Fordmods Logo

strange noise from the clutch 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: strange noise from the clutch
Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XH

NT, Australia

So i got my clutch replaced in the XH a few weeks back and about 2000km later I'm getting this rubbing noise when it is in gear. It is only when it's in gear and if I push the pedal in any more than about 2cm it stops. But then if i release the pedal about 20seconds later it comes back again. I can feel it through the pedal if I put my foot on it very lightly. It is this pulsing that changes with engine speed but also fluctuates a bit when driving constantly. If I pull the pedal out a bit with the top of my foot it gets heaps worse. It doesn't seem to be getting any worse or any better with time (I drove about 350kms today) and the gear changes are fine, but it is annoying as I am not at home and it's hard to look at as the ute is lowered.

I spoke to the bloke who did the clutch swap and flywheel machining, and he suggested it sounded like the thrust bearing (i don't have the service manual with me to look it up) but in any case it shouldn't be anything damaging until I get home (about another 500kms).

As fas as I know the gearbox hasn't been rebuilt, I bought the ute with 165000kms on it and it now has 215000kms, If anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated as I'm not to good with the gearbox/clutch side of things.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: strange noise from the clutch
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

Generally, you replace the spigot bearing (the one pressed into the flywheel) and the thrust bearing with the clutch. The thrust, or 'throw out', bearing can make some noise when the grease hardens or seizes. Were they replaced as well?

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

Thrust bearing should be noisier when clutch is pushed in if it's shagged.

Spiggot should be noisier with clutch all the way in and input shaft is stopped. Will also be noisy while releasing the clutch.

It could also be that the thrust bearing is loose in the carrier due to wear and is therefore causing it to go slightly out of alignment.

The clutch fork pivot in these can get worn and start to make a squealing/rubbing sound.

I fixed mine by drilling a small hole in the bell housing so that I could squirt a bit of lube on the pivot when it got dry. It's a bit of a dodgy fix, but it didn't cause any problems at all.

I'd be pulling the clutch fork cover off the bellhousing and having a good listen to see what you can identify.

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:07 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XH

NT, Australia

just got back so I'll get her up on some stands and have a look. thanks for the responses.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]