Fordmods Logo

Pipe from TB to Air Box 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Pipe from TB to Air Box
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:44 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 2004 Ford BA MKII XR6

WA, Australia

I was wondering what people have done for this? I've been told that 3inch pipe from throttle body to air box is the least restrictive and I've got a quote from a guy in Perth who said he can do a pipe set up for $130 including silicone & clamps, with high polish S/S with lobster-back bends. Is that price okay? And is there any other types of set ups that are less restrictive. Also does anyone know of places in Perth to do these?

Thanks

2004 Ford BA MKII
XR6T upper snorkel, custom lower snorkel and K&N Panel filter
Custom sound system
4490 Pacemaker extractors
2.5" catback Lukey exhaust system

Post subject: Re: Pipe from TB to Air Box
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:58 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 2004 Ford BA MKII XR6

WA, Australia

I'm looking for something simple like download/file.php?id=22777 and http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i42 ... akepic.jpg

2004 Ford BA MKII
XR6T upper snorkel, custom lower snorkel and K&N Panel filter
Custom sound system
4490 Pacemaker extractors
2.5" catback Lukey exhaust system

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AUII Ghia 75th LE, KF 1.8S 5spd

VIC, Australia

How about something like this?

This is what i run these days and i only just re-did it so that it is nice and sealed with a 9" K&N Extreme Pod.

Cheers
Dan

THE Fairmont Ghia : 75th Anniversary LE
Current Mods - 2.5" Exhaust, Custom CAI, Built Gearbox( Mirror Polished Casing+Bellhousing,TCE 2500 custom convertor, Modified Valve Body), Detailed UnderCarriage, SQ Stereo Install = 136+rwkw
http://www.aufalcon.com.au/sikford

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Power: 162 rwkw

NSW, Australia

deleted...

07 BF MKII XR6T
310rwkw @ 13psi - Tuned By CMS

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

stainless steel absorbs heat. aluminum will be better as it does not conduct heat. but for the best cheapest thing, ring up a wrecker and get a ford territory intake pipe (make sure you also ask for the mounting bolts!!!!!!!!!!), shaped like the B series falcon one, but without the dimples. only problem is it sits a little higher and will rub on the sound deadening stuff.
its cheaper, plastic (less heat absorbed then metal), looks stock and works

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:58 am 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

Silly question but whats wrong with the original piping ?.
I cant see any performance gains from it. Is at more just for looks ?

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

winman wrote:
stainless steel absorbs heat. aluminum will be better as it does not conduct heat.

thats rubbish mate, aluminium is a VERY GOOD conductor of heat.

This is the reason why heat exchangers are made from aluminium (radiators, intercoolers, refrigeration coils, heat sinks, etc)

personally i would choose stainless over alloy in an engine bay, mainly because it retains its polished look, and is harder to damage.

Alloy dulls over time, and gets scratches even from just wiping it down....

winman wrote:
but for the best cheapest thing, ring up a wrecker and get a ford territory intake pipe (make sure you also ask for the mounting bolts!!!!!!!!!!), shaped like the B series falcon one, but without the dimples. only problem is it sits a little higher and will rub on the sound deadening stuff.

this is a silly idea, why change a stock part that works fine, for another stock part that gives you no gains and damages the bonnet lining at the same time???

07 BF MKII XR6T

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:11 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

FAST-XR wrote:
winman wrote:
stainless steel absorbs heat. aluminum will be better as it does not conduct heat.

thats rubbish mate, aluminium is a VERY GOOD conductor of heat.

This is the reason why heat exchangers are made from aluminium (radiators, intercoolers, refrigeration coils, heat sinks, etc)

Was thinking the same thing...aluminium/copper have good thermal conductivity for heat exchanging.

Stainless steel has a low thermal conductivity, good for insulation. It might heat quicker but it won't hold it longer nor as much as aluminium/copper.

Also if you plan on getting stainless steel intake and worry about heat issues...get it ceramic coated (if possible on stainless steel...not sure on that).

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

phongus wrote:
Stainless steel has a low thermal conductivity, good for insulation. It might heat quicker but it won't hold it longer nor as much as aluminium/copper.

Alloy will absorb heat quicker, but also cool down alot quicker... it works both ways....

stainless steel is a metal. metals are conductors and not insulaters of heat.

07 BF MKII XR6T

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:15 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

FAST-XR wrote:
phongus wrote:

Alloy will absorb heat quicker, but also cool down alot quicker... it works both ways....

stainless steel is a metal. metals are conductors and not insulaters of heat.

Sorry don't know how I came up to that conclusion...I was thinking along the lines of thermal conductivity, whereby Stainless steel has a much much lower value than copper/aluminium. Maybe I'm getting confused with heat transfer...oh never mind.

Thank you for your correction :)

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Quote:
winman wrote:
but for the best cheapest thing, ring up a wrecker and get a ford territory intake pipe (make sure you also ask for the mounting bolts!!!!!!!!!!), shaped like the B series falcon one, but without the dimples. only problem is it sits a little higher and will rub on the sound deadening stuff.

fast xr wrote:
this is a silly idea, why change a stock part that works fine, for another stock part that gives you no gains and damages the bonnet lining at the same time???

look underneath the intake pipe on a xr6/xt it has large dimples where it sits over the intake manifold. the ford territory pipe does not have this, its pretty much the same diameter the whole way. the gain is little but it is still their, im not the first and certainly wont be the last to change over the the territory intake pipe.

as for aluminum vs steel. steel holds heat aluminum doesn't. still don't believe me? turn your oven on, put down a sheet of aluminum and a sheet of steel. wait 30 mins get a infrared thermometer and hit both, or touch them, aluminum will be warm, steel will be hot and burn you.
you asked why is aluminum used for radiators simple, if it doesn't hold heat and it dispels heat then it is a better material to use. no point using a product that's going to stay hot for a cooling purpose.
for performance perspective aluminum will be a better material then S/steel, however s/steel looks better and last longer

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

winman wrote:
therefore steel is a good conductor of heat while aluminum isn't.
please stop talking about things you dont understand, your confusing people on this forum with your dribble...

07 BF MKII XR6T

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

for intake material Aluminum > Steel

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Vixen Red 09 FG XT

QLD, Australia

Can I add, I used mild steel, and i drove home from the coast one day at a little bit of a quick pace. anyways, I pretty much craked the bonnet cause I wanted to give the filters a clean, and check oils etc. TB piping was barely warm, after an hour and a half of solid driving.

VIXEN FG XT Previous best - 14.431 @ 99.69mph with minor mods
Currently 14.235 @ 101mph same mods. Bring on the 13's!

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:21 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 13.41 @ 102mph

QLD, Australia

winman wrote:
Quote:
winman wrote:

fast xr wrote:

look underneath the intake pipe on a xr6/xt it has large dimples where it sits over the intake manifold. the ford territory pipe does not have this, its pretty much the same diameter the whole way. the gain is little but it is still their, im not the first and certainly wont be the last to change over the the territory intake pipe.

Spot on winman ...fasty has no clue and sounds like a blowhard in an N/A forum because he has a turbo lol... small mans syndrome i guess :roll:

i am a banned wanker!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next