Fordmods Logo

I6 Individual throttle bodies project 

Page 10 of 57 [ 845 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 57  Next

Post subject: Manifold welded
Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Got the manifold back today, all nicely welded :D

I left the inner flange openings slightly smaller so I can match it to the head ports easier.

I think it will look good once it's all together in the engine bay

Nice and smooth welds

Lines up very well

Now I need to put it on the mill at work and run over both flange faces, make sure they are true and straight. Then I can drill and tap mounting holes (I didn't want to pre drill them before it was welded incase of any warps movement etc). once it is trued and drilled I can bolt it on the mill and get a perfect 25degree angle for the injector boss holes.

Now for the vacuum side of things, I am thinking of tapping a thread into the bottom of each runner and using these:
Which have a M5 thread and seal, theses would then run individually to a common vacuum rail running under the manifold, which could have a junction feed at the end for brakes, map, etc

Anyone foresee any problems with this type of vacuum setup?

Post subject: Re: I6 Individual throttle bodies project
Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Subaru SVX

NSW, Australia

Looks really good.

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:27 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Falcon AUII XR6 HP

Power: 184 rwkw

NSW, Australia

can you start making another one!!!!!! I want it sooooo bad, progress so far is awesome and thumbs up to the fabricator, those welds are neat!!!!!!

184 rwkw with more to go!

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:00 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

This is the answer weve been waiting for...

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:09 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: NA Fairlane / FE LTD

VIC, Australia

When you pick up vacuum for brake booster, collect it from as many inlet tubes as possable. My hemi pulsed the brake pedal when picking up from one tube. I would recomend at least 3 minimum.

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

nalane wrote:
When you pick up vacuum for brake booster, collect it from as many inlet tubes as possable. My hemi pulsed the brake pedal when picking up from one tube. I would recomend at least 3 minimum.

As it is being built for the twisties I want reliable and consistent brake feel, so possibly an electric vacuum pump might be the go, I think MR2's have one because of rear wheel drive, so shouldn't be hard to find one. I can always try the common vac rail first to see how much it will pull, it is not an over the top cam that's going in so might be ok, I need vacuum for the MAP so I will need to tap the runners anyway.

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

You wont have a lot of vac, at idle expect it to be around 60kpa however with a big enough vacuum tank you might be able to do away with a vac pump.
However dont base your tune on MAP it will not work correctly, base it off TPS and use MAP to pull fuel out where needed, but yeah you will still need a stable MAP signal.

Id suggest take vacuum off the 6 runners to a chamber, pull the map signal from this chamber and also connect the chamber to a vacuum tank via a one way valve, then the vacuum tank to the brake booster.
Any ideas on what you are going to do with the PCV? or not run one?

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

66 coupe wrote:
You wont have a lot of vac, at idle expect it to be around 60kpa however with a big enough vacuum tank you might be able to do away with a vac pump.
However dont base your tune on MAP it will not work correctly, base it off TPS and use MAP to pull fuel out where needed, but yeah you will still need a stable MAP signal.

Id suggest take vacuum off the 6 runners to a chamber, pull the map signal from this chamber and also connect the chamber to a vacuum tank via a one way valve, then the vacuum tank to the brake booster.
Any ideas on what you are going to do with the PCV? or not run one?

Cheers 66 coupe, PVC not sure, how much vaccum does it need? might just run them into catch can?

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Bit more work on the manifold, drilled all mounting holes, started to clean up the edges.

Mounts up perfect, haven't trued the faces on the mill as yet, will wait until the injectors bosses are in

Started matching head and manifold

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Started work on the head, so I thought I would make a cast of the intake port so I would have a plan of attack.

Flexible two part moulding silicone did the job;

You can really see the port shape this way.

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Manifold and head porting yesterday, sore back today :(

Cleaned up the manifold flange once I had checked the alignment with the head, dremel and tungsten carbide bit make light work of the 6060.

Nice and smooth, just the way I like em 8-)

Started on the intake ports

Intake port and manifold, this sucker should flow pretty good, taper is perfect from throttle body opening down to port throat.

Unported intake

Ported, cleaned up the bowl, layed back short turn, still want to get the floor a little bit flatter as the air will now be traveling straight rather than coming off turn as it would have with the BBM

Overlayed photo, shot exactly in the same place, you can see the original short turn as a dark shadow over the top of the new shape.

Going to cc the ports later tonight, once I can find a bit of clear perspex

Custom Pro Flow stainless valves from Manley for intake and exhaust work out to $350 plus postage, so not as bad as I thought.

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

The Manley valves worked out at a tad under $30 each, not too bad.
What size did you order?

You should also remove the valve guides and machine a tapper on the section that protrudes into the port. ( If you aren't using stupid amounts of valve lift you could just grind the guides back flush with the port roof)

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Nice work on the porting!! Awesome shots showing the differences too, looking forward to seeing to rest of the porting :wink:

Bloody good price on those valves alright. Guess your are sourcing them straight out of the US?

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
The Manley valves worked out at a tad under $30 each, not too bad.
What size did you order?

You should also remove the valve guides and machine a tapper on the section that protrudes into the port. ( If you aren't using stupid amounts of valve lift you could just grind the guides back flush with the port roof)

Haven't ordered them yet, just got the quote back from the US, I haven't heard back from the machine shop as to what they can do with the seats yet. But was planning on 48mm and 40mm if i can get the seat throats opened up enough, otherwise I will stay with 47mm, the shape of the Pro flow should be equivalent to a larger valve, but I was also thinking that the 47mm valve can be unshrouded better in the chamber than a larger one? would the larger valve flow less around the side than a smaller valve which has been unshrouded more?

The price for the valves from manley are the same for any size as long as they can be cut from one of the blanks, the price difference is in the type of material choosen for the valves.

They have 3 different series in the custom valves, Race duty, Extreme duty, Servere duty.

Race is for street/weekend racer applications
Extreme is for Pro Stock/Pro Comp type applications
Severe is for Alcohol/ Top Doorslammer type applications

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:35 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Subaru SVX

NSW, Australia

Could you supply detail on the moulding silicone, I want to give it a go.
Tony

Sort by  
 Page 10 of 57  [ 845 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 57  Next