Fordmods Logo

Replacing a leaky sump gasket 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Replacing a leaky sump gasket
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

What is the best way for me to go about replacing my sump gasket on my EL? ford want $625 ($25 for the gasket and 5 hours labor)

They justify the steep $625 by saying they have to drop the K frame blah blah blah and I asked about what kind of gasket they are going to replace it with and they said they only use aftermarket cork gaskets and as I recall when I worked at ford we had a very tidy EL fairmont ghia come in for a sump gasket replacement and they replaced it with another cork one and it ended up leaking worse... (is cork just s**t or bad worksmanship? (I didn't work on that car just for the record)

Mine doesn't really leave oil on the ground but you can see where it has seeped out and there is oil on the back of the K frame, The oil level doesn't really seem to drop so is it even worth replacing mine if it's not really causing any issues?

Does anybody have any tips or tricks for replacing the sump gasket without having to take the engine right out and without dropping the subframe (I don't have the tools or facilities to do either) and what are the pros and cons of rubber gaskets vs cork?

Post subject: Re: Replacing a leaky sump gasket
Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:37 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XH UTE

QLD, Australia

Pretty much the only choices you have. Dropping the K frame would be the easiest way I reckon. If it's not too bad then leave it until it really needs doing.
I've heard the same about the cork gaskets too.

Vintage bmx collector. What ya got?

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

Need to pull the motor out or drop the K frame, there's no way around it.

Gab

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Futura DUH

NSW, Australia

Shano.T wrote:
as I recall when I worked at ford we had a very tidy EL fairmont ghia come in for a sump gasket replacement and they replaced it with another cork one and it ended up leaking worse... (is cork just s**t or bad worksmanship? (I didn't work on that car just for the record)

Mine doesn't really leave oil on the ground but you can see where it has seeped out and there is oil on the back of the K frame, The oil level doesn't really seem to drop so is it even worth replacing mine if it's not really causing any issues?

Probs did'nt fit it properly.

Cork is fine if it is done with care and the right sealant (only on the joins between the rubber and cork)

You can undo the engine mounts and lift the engine, slip the old one out and throw the new one in, though it is a bastard to do (I had to do mine twice and it was on a stand!)

1996 EF Futura factory manual
Fully rebuilt engine,Decked, Honed, Bored, Tolerences spot on, Wade 1673, Extractors, 2.5" zorst, 3" CAI, High flow filter, Exedy sports tuff clutch, Chiptorque tune.
Future Mods: A mortgage...

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:53 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

The mighty pretty and reliable rubber gaskets Ford used for the EF/EL are all NLA now. The only option is aftermarket cork.

The factory gaskets would require an engine out/k-frame removal to fit properly.

The aftermarket cork ones can be done with the engine lifted high off the mounts and some care. But it would be paramount you didn't overtighten the sump bolts or it will cause the gasket to bulge and leak. They have a real low torque limit, something like 8nm.

Are you sure its the sump. Could just as easily be:

1. Rear main... The leak will appear to be the same as a sump leak.
2. The rear most 6 bolts come loose letting the seal leak a bit. They have loctite from the factory, but considering its 10+ years on, the bolts will be there but not tight at all.

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:54 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

I am lead to believe that it's the sump gasket because there is a small amount of oil built up on the bottom of the sump...

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:03 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Wagon

ACT, Australia

I'd try a new sump plug washer before doing the sump gasket. I thought mine had a leaking rear main oil seal or sump gasket. Checked it more thoroughly last weekend and it ended up just being the sump plug washer was weeping a little and the oil ended up right along the bottom of the sump back to the bell housing.

New sump washer, all fixed.

96 EF Wagon, PRINS VSI LPG, Wade 1636, 4480's, Redback zorst, Metalcat, 3 angle valve job, .5mm overbore, hypertec pistons, shaved head (because the head was banana shaped when I brought it), Tickford 16" alloys, KYB shocks, 30mm sway bar, 1 1/2 degrees negative camber, tow bar, roof racks.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

EF Wagon wrote:
I'd try a new sump plug washer before doing the sump gasket. I thought mine had a leaking rear main oil seal or sump gasket. Checked it more thoroughly last weekend and it ended up just being the sump plug washer was weeping a little and the oil ended up right along the bottom of the sump back to the bell housing.

New sump washer, all fixed.

ahh! never even thought of that... I did notice last time I serviced my car that the little rubber looking seal on the last few threads of the sump plug was starting to deteriorate... didn't even think that that may be the cause of the leak *face palm* cheers mate you may have just saved me a big headache with the sump gasket.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:12 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

There is no rubber looking seal on the last few threads of an EL sump plug.

Factory they are aluminium washers... Aftermarket you get aluminium or nylon washers.

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:08 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

arm79 wrote:

Factory they are aluminium washers... Aftermarket you get aluminium or nylon washers.

Sorry, I wasn't aware that you could see my sump plug?

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:01 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Shano.T wrote:
arm79 wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't aware that you could see my sump plug?

I really am quite good... :wink:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]