Fordmods Logo

i6 power? modified EF 5sp manual 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: i6 power? modified EF 5sp manual
Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:58 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ef fairmont

VIC, Australia

:D Hi everybody! this is my 1st post.. i have an ef fairmont.. I6 converted to 5sp.. so far it has a cold air pickup, pod filter, extractors, 4-2-1, 2.5 inch exhaust.. 2 weeks ago i baught an ed xr6 head with a stage 2 crow cam and an adjustable cam gear 4 $750 all up.. all xcelent condition.. The head atm ia at Racetech" being "ported" "polishing the deck" and having "brass sleaves" inserted into the valve stem guides... for minimum friction and a longer service life im told..
any ideas for the amount of power this combo would be making when pieced together????? :roll: :idea: ive also purchased 10 millimetre "top gun" ignition leads 4 d beast... trying to go from this= :) to this= :D

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:00 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: XRGLi EF

WA, Australia

sounds like a pretty mean setup... as a rough gues i would say between 130rwkw and 150rwkw
how much did the manny conversion cost ya?

BA XR8 manual ute black

Post subject: I6 power
Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

$1650 from narrelan ford wreckers.. macarther parts.. drive in auto' drive out manual 5sp.. turn key.. inc instalation.. mad aye?

Post subject: I6 power
Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

my car runs 17 inch 5 spoke roh rims, 8 inch wide.. lowered 2inch.. all those engine mods.. venom rear wing.. cd' kenwood 6 splits, 7 by 10s' 2x12 inch pioneer subs... 8 interior neons red'blue and green".. and a few super bright blue L.E.Ds.. bit "ricey" i know.. :)

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:29 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

you may need to look into after market ecu soon dude
at least around 180+ rw hp

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:36 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EF GliXR

ACT, Australia

hey what does the venom rear wing look like?

\m/

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

so the Five speed conversion was worth it or not

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

I hate to burst your bubble dude but have you seen the fin in the combustion chamber that shrouds the intake valves in the ED head? This was deleted from the later model heads as it proved to be more of a hinderence than a help to flow rates and fuel atomisation. You might want to look into this before you stick it on your EF as you will probably get a lot more out of modding the EF head in comparison.

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Jaysen wrote:
I hate to burst your bubble dude but have you seen the fin in the combustion chamber that shrouds the intake valves in the ED head? This was deleted from the later model heads as it proved to be more of a hinderence than a help to flow rates and fuel atomisation. You might want to look into this before you stick it on your EF as you will probably get a lot more out of modding the EF head in comparison.

If thats the case it would be better to just swap the cam over and go from there. The cam would need to come out anyway, so you may as well

But then you dont have a head on your car while you modify it. Unless you could sell the head and get an el one?

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

And if you get an EL one make sure its an early series one as the hybrid motors (AU/EL) had the AU 1.8:1 rockers which wont accomadate your cam easily and you will loose a great deal of power trying to fit it anyway as the lift will be decreased

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Isuzu MU-X ,2018 Kia Cerato

QLD, Australia

did you have to do any mods to your computer after changing to a manual?? just wanted to know coz my EF Fairmont Ghia never had any conversions to the computer or anything else after the changeover to a manual. Is there any conversions that i need to do?

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1994 Ford EF Fairmont Ghia Sedan

VIC, Australia

voids wrote:
did you have to do any mods to your computer after changing to a manual?? just wanted to know coz my EF Fairmont Ghia never had any conversions to the computer or anything else after the changeover to a manual. Is there any conversions that i need to do?

at idle does the car sort "hunt" in the revs? if so then u really should have a manual ECU

btw. out of interest how much did it cost ya?

1994 ford fairmont ghia - Currently 302 with T5 - Work in progress :P

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:34 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

Jaysen wrote:

It's an ED XR6 head as opposed to a stocko Fairmont head though. I reckon the XR6 head would come out at least even or possibly on top power wise.

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Have you physically looked inside the 2 heads to compare? Tickford heads arent worth the T stamped on the front of them. The reason I say this is that the intake runners on tickford heads are riddled with casting imperfections as are the standard ones. Thats why with all the differences that the tickford cars had they only came up a couple of kw over standard motors

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Isuzu MU-X ,2018 Kia Cerato

QLD, Australia

comhelp wrote:
voids wrote:

at idle does the car sort "hunt" in the revs? if so then u really should have a manual ECU

btw. out of interest how much did it cost ya?

yep it hunts, and idles a bit rough sits on bout 600 or less then all of a sudden kicks up to 1100rpm. where would i get my hands on a manual ecu i would need a manual xr6 ecu.

i'm not too suer bout the cost cos i got the car from my brother and he did the conversion himself bout 3 years ago. he said the biggest drama was the pedals needed to be changed out. The tranny is out of a ED, i think he paid well bellow a grand for the parts and later sold his old tranny for $600.

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next