Fordmods Logo

L.P.G./duel fuel and Wade Stage 2 Cam 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: L.P.G./duel fuel and Wade Stage 2 Cam
Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

What about fitting one of these to a duel fuel car? Will I need to have the L.P.G. system retuned to suit it? Or will it self adjust after around 500 kilometers?

So I checked my bank account and there's more in there than I was expecting (a nice suprise with Christmas comming up), but instead of buying people presents, I'm gunna spend the bulk of it on me!

Anyways, so I've been looking into the Wade Stage 2 regrind cams. Contacted them by e-mail today and it's $122.10 inc. GST for a FordMods.com member and Freight by registered post to Tasmania would be $17.60 inc. GST.
I noticed that the deposit for the cam exchange has gone up, I'm sure it used to be $77.00, now it's $110.00, doesn't matter as it's refunded anyways...

So I asked about the shims need and they said "You will need double the thickness of the standard shims. i.e. 2 standard shims. You should be able to purchase these from a Ford dealer."
My question is 1. will my current stock cam set up already have shims in it, so I only need to buy one more set of the standard shims and then can use both the old and the new ones? And 2. is a Ford dealer the best place to buy them? Or would somewhere else be cheaper?

ANyone want to explain what a shim is? What sort of price should I expect to pay for them? How many do I need or how many are in a set (6)?

I'm gunna find a mechanic that'll do it for me, so is there anything else I should get checked while he's gone the cover off?

Last edited by twr7cx on Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ok first off. your engine already has the shims. the go in the rocker arms befor the lash adjusters. (lifters in old speak). as far as i know your ford dealer is the only place to get them. but there only about $20 any way.
you'll need 12 of them. and yes you use your old ones with the new ones

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Cheers for the reply, just for confirmation, I need 12 in totoal to install the new cam shaft, so as there are currently 6 in there that I can resuse, I need to buy another 6 from ym Ford Spare Parts to make the total of 12. Cheers.

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:30 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Fairlane

QLD, Australia

Not quite. Your car already has 12. Think of it this way, one inlet valve, one exhaust valve per cylinder, so 2 per cylinder, 6 cylinders, 12 shims. In total, with a wade cam, you need 24 shims. As you already have 12, you need to by 12 more. You could try a wrecker for a set of shims, depending on what the wreckers are like down there. As for ford, they range between about $2.50 and $4.50 EACH, so budget around $60 for the shims, and you should be fine.

Are you going to fit the cam yourself? If so, make sure you have a SINGLE hex 10mm socket to undo the rocker gear, as a multi hex will round the bolts. Whilst you are doing it, consider fittin up a new rocker cover gasket at the same time, mabey paint it, polish it..............

Also dont forget about the chain tensioner..........

If you are not confident, find a good mechanic to fit it for you. Its not a hard job at all (probably one of the easiest mods ive done to my lane), but if you get it wrong, it will cost you in the end.

EL GLI, White
Power windows, Fairmont/Ghia door trims, converted to manual, extractors, zorst, wade cam, stereo, Tickford ECU, Tickford body kit, XR wheel.....

Mods to come: 3:45 LSD sitting in shed!!

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Low Na wrote:
If you are not confident, find a good mechanic to fit it for you. Its not a hard job at all (probably one of the easiest mods ive done to my lane), but if you get it wrong, it will cost you in the end.

Cheers for that Low Na, I'd like to do it myself, or with my Dad's help, but he wouldn't approve and I couldn't stand antoher lecture about wasting money on the car, so I've got a mechanic whose doing it for me one weekend, and I'll help him and learn how to do it.

Ok, so I buy another 12 shims from Ford, ta. I've already painted the rocker cover, but the seal needs to be replaced as I think I damaged it when I put it back on last time. Is there anything else I check or do while were in there?

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:37 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Fairlane

QLD, Australia

If you have a mech givin you a hand, then you should be fine. Mabey think about doing an oil change with some engine flush before pullin off the rocker cover. That way, you can re-fill before you start it all back up, and you shouldnt have too many probs with noisey lifters.

EL GLI, White
Power windows, Fairmont/Ghia door trims, converted to manual, extractors, zorst, wade cam, stereo, Tickford ECU, Tickford body kit, XR wheel.....

Mods to come: 3:45 LSD sitting in shed!!

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:39 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Futura

VIC, Australia

you will need to remove the hydrolic lash adjusters in order to fit the shims. When you do this most likely you will find that the retainers/seals have come apart and will need to be replaced. I would have these ready, they only cost abour $20 for a set.

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: XR6

VIC, Australia

wade stage 2 is that a 1004

BA XR8 BOSS 260
Winter White
18' gt-p wheels
Flash Tuned
2 jl 13.5' w3's
tv indash

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF & VTR1000

NSW, Australia

yeah, preety sure stage 2 is 1004.

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2011 Kia Optima Platinum

VIC, Australia

To twr7cx.

We put the deposit price up because we were having to pay, on occasion, more than $77.00 for second-hand cams to use as stock. The majority of customers. for whatever reason, elect not to return a cam to us so we need to make sure that we don't loose money on the deposit we charge.

Cheers
Chris
For the team at Wade Cams

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

kodak wrote:
you will need to remove the hydrolic lash adjusters in order to fit the shims. When you do this most likely you will find that the retainers/seals have come apart and will need to be replaced. I would have these ready, they only cost abour $20 for a set.

Reckon Repco'd sell these? Just that they are generally cheaper than Ford...

Has anyone done this to an L.P.G./duel fuel car? How'd the L.P.G. system take it? Will I need to have mine retuned, or will it self adjust like the petrol will after about 500 kilometers?

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:11 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 2004 BA Falcon MkII

WA, Australia

Mate, I don't think the LPG system would adjust itself. LPG systems are very basic and any change to the car would require retuning the LPG.

Kel.
BHR
A/MD 1272
240 inch Dragster
466 Big Block Ford
650hp
8.40 @ 156mph (251kph)

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Epitome wrote:
Mate, I don't think the LPG system would adjust itself. LPG systems are very basic and any change to the car would require retuning the LPG.

Yeah, that's what I thought too, o well, another pain in the a***...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]