Fordmods Logo

I6 Individual throttle bodies project 

Page 23 of 57 [ 845 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 57  Next

Post subject: Re: I6 Individual throttle bodies project
Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Wasted 3 hours running around to cable places today, none were helpful. Ended up finding a nice universal kit at the speed shop, I can cut the inner and the outer to suit, good looking adjusters and a ball end.

Made up a simple bracket to keep it all neat

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:30 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

dsyfer wrote:
Deff wrote:
Looking good, only advise would be grommets for the holes the injector wires are coming from, over time the vibrations will wear right through those wires in no time if you don't.

No room for a grommet, but the wires are double heat shrunk and the hole is chamfered in and out, will keep an eye on it.

Can you use gasket maker to fill in the holes? Smooth out the glue before it sets and it should be good to hold it in place (I think...)...and it can always be removed. Can use the Permatex Blue gasket maker to match the intake. Not sure how tacky it would look though in blue.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

should be ok, double heatshrunk theres a few mm of insulation, the whole lot will move together anyway its not like the wiring is moving as per the factory harness.

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I quite like that throttle cable... Whats the other end look like? Mounts up to the factory pedal all ok? How much is that sort of thing worth? Would solve my problem of a broken outter cable... Never seen anything like it in my short life... I wouldn't mind getting one... :D Or two maybe, cruise might need one too... What's the max length of the outter?

So far mate its the work of a genius...

Congrats on a super job...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

dsyfer wrote:
Wasted 3 hours running around to cable places today, none were helpful. Ended up finding a nice universal kit at the speed shop, I can cut the inner and the outer to suit, good looking adjusters and a ball end.

Made up a simple bracket to keep it all neat

i was going to recommend the lokar stuff to you last time you asked about cables.

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

timmytimtim wrote:
I quite like that throttle cable... Whats the other end look like? Mounts up to the factory pedal all ok? How much is that sort of thing worth? Would solve my problem of a broken outter cable... Never seen anything like it in my short life... I wouldn't mind getting one... :D Or two maybe, cruise might need one too... What's the max length of the outter?

Cheers,
Tim

As Tickford_6 mentioned they are made by "Lokar", as the cable is open on the throttle end, you can feed it through any type of standard pedal fitting. Mine is the 48" version and was $80, at Outlaw Speed Shop.

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

dsyfer wrote:
timmytimtim wrote:

Cheers,
Tim

As Tickford_6 mentioned they are made by "Lokar", as the cable is open on the throttle end, you can feed it through any type of standard pedal fitting. Mine is the 48" version and was $80, at Outlaw Speed Shop.

you can also also use almost any inner cable in the lokar outer.
I've used them on old holdens and toyotas and used the old inner to get the right pedal end on the cable.

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Cheers for that...

So is there something included so you can slide that plastic thingo over the cable and crimp the ball on it... Or whatever is under there, been a while since I looked last... :? Or a screw ferrule or something? Obviously you re-use the plastic bit off the original one?

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

timmytimtim wrote:
Cheers for that...

So is there something included so you can slide that plastic thingo over the cable and crimp the ball on it... Or whatever is under there, been a while since I looked last... :? Or a screw ferrule or something? Obviously you re-use the plastic bit off the original one?

Cheers,
Tim

It has a ball end on the cable at the pedal end, but you can slide the cable out altogether, so you can put any end on it that has a hole through it.

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Where it is at

My valve spring compressor broke this morning :( so had to go for a drive and find another one.

Found a couple of header bolts finger tight, and you can see on the gasket where it was leaking exhaust a bit on number 6.

Intake manifold bolts were only just done up, unlike the BBM hex bolts that join the top to the bottom, they were bloody tight.

There is a lot of wiring to clean up, and heater hoses (left over from LPG)

Anyone know what the plug that heads into the bottom of the timing cover does? I need to re run wires from wherever they go to, as it is all hooked into the injector loom, which is not going to be used.

Also the fuse and capacitor that is bolted to the front of the coil pack, is that to do with the coil pack? or something else?

Another weird thing, one of the exhaust rockers on the valve gear didn't have a shim under the lifter, every other rocker had them? Is this normal, or someone stuffing up whoever put it together last?

More tomorrow.

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: XW, EL, Territory, VFR800

Power: 129 rwkw

SA, Australia

dsyfer wrote:
Where it is at
Anyone know what the plug that heads into the bottom of the timing cover does? I need to re run wires from wherever they go to, as it is all hooked into the injector loom, which is not going to be used.

Not the crank angle sensor?

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:23 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah wiring into the timing case would be crank angle sensor...

The capacitor at the coil pack could be to aid engine noise through the sound system... Not sure about a fuse though, never seen under an EF manifold... ED's don't have one at the coil though...

I dare say someone might have lost a shim... Unless there is something funny been done to the cam (like a whole heap of lift added or something really strange), I'd near bet its supposed to have a shim up in there...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

into the timing cover can be cam sensor too, late AU's had a cam sensor in the front of the timing cover that triggers off the aux wheel. if its EF block or early AU it will be crank trigger and sync sensor where the dizzy goes

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED Pwnage Pwr!!

SA, Australia

66 coupe wrote:
into the timing cover can be cam sensor too, late AU's had a cam sensor in the front of the timing cover that triggers off the aux wheel. if its EF block or early AU it will be crank trigger and sync sensor where the dizzy goes

Is it a VR sensor like the Crank sensor?

Adelaide Motorplex < Click on it! You know you want too!
ED HP AU XR6, Wade, T5, and all the usual stuff!

Quote:
Thats not the point *a**hole

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2006 BF XR8 Boss 260

New Zealand

I've pulled two heads down and found 1 shim missing in both, always thought I lost them but could never see how as I pulled the lifters out while the unit was upside down making it impossible for them to fall out.

Current...
XY Faker Project...
EL XR6 Work Hack...

Sort by  
 Page 23 of 57  [ 845 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 57  Next