Fordmods Logo

I6 Individual throttle bodies project 

Page 15 of 57 [ 845 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 57  Next

Post subject: Re: I6 Individual throttle bodies project
Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:57 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 1992 EB Fairmont

VIC, Australia

That looks so awesome.

Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Throttle linkages turned up :D

they look quite good, well made and nice finish.

Anyone know of a place in Adelaide I can get a custom throttle cable? or someone that stocks parts? (end crimps, outer, inner etc)

Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

dsyfer wrote:
Throttle linkages turned up :D

they look quite good, well made and nice finish.

Anyone know of a place in Adelaide I can get a custom throttle cable? or someone that stocks parts? (end crimps, outer, inner etc)

I have made cables before...go to a motorcycle joint, they have outer, inners, outerends and an assortment of ends......I made my own ends for what I was doing.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR Turbo

NSW, Australia

worst case there is a place called "general auto cables" in the liverpool area of nsw. Ive had a custom heavy duty cale done for my 8tb setup done there.. maybe they could post it too you?

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Someone has put me onto a cable place in Adelaide, so all cool, just need to get a day off from work to get there.

Finally got around to facing the manifold, so one less job to do.

Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Now that I finally milled the manifold flanges I can get all the linkages working,

Joiners work well, all runs real smoooooth

Not sure which end to have the TPS, I'm thinking at the back out of sight, and that will leave this for the return spring

Throttle stop will need me to weld a small tab onto the manifold, but looks like it will fit perfect

Gotta measure the throw distance on the standard pedal, then can order a cable to suit, I am planning on running it around the back of the engine bay and come up from underneath to keep it all looking schmick :D

Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

A return spring at 1 end may cause a difference from 1 end to the other.
I would have 1 at each end.

Member Number 8804

Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

MadMatt wrote:
A return spring at 1 end may cause a difference from 1 end to the other.
I would have 1 at each end.

I can move it to the middle next to the throttle cam, or like you said put another on the other end as well, it is all a bit trial and error, as there is no one to copy, well no one that has put up detailed pics.

Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I might have come up and look at it some time, I can pick up those bolts at the same time. lol

Member Number 8804

Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

MadMatt wrote:
I might have come up and look at it some time, I can pick up those bolts at the same time. lol

lol, you can come up and help me get it all in the car if ya want, once it's ready I have to try and get it all in over a weekend.

Plan will be:

Pre wire the EMS, and make plug in looms for the injectors and coils.

Friday arvo after work pull out old head, BBM, timing cover, air con.

Saturday, install, new head, cam, timing chain, ITB's, coils, run wiring

Sunday get it running and drivable (will have a wideband O2 sensor)

Monday, chuck a sickie, or holiday day and drive down to Heinrich's for dyno time.

Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Happy to, just let me know when you are planning to do it.

Member Number 8804

Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

sync them all by feeler-gauge, id try get the throttle stop, and return springs as central as possible

Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Hi, I've only just come across this thread - awesome! I know you've already built your manifold but I note you were talking about possibly doing others, just wanted to share an idea with you (not my idea but interesting) - have you considered at all variable length runners on the intake? I've seen it theoretically in a few different places over the years BUT what amazed me was a few months ago, I work at uniSA and was walking thru Adelaide uni - they have an automotive engineering dept - they were working on a kinda buggy vehicle that had by the looks a 4 cyl bike engine - the amazing part was it had working variable length intake runners.. (if you can't visualise think something along the lines of a slide trombone....) basically they were set up to slide in and out to always give the optimum length, regardless of rpm...they were controlled by a computer setup but didn't really get any details, basically had a very quick chat as I walked past... the idea may not be practical in a car (but hey it might be!) - just thought I'd mention it...

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

tearlejc wrote:
Hi, I've only just come across this thread - awesome! I know you've already built your manifold but I note you were talking about possibly doing others, just wanted to share an idea with you (not my idea but interesting) - have you considered at all variable length runners on the intake? I've seen it theoretically in a few different places over the years BUT what amazed me was a few months ago, I work at uniSA and was walking thru Adelaide uni - they have an automotive engineering dept - they were working on a kinda buggy vehicle that had by the looks a 4 cyl bike engine - the amazing part was it had working variable length intake runners.. (if you can't visualise think something along the lines of a slide trombone....) basically they were set up to slide in and out to always give the optimum length, regardless of rpm...they were controlled by a computer setup but didn't really get any details, basically had a very quick chat as I walked past... the idea may not be practical in a car (but hey it might be!) - just thought I'd mention it...

It would be a great engineering project, but limited space in the engine bay would make it hard.

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:15 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU Falcon

VIC, Australia

tearlejc wrote:

I imagine lots of wear on the moving parts and parts breaking. Sounds like a great idea but i dont think the time and money required is worth it unless your racing.

On a similar note though, I saw a clip on youtube where someone had made a working cylinder head with electromagnets controlling the valves.

Imagine the gains to be had there!!! all these arguments about what type of cam is best vs what type of driving etc etc, these would be like having the peak power from 1000 rpm to redline. Also not to mention no cam shaft, no timing gear, no rocker gear, no rocker cover and less oil there would be big weight saving there.

Sort by  
 Page 15 of 57  [ 845 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 57  Next