Fordmods Logo

novel ways to stop sump oil leak. 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: novel ways to stop sump oil leak.
Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Hi all,

My wifes EF is leaking a little oil from the front drivers corner of the sump gasket.
I tried tightening it, I tried loosening it, forcing gasket go and later on silicon into the gap and then tightening (to no avail)

So now I am thinking about how I used to seal leaking intake manifolds, spray them with hilomar when the engine was runnning and the low pressure would draw the hilomar in and seal the gap.

So I am thinking of rigging our industrial vacuum up to the oil filler and turning it on.. make a low pressure area inside the engine and then after cleaning the area, spraw a ton of hilomar into that corner to hopefully be sucked into the leak and sealing it.

has anyone any thoughts on the subject? I have neither the time or inclination to lift the engine and drop the sump at the moment.. so anything that seals the leak even for only 6 months to a year is better than nothing.

I have already put a treatment in the oil that is supposed to rejuvenate the rubber and other than making the engine run a bit smoother there is no difference to the leak.

any ideas folks?

cheers

Frank

Post subject: Re: novel ways to stop sump oil leak.
Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

An oil soaked cork gasket is never going to seal.
It wont even absorb the hylomar.
Setting up a negative pressure situation in the motor is an ambitious idea but wont work.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

yeah I know.

Thats why I am glad that this one is rubber or plastic.. (it's not rubbery but it may have been at some stage.) :-)

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

The original sump gaskets were a hard plastic with very thin rubber covering on the sides, and just rubber at the ends and were one piece.
If your going to try that idea, you'd have to drain the oil, loosen the sump bolts, clean it with carby spray, then brake cleaner after that to remove any oily residue, then go for it with the Hylomar and vacuum cleaner.....be interested in the results..... :)

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I was planning to drain the oil, and use the vacuum to suck a heap of dregreaser through the leak first, followed by some white spirits to wash out the degreaser and evaporate and finally copious amounts of hilomar.

Then flush through some oil to wash out any crap inside the sump and put oil back in and cross fingers.

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:58 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

given the work involved, wouldn't it just be easier to change the sump gasket? I know you don't want to, I get that, but your alternative sounds like a lot of work for a cure that lets face it probably isn't going to work...

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

instead of screwing around with ambitious ideas involving vacuum cleaners just pull the motor lol. get a few mates around, some piss, and she'll be done in a day.

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

Julius Caesar was once described as an ambitious man. And thats why they stabbed him........

I'm a +1 for the vac idea. Ambitious very. I think you might struggle getting a good vac & also the fact oil will want to get pulled in to the vacuum, but I think it could be a plausable idea.

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1992 EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

I've got this stuff called marine tex (basically a better version of jb weld) and I reckon it would work perfect for this. It's commonly used it to patch up crankcase seals on outboard motors which come under all sorts of pressure/leak out combustion gases so logically I'd think a sump gasket should hold up with it no worries.

It's like gasket goo but technically it's called epoxy filler I think but is actually used to fill leaks like this unlike gasket goo it can be sanded and shaped too it's awesome stuff if you're looking for a quick patchup

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:56 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: falcon au

QLD, Australia

You don't need to take the engine out,my mate has one of those bars that go across the engine bay and hold the motor up and just remove the sump cover and renew the gasket,i guess it is still an all day job,but it will be fixed right then.
A hoist would be the go or car stands will work and a trolley to lay on and get a mate to help as two people will make it easy.

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

um, have you even looked? To get the sump of it's either pull the motor or drop the whole K frame. And in my eyes, motor out is easier

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

89.SVO wrote:
um, have you even looked? To get the sump of it's either pull the motor or drop the whole K frame. And in my eyes, motor out is easier

I think I have done it without pulling the engine a long time ago in a VC commodore.

We undid the engine mounts and jacked the engine up as far as it would go without breaking anything.. then managed to get the sump down enough to change the gasket.

Not sure if that would work on the EF/EL, but I'm really not sure I wanna find out..

I will try this method of mine out of curiosity more than anything. If it doesn't work I've lost maybe an hour of the day.. (and learned something) The Vac is powerful and liquid friendly so it doesn't matter if it eats a bit of oil..

Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

I recomend buying a can of degreaser and pretend that it's fine.

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Pakrat wrote:
I recomend buying a can of degreaser and pretend that it's fine.

As much as I'd like to not worry about it.. I don't like the smell of cooking oil when it blows onto the exhaust.

I can now say I have given it a go. The 2400 watt vacuum cleaner fit nicely into the top oil hole.. The engine was per-emptied of oil.. and I blocked the bigger air leaks to increase the suction.

Then sprayed half a can of Hylomar on the leaking area... after spraying degreaser, followed by white spirits to get any oil out of the area. Don't know if it did the job or not.. but the suction was huge (you could strongly feel it when you put your finger over the hose coming from the back of the rocker cover) I will know by tonight if it worked.. will be stoked if it did cos I get a reprieve on dropping off the sump.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next