Fordmods Logo

Redback 2.5" Cat Back Systems Leaky ? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Redback 2.5" Cat Back Systems Leaky ?
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:21 pm 

Ride: Drives Like Fun

Power: 318 rwkw

Location: Melbourne Interior: Cappucino Exterior: Sparkling Burgundy
VIC, Australia

Hi All,

I know a couple of people who have had problems with these cat-back zorsts - where the pipe enters the front of the middle muffler (well the one just before the rear wheel arch) it has cracks on the bottom part where the pipe is wielded to the muffler.

Has anyone else had similar problems ? I am looking at a redback system for my baby, but will steer clear if others have had similar problems.

Thanks,
Steve

Vic Cruises & Events

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

happened to me twice steve.

Get it redone as most places give a 2 year warranty on labour/parts now.

What the guy did last time was put a small metal piece from pipe to muffler to stop it from flexing, but i also found that a dodgy job also doesnt help it.. got the owner of the place i went to last time to do itand they put new pipe bits just before it etc and it seems to be holding up well now.

My suggestion is new muffler, get a hiflow one like mine, lil noisier but better flow for your t?

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

Funny enough I heard the same thing, went n spoke to the guys at daalder exhausts dande n they showed me some that have cracked, he said it had to do with incorrect fitting and being bottomed out; he had seen a handfull which were dodge over the years after installing on the car but assured me they took them off n swapped for new unit and sent the dodge one away..
Anywho, ended up getting one fitted and was more than happy; actually got under it in the workshop n it wasnt leaking or cracked at that stage; just passed a roadworthy 5 months later n still looks brand new im told.
Has 2 years warranty, and im happy with the sound.
Done.

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MkII XR6 Ute

VIC, Australia

my redback 2.5" has just cracked in the exact same spot... just hunting for the receipt to go back... i think it may have had to do eith scraping the end of the tip a little bit, but im talking pretty tiny scrapes, not enough to do this to most other exhausts...

We'll keep our cow s**t in the country, you keep your bull s**t in the city.

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA MkII XR6 Ute

VIC, Australia

just wondering, if i cant find the receipt, and the place wont cover it, how much of a job is it to be fixed, ie how much $$$?? can it just be rewelded??

We'll keep our cow s**t in the country, you keep your bull s**t in the city.

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:25 pm 

Ride: Drives Like Fun

Power: 318 rwkw

Location: Melbourne Interior: Cappucino Exterior: Sparkling Burgundy
VIC, Australia

Interesting to hear of multiple similar instances ! I think Redback should be giving us some answers !!

Fuzzy - yeah it's all up in the air atm...I need a cat-back system of *some kind* - I really don't want to go custom...but after this, I'm not so keen on a redback system anymore...I will have to look for something else.

Daniel - Incorrect fitting 'eh - I'll have to make mention of this to whoever I get my zorst done by...the only thing I can think of is not using gaskets where they should or if the hooks that suspend the zorst are perhaps bent *shrugs* - something to think about though.

tomcolahan - You have me thinking that it could be a bottoming out issue - not on the actual muffler...but yeah - the tip when going up and down driveways etc...I only make mention of this because the other cars that this has happened to have been lowered (King lows / XR ride height predominantly) so this may also be a contributing factor *shrugs*.

An interesting point made to me is the build up of moisture in our systems...this can lead to rusting (hey, it's only mild steel!) where moisture settles - ie the particular muffler wield in question :?:

On the other hand - given Redback systems are so popular...we could just be a part of a minority who have copped either poor installation or bottom out more-so than the average falcon driver *shrugs* - very interesting people...thanks for the replies !

Cheers,
Steve

Vic Cruises & Events

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF XR6

SA, Australia

It might have something to do with the kind of falcon which we would own. Interesting point dcstraight. It would also seem interesting that the redback problem seems to happen within 6 months of having the system fited.
I would just keep the receipt and make sure the exhaust is inspected just before the warrenty runs out.

Not lost any demerit points

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

I agree, theres obviously problems with either fitting or the strength of the unit in paticular joints; i feel being mild steel as you say steve it could have something to do with rust maybe - its more than possible.
I decided to give it a go anyway as he said if anything happens you get a brand new one with the reciept within 2 years.. i couldnt fin this type of warranty anywhere else actually, not to say it doesnt exist.

I looked at lukey also, however didnt like the sound as much (not that it sounded bad) also coudlnt find a local stockist.

Anywho, ive had mine for a while now, and its been bottomed out n copped a bash or two; still holding up very well; maybe im just lucky in that respect? :?

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: falcon V8

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

i think it dose come down to how well it's been installed to the amount of moisture that is in the pipe and how long it sits for.
You could always ask for thicker pipe, i think the standered is 2.5mm? but you can get up to 3.5mm wall thickness, but some zorst shops don't like it coz it's to hard to bend and weld.

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Yep mine cracked around the welds on the first muffler (I only have a single muffler, no resonator) Mine was just over 2 years old but I took it back saying it'd only been 18 months (no receipt) and he said yeah no worries I'll order a new one.

He then got under the car and had a minor whinge saying he'd have a fight on his hands getting them to cover it under warranty because my muffler had scrapes on it. Nothing much, just some minor scraping on the lowest part of the muffler (the 'end caps', not the actual body of the muffler itself) He reckoned the car was too low but it's only riding on kings lows (about tickford equilavent) so bah!

ImageImage

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA GT

WA, Australia

how much are you fellas paying for these red back systems?

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:26 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB 5Spd

QLD, Australia

i had a lukey in my ea ghia, it cracked on the rear part of the muffler where it joins just b4 the diff, so i had the muffler removed and aresonator put in, damn taht sounded tough :)

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:27 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF XR6

NSW, Australia

I have a cat back redback system and it is cracked at the weld going into the resonator before the rear wheel arch.I have only had it scrape once slightly on a speed bump nothing serious enough to crack it as bad as it is.
It is over 12 months old so i'm not sure if it is poor manufacturing or a weak point in the system that if possible could use supporting???

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Ive the same thing but a Lukey, no cracks yet but by the look of the way the system hangs there is a big strain at that point, you guys might want to ask them to weld on anouther hanger.
I'll be getting a 3in system soon as this pea shooter is restrictiong flow, so if anyone wants a 6month old Lukey system...

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

Well to the contrary I have just done the once over check underneath my EL and have checked for obvious signs of cracks or cracking on my exhaust system as I had a Redback sports exhaust fitted on my EL about 3 years ago. I think it basically comes down to how professional was the guy who installed your Redback System as I had mine done at reputable place and I overseed the work that was done. He actually put in extra bracket it seems :lol: 8-)

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next