Fordmods Logo

Recommended mods for my tickford el 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Recommended mods for my tickford el
Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:58 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 94 ford fairmont ghia tickford

VIC, Australia

I have a 94 fairmont ghia with a tickford engine and i was just wondering waht mods i can do other than turboing and supercharging it for it to get more power, the car already has racing series pacemaker extractors 2.5 inch exhaust highflow stainless steel cat and a mild cam, any suggestions? thanx in advance

Post subject: Re: Recommended mods for my tickford el
Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

Intake and a tune?

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

isnt 94 ef ??

headwork,manual

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:16 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

94 is EF and it is series I which wasn't fitted with any Tickford gear. Ghia's were only Ticky enhanced from series II onward.

Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:18 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

sorry my bad its a 96, i want to keep it auto for now, any specific headwork mods and intake mods?
i no it has a tickford engine from the engine plates under the bonnet.

Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

Has it got the red rocker cover on and the T on the front of the head? These 2 combined give you plenty of horseflys

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

as for headwork. get a port n polish bigger valves, head shaved for higher comp. will cost $1000 and more, or just stick to basic mods or go all out . up to you

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

If it is in fact 96 it should definitely be tickford spec.

As for mods, you could free up the intake with 3" piping from throttlebody to airbox and fit an BA/BF XR6T intake snorkel. Piping can be done DIY style with a few different stainless steel or alloy bends and a few silicon elbows and joiners or you could buy a factory BA/BF intake pipe assembly and adapt it to suit which isn't hard at all. A more aggressive cam, possibly something like a 977B from Wade (although I don't know what cam you're currently running) with a J3 chip dyno tuned to suit would go well and still be alright with an auto.

If you are prepared to take the head off and prepared to throw quite a bit of coin at it, get it reco'd with new/re-lined valve guides, new stem seals, 3 angle seat cut and valve grind, shaved say ~20thou and get it re-fitted with an AU multilayer steel gasket. Maybe get a set of Crow valve springs fitted at the same time (cam choice will determine which springs will be most suitable)With port work, I'd say a good pocket port, a bit of work done flattening and widening the short side radius' and a good clean up of any burrs in the port runners should be fine without going too over the top.

If you are wanting a bit more get up and go and are dead set on keeping it auto, maybe consider shorter diff gears. 3.91:1 or 4.11:1 gears seem to be a popular choice with an auto trans, would make it quite snappy off the mark.

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:10 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

bry40l wrote:
Has it got the red rocker cover on and the T on the front of the head? These 2 combined give you plenty of horseflys

Yeh it has red rocker cover and the t, and on the engine plater under motor it has "x" when its normaly a "m" or "h"

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:12 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

KWIKXR wrote:
If it is in fact 96 it should definitely be tickford spec.

As for mods, you could free up the intake with 3" piping from throttlebody to airbox and fit an BA/BF XR6T intake snorkel. Piping can be done DIY style with a few different stainless steel or alloy bends and a few silicon elbows and joiners or you could buy a factory BA/BF intake pipe assembly and adapt it to suit which isn't hard at all. A more aggressive cam, possibly something like a 977B from Wade (although I don't know what cam you're currently running) with a J3 chip dyno tuned to suit would go well and still be alright with an auto.

If you are prepared to take the head off and prepared to throw quite a bit of coin at it, get it reco'd with new/re-lined valve guides, new stem seals, 3 angle seat cut and valve grind, shaved say ~20thou and get it re-fitted with an AU multilayer steel gasket. Maybe get a set of Crow valve springs fitted at the same time (cam choice will determine which springs will be most suitable)With port work, I'd say a good pocket port, a bit of work done flattening and widening the short side radius' and a good clean up of any burrs in the port runners should be fine without going too over the top.

If you are wanting a bit more get up and go and are dead set on keeping it auto, maybe consider shorter diff gears. 3.91:1 or 4.11:1 gears seem to be a popular choice with an auto trans, would make it quite snappy off the mark.

that piping and gear ratio advice i like i think i might take that into consideration as i would like it to be snappy off the line so yeah, it already has had a full engine reco 20k clicks ago so its still pretty new

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

Hi-stall converter will make a dramatic improvement to the way it drives off the line and in traffic but you'll retain good economy and easy cruising. I've fitted a TCI "HD XR6" converter - 2500-3000 stall - and am extremely happy with it. You're looking at about $350 or so for the converter and about $450 to have it installed - add a couple hundred more if you don't already have a trans cooler as you'll need one of those as well.

In the "JMM Dev4" thread I posted a quote from a guy in 2006 who fitted what sounds like the same converter I've got - he said back then exactly what I've found with my recent converter change.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL xr6

VIC, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
Hi-stall converter will make a dramatic improvement to the way it drives off the line and in traffic but you'll retain good economy and easy cruising. I've fitted a TCI "HD XR6" converter - 2500-3000 stall - and am extremely happy with it. You're looking at about $350 or so for the converter and about $450 to have it installed - add a couple hundred more if you don't already have a trans cooler as you'll need one of those as well.

In the "JMM Dev4" thread I posted a quote from a guy in 2006 who fitted what sounds like the same converter I've got - he said back then exactly what I've found with my recent converter change.

hey mate where did you find this high stall for $350? im looking for one but will most likely fit it myself could send me a number or a link?

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

My Build: the-garage-f53/daniels-el-xr6-build-t100586.html

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:43 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

wild-el wrote:
Greenmachine wrote:

hey mate where did you find this high stall for $350? im looking for one but will most likely fit it myself could send me a number or a link?

torque convertor industries, 02 98387933.
i recently purchased one for my car it was $400 with 12 months waranty..

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Buy my JMM DEV 5 engine, lol ...sorted :wink:

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd manual, with BF F6 TYPHOON motor and supporting mod's, 3" exhaust etc..
(298 rwkw @ 12 psi)

My car here: the-garage-f53/mark-s-el-xr6-bf-f6-dohc-transplant-in-progress-t106821.html
BF TYPHOON BOOSTED!!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]