Fordmods Logo

Sluggish and running out of puff 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: Sluggish and running out of puff
Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:59 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Gday all, ever since I've converted the car over to a manual I've noticed that she kinda runs out of pull at around 3 grand. Not neccesarily bogs down or anything, just that she runs kinda sluggish and makes a fair bit of noise but doesn't really go anywhere. I figured it was just because of shorter gears now as a manual, when it was an auto she used to do the same, just higher up in the rev range. It's not a major issue, just a bother, it feels like it's just not pulling as hard or going as fast as it should. I changed the leads and plugs over the other day and figured I'd do a compression test whilst I was there, the results were... varied to say the least.

No Oil Oil All PSI
1 180 200
2 160 190
3 175 190
4 145 175
5 165 175
6 160 180

I'm figuring I just leave well enough alone because aside from drinking juice she blows no smoke, doesn't burn much oil, clean oil and water, just what is it that's gone? Valve seals? At 250,000ks I wouldn't be suprised. The cars a champion though considering how it was neglected, not thrashed or anything but I've just come across things here and there. Like the fact that it's still running factory XR6 springs and shocks. I have a full service history with the only shock/strut change having been done at around 50k. Yep, nearly 200k old shocks. I'll change the seals (and everything else) if I ever get round to re-doing the head but as long as she's running there's some other things like rent that have to come first :)

Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 Au wagon

NSW, Australia

that indicates the piston rings are shot.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]