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

has anyone hot earthed an e-series yet, particularly an ed. is worth the effort and money or not????

cheers

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

whats hot earth?

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

is that the fluro green/yellow cabling that goes all around the engine bay to different earth locations?
it's a load of s**t, it just gets rid of voltage drop in the negative/ground side of things.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

if thats all it is. you could do it real cheap by going to super cheap and buying some of the battery earth straps they sell and using those

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Shell with 4 wheels

NSW, Australia

yeah its 300 bucks a pop that hot earth i been looking at it but aitn 100% sure of it yet

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

smoke_rubber wrote:
is that the fluro green/yellow cabling that goes all around the engine bay to different earth locations?
it's a load of s**t, it just gets rid of voltage drop in the negative/ground side of things.

yeh thats the one

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

fordgt290 wrote:
whats hot earth?

it basically replaces all of the factory earthing straps with thicker more conductive copper wiring directly to the battery neg (-)

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

fordgt290 wrote:
whats hot earth?

it basically replaces all of the factory earthing straps with thicker more conductive copper wiring directly to the battery neg (-)

heres the link if you wanna read more about it
http://www.hotearth.com.au

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR Turbo

NSW, Australia

i dont know about all of that but i put some huge battery cables on my xf.. incl earth cable and it makes a huge difference to the voltage drop,, starts easier and charges better.. cant be all bad when it cost me nothing..

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:10 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

There must be something in it. The cabling Ford use is pretty crap really.

I know people pick on the instrument cluser metres, oil and voltage in particular. But in reality they are extremely precise and sensitive. If you take a cluster out of a car and put a voltage on the volt gauge wire, the gauge always shows 100% reflective of what the voltage is. But put it back into the car, and you usually loose 1 or so volts from the wiring.

My battery charges at a constant 14v, however I always see a 13 to 13.5v on the cluster, but now I know that what I see wrong, and its not the cluster at fault. I can only guess there is an earth problem somewhere.

After all, the fix for a number of issues with the AU is running extra grounding straps directly from the battery to certain points on the engine. Im guessing that means that the factory grounding is inadequate.

But that said, Hot Earth is bloody expensive, and the same concept could be acheived much cheaper.

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:34 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EF Fairmont

WA, Australia

didnt bother with the hot earth, just got some good power cable from stereo shop put some good connectors on it and some plactic cable cover stuff, and put it on a couple of diff points and replaced the factory ones, noticed a little improvment lights seem brighter and dont dim when u turn more things on..

wouldnt spend the $300 on hot earth myself.. cost me like $20 8-)

EF XR8 - 5speed, Extractors & Exhaust

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:27 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

smoke_rubber wrote:

Hah.. thats a contradiction.

How can it be a load of s**t BUT gets rid of voltage drop?

The whole idea behind the concept is that the voltage drop causes poor spark performance.. not to mention other issues such as variations in sensor readings, injector performance, fuel pump performanc even. Voltage drop robs you of performance.. simple :)

As everyone else has said, if you want to do it on the cheap, just get some good 4GA cable (even 8GA would be a start) and do the task yourself. If you'd like super-dooper high quality cables with nice terminals on the end and instructions showing you all the recommended ground points, then maybe you're happy to spend the extra $150-200 :)

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: R32 GTR

VIC, Australia

It is all a load of s**t.

Clean your battery posts, the wire junction into the posts and the earth points on the body and engine.

Multiple earth points needed on an engine? HA HA HA! tell me, how many amps of current would an engine block or head be capable of carrying? Think of using your engine as a fuse, what is it rated at?

I would often like to go into business selling this sort of rubbish. I love helping a fool part with his/her money, my problem is I am too honest to do so.

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

arm79 wrote:
The cabling Ford use is pretty crap really.

ive had a quick squiz under the hood and i saw what looks to be a earth to the block the wire looks as though its the wire used on the speakers. most people will no what im talking about its that real s**t with witha really hard plastic around it.

maybe ill just do as a few peopel have mentioned and get me some 4ga cable and decent connectors and do it myself.

cheers

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:31 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

nannas_ed wrote:
arm79 wrote:
The cabling Ford use is pretty crap really.

ive had a quick squiz under the hood and i saw what looks to be a earth to the block the wire looks as though its the wire used on the speakers. most people will no what im talking about its that real s**t with witha really hard plastic around it.

maybe ill just do as a few peopel have mentioned and get me some 4ga cable and decent connectors and do it myself.

cheers

And not only that, if we take EB's as examples, that cable is thicker. And they also have a ground strap from the transmission to the body, something EF and EL's dont have. So on earlier models, there is more grounding on the engine and body.

Seems Ford went cheap in the quality of the wires. I'm guessing that adding a couple of amps and more doesnt help the situation either.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next