Fordmods Logo

OIL ONCE AND FOR ALL 

Page 6 of 19 [ 284 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 19  Next

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FGX G6ET

NSW, Australia

Well, I just put some Shell Helix Ultra (5W/40) into the EL XR6....seems to have made a difference...engine seems to run easier...will need to wait longer to see how fuel consumption goes...oil pressure is pretty much the same as before

I was running Penrite HPR 15 until now, but the /60 isnt really reccomended so I thought I'd try another one.

I also put in one of those purolator oil filters, people seem to have good things to say about them.

Oh and the mileage is at 166,000

Im happy! Condsidered the Mobil One but it was a big hike in price compared to the Shell.

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:13 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

I agree - I recently used Shell Helix in my EF just before I sold it and the engine felt much smoother. Less noise on start up as well.

The oil change for the EL XR6 is due soon and I know what I'm going to put in... 8-)

I'm also a fan of the Nulon oil additives. Anyone with noise on start up I recommend trying the E10 Worn Engine Treatment. Worked like a charm for my 275,000km old EF. :D

EL XR6

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

Power: 132 rwkw

QLD, Australia

bleh mine dont rattle much untill its warmed up heh, think its the power steering bearing making noise this time. 343000km now :D

175.7hp 15.5 @ 374,000km
Team I have two E-Series AND all my teeth.

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL XR6 5spd

Well this thread has rocked my boat a little..

I have heen using Penrite HPR GAS 20/60 for the entire 200,000km life of my engine (dual fuel).

The engine isnt really showing signs of wear, idles well and has good economy..
Im tempted to try a lower viscocity after reading this thread, but im suprised about these comments.

EL XR6 5spd

Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

Power: 132 rwkw

QLD, Australia

I'm now on 350,005 km as of tonight. I'll be taking it out to willowbank for more thrashing on thursday night.
shes a good un I tells ya.
Must have been made on the day the boss was watching HEHE.

not using gas anymore, so just using shell helix 20w50.
Rattles FTW!!!

175.7hp 15.5 @ 374,000km
Team I have two E-Series AND all my teeth.

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:59 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: R34 GTR

VIC, Australia

Shell Helix ULTRA is damn good! I used it for many years in my EF 6.....and my friend (who is an engineer at ford, and has driven many cars like mine) says that my EF went harder than any other one he has driven (fully stock ofcourse). I put it down to the oil....also because i was reading up on some oil tests that have been done, and shell ultra (5w40) has one of the best SHEAR (when oil loses its strength) rates of any other oil of the same price.

By the way, its been scientifically proven that the correct way to break in an engine is like this :

1. Sump full of cheap NON SYNTHETIC oil.

2. Start engine then start driving VERY EASY until engine reaches operating temp.

3. AS SOON as it reaches the operating temp (by the way at this point make sure your on a hi/free way and in 2nd gear (auto), 3rd gear (manual) ) from low revs put your foot flat on pedal (WOT) and hold it flat until u reach redline. Once at redlin, slam the throttle closed and let the car deccelarate by its own engine braking. (not "breaking"). When u chop the throttle at high revs the engine vacuum is huge!....and this 'vacuum' sucks out all the micro metal shavings from inside the combustion chambers. Then once your at low revs again give it flat stick and repeat this process again. Do this many many times. I would dedicate at least 1 whole day for this. Its all about putting the engine under LOAD. It pushes the Rings out against the Bore, 'grinding' them into shape, forming a 'uniform' surface with the bores themselves. Which in turn will give the best possible SEAL.
Whice THEN means your engine will experience MINIMAL possible 'Blow-By'. MINIMUL possible Oil consumpsion. BEST possible Fuel Economy. MAXIMUM possible Power & Torque!

Be sure to change your OIL & FILTER at 500k's. And DO NOT start using SYNTHETIC oil UNTIL 15,000k's!!!.

Feel free to PM me with any questions......or arguements, which i will prove wrong. :)

LUMPY-6

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF wagon & EF fairmont wagon & M

VIC, Australia

Ford have an LPG spec oil and It's a rebadged product from a major oil company. (I can't say who... trade secrets) My wife works for the oil packing company and It's very interesting how many products come from the same tanker.
BTW how much do you think a 44 gallon (205ltr)drum of Mobil 1 is worth?

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:35 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

I know this is an old thread now, but i read this test some students did on oil viscosity and friction wear.

Apparently, based on their results, Valvoline Durablend was one of the best, with less friction wear than some of the leading, more expensive brands.

Based on their friction tests, the average wear on the part being tested was around 7-8 millimetres. The durablend left a wear mark of just one millimetre. I think the durablend retails for around $40 for 5 litres. I'll try to find the link and put it on here.

Well, that's my two cents worth.

Life’s too short to be a pr!ck, which is why I only read decent forums, like FORDMODS!

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: XY GT, XY GS 351, XY Fairmont

WA, Australia

Is it still ok to use 15W50 in the XY? Its a 250.... 1971, not rebuilt.

XY Fairmont: 250, 3 on the tree, everything original except the paint
XY GS: 351, 4 speed - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7AiMqt6zFw
XY GT: 351, 4 speed

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: XY GT, XY GS 351, XY Fairmont

WA, Australia

Ok well today I stuck 15W40 in it... will it be ok or does it need to be 15W50

XY Fairmont: 250, 3 on the tree, everything original except the paint
XY GS: 351, 4 speed - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7AiMqt6zFw
XY GT: 351, 4 speed

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Ive got a bottle of BP Visco 3000 lying around the living room, and after reading all this its definately going in the EB instead of the AU. I think Ill go the Visco 5000 for the AU with its much lower starting weight.

Anyone have any bad thoughts about the BP Visco semi synth/ full synth oils?

Or will this shell helix ultra rock my world? I admit a warry caution to using shell helix products- any oil you can buy for 20 bucks in Kmart or Coles is about as good as using recycled oil to me. How does the ultra differ?

My old man recomended the Visco he uses on his BA mkII XR6T, (the 5000) was he correct in doing so?

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon

WA, Australia

Thanks For All The Info, It Was A Great Read! :D

What?

Ford Falcon AUII Wagon
Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" High Flow exhaust, High Flow Cat, K&N Filter, SS Induction, Slotted Cross Drilled Brakes. Pioneer Stereo System.

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

XY GT wrote:
Ok well today I stuck 15W40 in it... will it be ok or does it need to be 15W50

It all depends on the type of oil u use. U can have a fully kickass SYNTHETIC 15w40......and a cheap s**t oil thats also rated 15w40.

Does that mean they will both protect the same??......NO WAY!

The cheap s**t oil will 'shear' down to a 20 weight oil (even though it says 40) when its in the bearings (due to the heat and load).

Whereas the more expensive 15w40 will actually stay true to its claim, and remain a 40 weight oil in the bearings.

LUMPY-6

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:19 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: xf ute

NSW, Australia

xf 1985 4.1 new rebuild engine with ACL rings/pistons crow cam been to castrol oil web site and they recommend castrol magnatec 10w-40 or GTX 3 15w-40 for 3.3/4.1 ulp engs 1986-88 is this right i was thinking more along the lines of GTX 2 25w-50

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

break it in with GTX2 then switch to GTX3.

LUMPY-6

Sort by  
 Page 6 of 19  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 19  Next