Fordmods Logo

removing stuffed head bolts. 

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: FG-XR6 EL EA '24 Dodge

NSW, Australia

Unless the head of the bolt has already snapped off from the shank of the bolt then the screw extractor won't have a hope in hell. It will snap off in the bolt for sure.
I'd try and drill the head off the bolt and after you've lifted the head off get the bolt out with a proper stud remover tool.

As Sigfried once said "Nein Nein Ninty Nine"

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

If you haven't broken the heads off the bolts, I used an air tool socket. The actual socket is stronger, and made to tighter specs. That and a bloody big bar extension pipe.!!! (about 900 mm long) I laso "gently" applied steady pressure to the bolts, rather than "jerking" them to get them undone.

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:58 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

mm got these cool stud extracors which are basically a socket u place over teh broken stud and use a 1/2" drive on the end of it works wonders !

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Yeah, they can work wonders on damaged heads. Basically theyre an offset circle, that when turned puts pressure on the bolt while undoing. The tighter the bolt is, the more pressure it puts on it to stop it rounding

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:12 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

yup awesome they are
had to use one ona thread cleaner that brok in a exhaust manifold... only thing was that i had to smack the stud remover on with a hammer! then it came out heheh

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

If the heads of the bolts are ok try using a impact wrench with a impact socket. If the head of the bolt snaps off you can heat the bolt shaft with oxy, once you have removed the cylinder head.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:23 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

lol, I remember my bolt snapping experience... snapped the intake thermostat bolt. the one that goes into the cylinder head... oh man, drilled a whole for the extractors... snapped a drill bit inside (a good drill bit), bigger drill bit, snap, so forth after 3 drill bits, a just used a slighter bigger one, got a whole, stuck in the extractor, snap. lol, had to get one of the guys from on here, to come over, and drill it out... took him a WHILE.

Anyway, moral of the story... don't snap bolts? don't snap driill bits in bolts? and definately don't snap thos extractors inside... lol.
Sad days of my life...

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

Just give the bolt head a good smack with a hammer and punch, this should 'crack' the bolt head and threads enough to get it out easily.

Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I had trouble getting 2 of my head bolts out of an AU the secret is always use an impact socket, they have a thicker outside wall and wont round the heads off the bolts if you use any normal sockets the will definately round atleast 1 of the bolts.

Moral of the story use the right tool to start with and you shouldn't have any problems.

Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

as jay said. always use a 6 point impact socket. if that socket ever rounds even one bolt, throw it away and get a new socket.
if the bolt stil won't come out, belt s**t outta the head of the bolt until the socket won't go on, then hammer the socket on. next step is to do stuff like mentioned above.

Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:50 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: FG II G6E TURBO

VIC, Australia

This works with rounded head bolts, smash a e10 socket (female torx bit) on the bolt head and remove like normal, it works like an interference fit and the cause of the shape internally it bites into the head of the bolt thus creating a tight reliable grip

Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:45 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB 5Spd

QLD, Australia

those bloody ez out bolt extractors are a b**ch, trying to repair my uni joint where it connects to the diff, (the old xf style one with the U clamps that hold the uni joint on), all the bolt heads snapped off and wella no more uni joint, anyways drilled them all out got two out the third one the ez out snapped off inside, no amount of drilling would get it out, had to replace the whole yoke that was a complete pain in the a**, never agin will i replace a yoke taht goes into the diff :(

cheers

chris

Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:24 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

NSW, Australia

DrE wrote:
those bloody ez out bolt extractors are a b**ch, trying to repair my uni joint where it connects to the diff, (the old xf style one with the U clamps that hold the uni joint on), all the bolt heads snapped off and wella no more uni joint, anyways drilled them all out got two out the third one the ez out snapped off inside, no amount of drilling would get it out, had to replace the whole yoke that was a complete pain in the a**, never agin will i replace a yoke taht goes into the diff :(

cheers

chris

lol, try getting 3 drill bits and 2 eazy outs stuck in your head.... THAT was a pain in the a**.... never again...lol

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:36 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

I found a socket design called Metrinch got my rounded head bolts out. I tried drilling, different sockets etc didn't work, til a mate told me about this type. It pulls on the flats of the bolt instead of the corners. Worked for me!!!

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2