Fordmods Logo

poor fuel economy in XH ute 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: poor fuel economy in XH ute
Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

So the ute only got 380ks to the tank last week.
Its a manual with a hybrid engine and bbm. Tune is a srandard xr6 map with timing added. No changes to the fuel map but I'm use a 270kph fuel reg so shouldn't be rich though it is a tiny bit.

Its doing better since then due to a few changes but not great.
So I don't miss anything, without saying what I've done, what xan be done/changed/replaced etc to improve econony?

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Post subject: Re: poor fuel economy in XH ute
Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i changed the fuel pump over today. the old one was screaming lol. the new one purrs even though its second hand.
now i checked the fuel pressure. its on around 221kpa.
ill swap in another one from the wreckers and give that a go and might grab another fuel pump just in case.

but, will fuel pressure that low have an adverse effect on economy?
or should i keep looking for the reason for poor economy?

so far i've done oxy sensor, water temp sensor, checked and fixed vac leaks, intake manifold gasket, cleaned t/b, fuel filter, run injector cleaner through the tank, thermostat, new air filter, fixed exhaust leaks, spark plugs.

leads are new enough but dizzy cap and rotor will be next on my list as well as fuel pump and service fuel sender. i cant think or anything else to do now.

oxy sensor was done today and already im getting 40ks more to $20. yesterday i got 70ks to $20 lol but the day before i got 110ks to $20. today im on 80ks and its only just hit the red bit on the gauge. so im hoping to get it to 10l/100km which i think is quite achievable and hopefully the oxy sensor should be enough to get it.

so yeah, any other suggestions would be appreciated :)

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Post subject: Re: poor fuel economy in XH ute
Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:10 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I was going to suggest O2 sensor and vacuum leak, but it seems you have replaced/fixed those.

Run a full tank of fuel and see how you go.

I used to get 12L/100km with the EL Fairmont as a daily (metro/highway). So 10L/100km seems good.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]