Fordmods Logo

nut this one out 

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

check the distributor, mainly the pickup and tfi module, if the dizzy is worn the shaft could be sloppy causing the pickup to be erratic, but a tfi module can also cause a similar problem if its bad. Put a timing light on it and watch the mark when its breaking down, see if its erratic
Other things that may cause it is MAP or TPS sensor.

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:01 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF FAIRMONT

VIC, Australia

ok tried a another map sensor still s**t, tries a different coil still playing up. will only break down on road test not in workshop so it a bit hard to test the dissy. geting one from the wreckers and will se how it goes. might swap the tps from my car and see how it goes as well.

WOLF V500, t66(ar70 compressor), rochester 550cc injectors, borgg 265l fuel pump, 48mm turbosmart gate, turbosmart plumb back bov, 600x300x100 cooler, 3 inch zorst , 3.45 lsd, xr6 head, wade 1604 cam, adjustable cam gear, K&N pod filter, on 10psi and manual convertion exedy button clutch. 285.6rwkw

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

so it only does it under load then?

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:20 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

If it is only under load, I'd say leads or fuel line.

When I changed the cam over in my car it idled smoothly and revved fine in the driveway. As soon as I went for a drive it would struggle, shudder, back fire and what not. Then during the night I fired her up with the bonnet up and found the leads to be shagged. you could see sparks within the leads half way down. Replaced that and it was fine.

Could be fuel filter as well...when I just bought my car, it was blocked and I didn't know. Rev it hard enough and it will hesitate and choke.

Just some of my experiences.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF XR8 347

Power: 232 rwkw

WA, Australia

dunno about stuck valves but what bout buggered/weakened valve springs? at 3000rpm they might not be able to close valves fast enough... just a random thought. :idea:

347 XR8 Build Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon XR8

WA, Australia

When i had the SOHC engine it would break down between 2000-3000rpm, i changed the leads, that helpped but did not solve the problem, i eventually traced it back to being the fuel pump. Sometimes they can still work but not at full capacity.

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF FAIRMONT

VIC, Australia

ok now have replaced dizzy, tried tps sensor still not coming good
might send computer away to get checked. if that aint it it looks like rocker cover off for a more in depth look at mechanicals.

WOLF V500, t66(ar70 compressor), rochester 550cc injectors, borgg 265l fuel pump, 48mm turbosmart gate, turbosmart plumb back bov, 600x300x100 cooler, 3 inch zorst , 3.45 lsd, xr6 head, wade 1604 cam, adjustable cam gear, K&N pod filter, on 10psi and manual convertion exedy button clutch. 285.6rwkw

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF V8 Futura, 180sx

QLD, Australia

dough this will help but just a thought try disconnecting o2 sensor and give it a go and see what happens if no better try coolant temp sensor and air temp sensor but id have to say coolant temp sensor good one for making a car brake down and not rev over certain rpm ask my mate and his 300zx lol off the road for week and i popped around one day to see why i hadn't seen him for a while and diag it in 10 mins and got him a new one and fitted it and he back on the road being a nusant lol

Ford EF Futura Black
18" koya Strykers, AU engine with port and polish EB head, crow valve springs, standard cam, Large aftermarket RX7 turbo, T5 manual 3" intercooler piping, 600x300x100 intercooler core, MSII with innovate wideband O2 sensor and guage. BA F6 bodykit

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:37 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Ford AU series 2 Wagon

VIC, Australia

maybe it it could be some of the following, the computer has s**t it self and is not operating correctly (this can occur if you have used your car to jump start someone if you don't know what your doing), or it could be that you need to replaceyour air filter and or clean the throttle body with some carby cleaner really let the stuff soak in for a little then fire up the car and give it some gas rev it a little to bloww all the carbon junk caught up inside your intake valves throttle sensor's and air inlet pipes...check also your rocker breather hose and make sure it is not blocked....

wagoff

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:54 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

whats this going to cost the customer. I think nearly everthings been covered.

Turbo 6s rule

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:32 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

I put money on it being the fuel side of things..

check fuel filter and fuel pump.. I would strongly suggest fuel filter, I had a very very similar issue, turns out it me neglecting to change the fuel filter..

My bad.

I have a car.

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB2

VIC, Australia

sounds like its could be the fuel pump ,mine just s**t itself in peak hour traffic but before was stuttering under load .

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2