Steering wheel shudder 

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Steering wheel shudder
Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:05 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU Falcon

WA, Australia

Hey

I went to do a pad change on my 96 EF falcon a few weeks ago when i noticed my right rotor had a crack in it.

Anyways i had my mechanic do a front and rear pad change and replace the front rotors.

Two weeks prior to this i had new tyres put on the car, balance and wheel alignment done. Everything was running sweet.

After the my mechanic did the job i got on the freeway reached 100kmh and my steering wheel starts shaking and shuddering like all hell -_-, then it stopped and then it started shuddering again so i pulled over and checked the wheel nuts.... they were a bit loose but nothing dangerous.

I took the car home and tightened all the wheel nuts, checked underneith the car to have a look and checked the give in the wheel to see the bearing were put in right.

Then i took the car to have another wheel balance where they told me it was fine and hadnt dropped any weights.

So what has happened??? the car was perfectly fine until the pads and rotors were changed what the hell did he do??? Could it be that maybeythe rotors arent bolted on properly and are loose???

Any help would be gr8

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

Take it back to the guys who did the breaks, but to me it sounds like wheel bearings.. very common and thats the symptoms.

How long ago where they replaced?

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Check the inner tie rod ends, mine was the same around 100k's steering wheel would shake, it was found to be the righthand inner tie rod end. cost about $100 to replace. I believe the tie rod is around $60 from ford, if you want to do it yourself.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6T

i had shudder at about 100kms in my EF, i got the rotors machined and it was fine...
since u have new rotors i would be doin as madmax and Daniel said....

300+rwkw HeadsexTuned XR6 Turbo Ute *NOW SOLD :(*
MK Triton with 31" muddies, 2" lift and 3" turbo back exhaust etc...

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA GT

WA, Australia

same thing with my EA but at about 120, got tie rod joints changed ($80 both) everything is sweet! ;)

Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:56 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

From what has been said, it could be tier rod ends or bearings.
As i have a similar problem @ 110 kph i would be interested to know what it turned out to be.
Let us know :D

Cheers

Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:26 am 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Hey
Thanx for such quick replies.

The mechanic who did it is my brother. Basically the shudder only occurs at speeds between 90kmph and 110kmph.

As i said i have had the wheels balanced since the rotor change and it hasnt helped.

My bro came over just then and he said the bearing were fine. We loosened the bearings then tightened them up and made shaw there was no give this time.

Took it out then and no difference still got the vibration in steering wheel.

The thing is it cant be the tie rod ends because the vibration was definately not there before the rotors were changed.

Im unsure what to do now, we put the cheap Protex rotors on apparently there is no difference in quality.

Could it be the rotors causing the vibration??? i dont know what to do next

Thanx for the help so far

Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6T

how many kms have the rotors been on for???

300+rwkw HeadsexTuned XR6 Turbo Ute *NOW SOLD :(*
MK Triton with 31" muddies, 2" lift and 3" turbo back exhaust etc...

Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:48 am 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Around 1200kms

Last edited by sbv16 on Mon May 30, 2005 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Steering wheel shudder
Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

sbv16 wrote:
so i pulled over and checked the wheel nuts.... they were a bit loose but nothing dangerous.

loose wheel nuts arnt dangerous, if you have to go around tightening your wheel nuts coz your mechanic didnt, whats that saying???????

Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:51 am 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Whats your post saying??? how does that help me with my problem???

It doesnt.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

When you tightened your wheel nuts did you make sure you did it with the wheels off the ground to make sure they are centered. -Unlikely that they are not but still.

Since you have tried everything else, possability that the rotors themselves are defective? Do they look round with all the internal vents clear and even? ie. no casting defects.

Other than that must be something to do with suspension. Can you get any play in anything by moving the wheel? Any funny clunking noises, particuarly under brakes or heavy turns?

Clean your wheels??

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:06 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

hey, are the rotors sitting on the hub probley? maybe its dode rotors?what tyre you running? i had cheepies put on mine and my ef started shaking like hell to!

Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Hey

I just put new tyres on 4 weeks ago theyre Maxiss tyres. However i had no problem with the tyres before the rotors and pads were done. So i know its not tyres.

Basically it has to be to do with something that was done when the rotors and pads were changed. The cheap Protex rotors were put on and i have a creeking when i brake at slow speeds which is really annoying, it is not a creeking when u lift ure foot of the brake and slowly roll forward its a creeking where as your slowly moving forward i put my foot and the break and it creeks. The play in the wheel is ok i have checked that other than what i have explained everything is as it was... the car was running perfectly until rotor change :(

Basically i think it is rotors, wheel bearings or the job as a whole. My 3 guesses are Wheel bearings are stuffed??? Rotors have not been installed correctly??? or the rotors are faulty???

I have decided im going to pull it all apart on the weekend and have a look myself i used to be an apprentice mechanic and have done it before but will have a look with my girlfriends old man.

Id there anything specific i need to look for when i take it all off??? ie how do i tell if wheel bearings are no good???

Thanx for help so far

Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Isuzu MU-X ,2018 Kia Cerato

QLD, Australia

i had a shuttering problem a little while ago but only when braking, took it to a brake expert and got the discs machiened and new pads. fixed the problem. the guy at the brake shop recons you goda run or bed new brake in for about 1000km so no sudden or harsh braking.

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next