Fordmods Logo

I6 Individual throttle bodies project 

Page 8 of 57 [ 845 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 57  Next

Post subject: Re: I6 Individual throttle bodies project
Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

dsyfer wrote:
Only a bit of progress as the TIG at work is broken, hopefully getting fixed this week.

Should be cutting out the manifold TB plate tomorrow, this is the design, 10mm 6060 Alloy plate

Had an exhaust place use their pipe expander to open up the tube I have for the runners to 48mm ID, these will taper to 42mm at the head.

Hey Tickford_6, any chance you got the Tickford head exhaust seat ID?

sorry for taking so long. i dragged the head out today, then realized i don't have anything to here to measure it accurately, i'll stop in at work after i take the boy to swimming and get my callipers.

By rights it should be 2mm more then a non tickford head. and by looking at the head i've got there is plenty of room to make the throat bigger again.

Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

tickford_6 wrote:
dsyfer wrote:
Only a bit of progress as the TIG at work is broken, hopefully getting fixed this week.

Should be cutting out the manifold TB plate tomorrow, this is the design, 10mm 6060 Alloy plate

Had an exhaust place use their pipe expander to open up the tube I have for the runners to 48mm ID, these will taper to 42mm at the head.

Hey Tickford_6, any chance you got the Tickford head exhaust seat ID?

sorry for taking so long. i dragged the head out today, then realized i don't have anything to here to measure it accurately, i'll stop in at work after i take the boy to swimming and get my callipers.

By rights it should be 2mm more then a non tickford head. and by looking at the head i've got there is plenty of room to make the throat bigger again.

just measured the EF tickford head and the EL GLI head that i have. Both of the have identical insert OD and the ID is within 0.20mm.
All that seams to be different is the position of the seat it self.
By that it will be no trouble to fit 41mm exhaust valves (which i have done before) though I would spend the time to open the throat out to suit the valve.

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
just measured the EF tickford head and the EL GLI head that i have. Both of the have identical insert OD and the ID is within 0.20mm.
All that seams to be different is the position of the seat it self.
By that it will be no trouble to fit 41mm exhaust valves (which i have done before) though I would spend the time to open the throat out to suit the valve.

Cheers for that.

So the Tickford heads had 2mm larger valves but the same throat opening in the valve seats, I would have thought a larger valve would only be a benefit if the throat was also bigger, otherwise wouldn't the larger valve just get in the way? more physical metal in the way of the same size opening?

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Got some more work done yesterday

Runners all finished, this shows the tapers

What it would have looked like using original flange

Rendered version of what it will look like, with fabricated flange and injector bosses

Been thinking about throttle cable linkages etc, the extrudabody site has some interesting stuff
Rough plan is have the the TB's linked in three pairs ie; one butterfly shaft goes through two bodies
Then using these joiners to link the pairs together, remembering that each TB has it's own air bleed screw

Then on the middle pair use one of these between them, that way the throttle cable is pulling dead centre of the three pairs of bodies

Return spring could be attached using the throttle stop

That would leave either end free for a Throttle position sensor.

Currently trying to work out the fuel rail, original rail is not really suitable due to original mounting points suiting the BBM, I can get lengths of billet rail, that just need drilling, and tapping the ends, will do a scale drawing to see where it could mount.

Thoughts?

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

With Throttle bodies and ram tubes, the good thing about the 803 series throttle bodies is that the mounting plate on the TB is a separate adjustable flange.

Should fill in the engine bay nicely.

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Man this is coming along nicely, a lot of thought has gone into this project that's for sure :wink:

I can almost picture it now, a set of anodized blue ram tubes lined up along the intake side of the engine sure would be a very nice sight to see 8-)

Keep up the good work!!

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

dsyfer wrote:
Currently trying to work out the fuel rail, original rail is not really suitable due to original mounting points suiting the BBM, I can get lengths of billet rail, that just need drilling, and tapping the ends, will do a scale drawing to see where it could mount.

Thoughts?

Nice work dude. What about a fuel rail from the EA-ED MPFI setup? Should be easier to adapt, looking at the support legs it uses to attach to the manifold. I have seen one adapted to a valiant 265 hemi 2bbl manifold rather easily.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
Nice work dude. What about a fuel rail from the EA-ED MPFI setup? Should be easier to adapt, looking at the support legs it uses to attach to the manifold. I have seen one adapted to a valiant 265 hemi 2bbl manifold rather easily.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I was thinking of a rail from another setup, but for $30 for a couple of feet of billet rail it will keep it all alloy. Machining won't cost me anything but time.

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Mounting the billet rail should be pretty easy, as it is directly above the TB to manifold bolt holes, so a couple of tabs TIG welded on should do the trick, however it will stuff with the throttle setup. I guess I could use a 90degree cable and come in over the top of the rail

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

You could come in underneath the rail couldn't you? Route the cable along the firewall, and under the manifold fit up the brackets to hold it? Still use a cable with a 90deg bend in it so you can hide most of it's routing under the Tb's maybe.....

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED Pwnage Pwr!!

SA, Australia

How about these fuel rails? :)

http://www.mrparts.com.au/?p=138

Adelaide Motorplex < Click on it! You know you want too!
ED HP AU XR6, Wade, T5, and all the usual stuff!

Quote:
Thats not the point *a**hole

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

4LEDboy wrote:
How about these fuel rails? :)

http://www.mrparts.com.au/?p=138

They are quite nice but at $650 with injectors, I rekon they would cost $250-300 by themselves.
I think I could make one with braided fittings for about half that.

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

Very impressive work dsyfer. Looking forward to seeing the finished product up and running.

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon XR8

WA, Australia

I would love a setup like this for turbo applications, with a plenum instead of the ram tubes, Nissan GTR style.

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: XW, EL, Territory, VFR800

Power: 129 rwkw

SA, Australia

s**t mate! Just had a skim over the thread and all I can say is great work and good luck! I'm a third year engineer at Adelaide Uni so this is right up my alley! Where do you work? (sorry if you've already mentioned that...)

Sort by  
 Page 8 of 57  [ 845 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 57  Next