Fordmods Logo

supercheap not helpful at all 

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: supercheap not helpful at all
Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:43 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Ford EL Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

hey guys went to supercheap auto to get a replacement hose for my EL fairmont, its the hose that goes from the overflow bottle to the thermostat, and i no supercheap arent as good as repco etc but i have heaps of vouchers i gotta use. so i asked them if they had any and none of them knew what it was called so they couldnt help me, just wondering if anyone knows the name of the hose so i can tell them exactly?

also the reason i am changing it is as the hose has become swolen at the thermostat end of the hose, im just wondering what causes this?

thanks, nath

Post subject: Re: supercheap not helpful at all
Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

The hose has just gotten old.

Chop off the bulged out bit and slide the hose over it again. There should be enough hose left over after you cut an inch off.

Its just generic rubber hose suited to hot water/coolant. They'd have a roll of it, get something the same size in the correct length.

Last edited by Dansedgli on Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:49 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

supercheap are all idiots... its like the mcdonalds of the auto world...
the small hose that runs from the overflow bottle to the top of the thermostat housing is just a straight length of 10mm / 3/8" heater hose..

just measure how much you need and tell them you need 10mm heater hose in the length you need...

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:52 pm 
SA Cruise Moderator

Ride: 1993 EBll xr6, 2003 ba xt

Power: 150 rwkw

SA, Australia

repco here have a listing in their book for that hose, other wise do as troyman has said.

Owning 1 of 84,847 ebII.
2x clarion subs 1200w, 1x clarion amp 400w, pioneer headunit, 16x8 roh reflex.
Clear side, front indicators, White dials, trip computer, boot spoiler, K & N air filter.
35% tint, paint code (z) stark white, 3" crome nudge bar, Xh snorkle

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

supercheap here are actually pretty good, theres usually a parts book anyhow

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:19 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

I agree on the fast food version of a car store.

I have a car.

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:49 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
Depends on where ya go and whos rostered on.

Supercheap in Rockdale was ok til was burnt down (still standing, just internal damage) and Lakemba is ok, Bankstown crap.

Repco Rockdale is good

AutoOne in Blakehurst is great as is the one in Caringbah

AutoBarn Bankstown are funny, they charged my flatmate Clarion speakers $8 above store cost price. He accidently quoted us numerous times the price he can do em for and then a workmate told him he was wrong but got the purchase anyway.

Auto one caringbah has been shut for almost 8 years.

I have a car.

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Supercheap is like going into Kmart auto and asking someone a Techo question about cars.
They are NOT spare parts guys, they are just like ice cream sellers at Woollies. :D

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

I think, going back to the OP's question (and no offense meant to OP or anyone else) that this is a bit symptomatic of `kids today' - lets face it, we all have access to the internet, if I don't know something I do some searches until I find it - as someone else said, at the end of the day its just heater hose.. I had to find this very thing for my car a few months ago, I didn't know what the proper official title of the overflow hose was - just go to Supercheap and don't blindly ask, have a look around, take in a sample of what you are trying to replace , and find it yourself on the shelves...I mean, I went in, went to the radiator hose bit, and looked around...there are reels of different size hose etc., find what you are after and help yourself...relying on a 17 year old that may not have even been born when your car was made aint going to help - who knows more about the car, you or the 17 year old? If you get to know your own car, and understand what you want and why you want it, then go look for it, you don't NEED to know what the official name of it is....by the way, they were out of 3/8" heater hose but I had to fix it that day, ended up buying a length of EFI hose. Same size, worked fine.

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 1991 Ford Capri

QLD, Australia

Hate visits to Supercheap they seem to assume being female the part I asked for itsnt really what I want and I dont know the vehicle, make , model etc that I have.....to the point they drag me outside make me flip the bonnet to check...............IS it that rare for a female to know what she wants and the vehicle she has??????

Hence I tend to go to Autobarn or specific Capri spare parts

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:47 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: FG Falcon V8 Supercar Replica

NSW, Australia

They employee younger people who just dont know cars that well, ive had nothing but ordinary service at Supercheap, went to Auto One and a different story, the people working there were in fact car guys and knew there stuff.

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:15 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EL Falcon

QLD, Australia

Yeah stay clear of SuperCheap peoples unless you know what you want in parts yourselves or they have 20% off specials on. Other than that I personally drive 20minutes further to a Repco place than get f@rt around with a Superchep who will take the next decade to get you the part they think you need but is the superceeded outdated part from last millena,,lol

SIGNITURE REMOVED. pics must not exceed 120x500 pixles.

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

TROYMAN wrote:
supercheap are all idiots... its like the mcdonalds of the auto world...

very true im using that saying from now on

i can go there and i know more then the employes at my local supercheap some dont even have cars and have never even worked on one (went to school with some of em) ive watched em try to sell a panel beaters wife(she had no idea she was just out on a quick run for paint) arcylic paint for a 2pac paint job its only i intervened and said none of the acrylic stuff will work with 2 pack and will make the 2 pack go to hell the young fella was stunned was hell funny lol

i only go to supercheap to pick up polishs and waxes and car wash and the all amazing rain x everything else is garbage and is overpriced

my advise for surviving supercheap never ask for advice they have absolutely no idea always go in find exactly what you want and leave and know exactly what your after before going in and if necessary have the item with you that your trying to replace but i recommend for parts going elsewhere

i prefer my local repco and auto repair shop if ever im stumped they can help most of em have actually owned similar model of my car before so they know there stuff and if i say i want NF part (instead of saying EF) they still know what im on about unlike the guys at supercheap and some of the local wreckers

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Bambino Capri wrote:
Hate visits to Supercheap they seem to assume being female the part I asked for itsnt really what I want and I dont know the vehicle, make , model etc that I have.....to the point they drag me outside make me flip the bonnet to check...............IS it that rare for a female to know what she wants and the vehicle she has??????

Hence I tend to go to Autobarn or specific Capri spare parts

Where I work (Repco), the women who usually come in know what they need or have a list from their partner, and it's easy to get them what they need.

There is the odd time you have to get them to pop the hood & check the ID tags, usually because you need to know a chassis number or engine number to supply the correct parts. Something that you don't expect the average person to know, or expect that they know they will need that info so you get the correct bits for their car.

We hear a lot from our customers that Supercheap isn't very helpful when it comes to the parts they need to fix their car's, but that's due to the model they use to run the business, more of a "take away shop" model or even a supermarket model.

It also takes a fair while to turn someone into a spare parts guy/girl. They have to have good knowledge of car's & be able to ask the right questions to work out what the customer needs. They also need to be able to read a spare parts catalog, not just look things up on the computer at work.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

hehe, if they operate the computer, I was once asked to com around, an ty and find it, 8.00 thursday night, so sort of one of those screwy situations. :lol:

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next