Fordmods Logo

OIL ONCE AND FOR ALL 

Page 10 of 19 [ 284 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 19  Next

Post subject: Re: OIL once and for all
Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF XR8 347

Power: 232 rwkw

WA, Australia

Need to do an oil change on the stroker but not sure what the best oil to use would be. Usually I'd just use some 20w50 for replacement oil when it was a 200,000km 5L but its a diff story now. Any of you guys recommend anything in particular?

Cheers! :mrgreen:

347 XR8 Build Thread

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

s-tranzor

How many kms has the engine done???

Have u spoken 2 ur engine builder 2 see what they recommend???

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Last edited by MICKYYYY on Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF XR8 347

Power: 232 rwkw

WA, Australia

about 12,000km and no. cbf talkin to engine builder :P

347 XR8 Build Thread

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

LOL its just a phone call away hahaha

Well my engine builder used royal purple in my engine and then when i changed mechanic he then used redline and found them both to be good.

Id go for a at least a semi synthetic oil with a weight of 15w-40

Id also consider Penrite 15w-60 semi synth, a tad heavier but extra protection or Castrol edge 10w-60

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

uniacidz

Penrite is a great oil, u may notice it will run a tad smoother, im a fan of valvoline dura blend semi synthetic but im trying Nulon 15w-40 now so ill see how that goes but first imoression isent that great as they claim to reduce friction by 36%.

According to this fellow on another forum in his AU he gained 40-50 kms from using Nulon so thats why im trying it but my gauge is actually lower right now by 40kms hence my first impression isent so good.

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:19 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

i've been using castrol magnatec in my EF mont so far. 2 changes down since I got it
i did go thru 2 litres in 10000km however.

i drop in the nulon engine treatment prior to a change to get the oil nice and thin, take it for a drive, then drop the oil while its hot - makes sure it gets ALL the old oil out. top it up with the new magnatec 10w-40 and we're off for another 10000km stint.

my EF has just rolled over 250,000km. it appears that the head has been off and done at some stage too, so, not sure how the thing was treated/driven when the headgasket went, and how many changes were done at the time of the headgasket being replaced ...

FWIW i've used magnatec for years and years. no issues with it, albeit, it wasn't in Fords (sorry guys)

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:27 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AUII Futura

VIC, Australia

hi guys, just after a quick response if possible.
have a new AU motor in my AU, first 1500 was done on a mineral run-in oil (bursons brand i think), next 5000 have been on GTX 3 (semi synth) early change as i dont want too many particles floating around the engine as its just recently run in, now i want to go for a fully synthetic, and i'm thinking nulon hi-tech 10w-40? what kind of life will i expect out of the nulon?
cheers guys!

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU2 75th Anniversary Futura

SA, Australia

adam_k wrote:
have a new AU motor in my AU, first 1500 was done on a mineral run-in oil (bursons brand i think), next 5000 have been on GTX 3 (semi synth) early change as i dont want too many particles floating around the engine as its just recently run in, now i want to go for a fully synthetic, and i'm thinking nulon hi-tech 10w-40? what kind of life will i expect out of the nulon?
cheers guys!

I use this exact oil. The fast flowing full synth version. I can get up to 10,000km with this oil. I use a K&N oil filter to help collect as many particles in the oil. Nulon for me is the winner.

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AUII Futura

VIC, Australia

shav wrote:
adam_k wrote:
cheers guys!

I use this exact oil. The fast flowing full synth version. I can get up to 10,000km with this oil. I use a K&N oil filter to help collect as many particles in the oil. Nulon for me is the winner.

awesome, i ended up going for the nulon. and using a k&n too. so should be sweet!
next stop 10,000. cheers!

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

K&N oil filters will filter 98% at 35 microns,50% at 16 microns.

Donaldson endurence filters will filter
98.7% at 15 micron contaminants, 50% 7 micron.
they also have a higher dirt holding capacity and a higher crack pressure on the bypass valve

the cross reference for a ryco Z9 or motorcraft AFL1 is P-169071

Last edited by tickford_6 on Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

MICKYYYY wrote:
uniacidz

Penrite is a great oil, u may notice it will run a tad smoother, im a fan of valvoline dura blend semi synthetic but im trying Nulon 15w-40 now so ill see how that goes but first imoression isent that great as they claim to reduce friction by 36%.

According to this fellow on another forum in his AU he gained 40-50 kms from using Nulon so thats why im trying it but my gauge is actually lower right now by 40kms hence my first impression isent so good.

after years of saying penrite is crap due to sludging up engines (based on personal experience)
Through recent research i have found the reason.
Penrites basic HPR range has wide viscosity index, HPR10 is a 10W50 To do this they use Viscosity Index Improvers (VII) When oil is sheared between cam lobes and followers and on the loaded side of bearing during the power stroke, these VIIs are broken down, the result is thinning of the oil and sludge.
For further info. search the web.

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 i can tell how much you absolutely hate Penrite.

i agree with you that hpr is overpriced piss, but have you ever tried SIN 15 (SAE 15W-50)

i have been using sin range on my cars and i can vouch its worth every cent,
i no your fairly mechanically knowledged so whats your opinion on there sin range??

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

4dlvr wrote:
tickford_6 i can tell how much you absolutely hate Penrite.

i agree with you that hpr is overpriced piss, but have you ever tried SIN 15 (SAE 15W-50)

i have been using sin range on my cars and i can vouch its worth every cent,
i no your fairly mechanically knowledged so whats your opinion on there sin range??

the SIN range is probaly ok. It's possible to build a synthetic oil with wide vis index with only small amounts of VIIs if they use the right base oil.

But you know what they say about first impressions. Unfortunately previous experience has me very reluctant to use it again.

On further looking just now, They claim that SIN15 has no 'conventional' VIIs added and it will not suffer the same problems with shear as the other oils. SIN10 10W70 doesn't stat this in the data sheet, so i would asume that SIN10 contains conventional VIIs and would still suffer with shear issues.

SIN 0 says carefully chosen VIIs to reduce shear issues. but again i would assume, based on the way penrite has writen all this info, that to some degree it will still have the issue.

But thats only ever part of the story. the base oil is big factor, they claim to use POA and Ester oils in undisclosed % in the sin range.

My other concern is there 'thicker is better' marketing. It's false and misleading, but we'd have delve into used oil analysis to show it. I have seen results from 0W20 synthetic valvoline that out performs many of the supposed good oils in the xW40 and xW50 range.

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcoon BF

VIC, Australia

And guys, with a new engine, its always a good idea to stick a magnet onto the oil filter, its a sure fire way of catching & removeing all the running-in metal "paste" that you get in the first stages. It doesn't need to be anything special, I use old fridge magnets, and you can see what its caught after draining the filter and cutting it open.

Post subject: Re: OIL once and for all--updated first post--24.4.2010
Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

i just filled with 20w50 'for older engines'

eb2 with over 300,000kms and wade977b cam

makes a metal-on-metal noise for the first 2 secs after starting :S :S :S

is this oil too thick or something? I only used it rather than buying something specific because it was sitting in the garage so I didn't have to pay for it lol

1: Mum's car: ED XR6 wagon.zorst,stereo
2: My cars: Holden Monaro CV8-Z 2005. ls1 v8 :)
3: Nissan 180sx.sr20det, ~180rwkw.Lotsa mods,0-100 in 5.2secs.crashed into pole :(
4: EB2 Fairmont. 5spd,2.5" zorst,hi-flow cat,extractors,wade977b,j3, plus a 152dB 200psi train horn

Sort by  
 Page 10 of 19  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 19  Next