Fordmods Logo

Supplimentry Air Intake 

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

yeah, I know. theres more dirt/bugs on the air filter directly in the path of that hose due to turbulence then the Tick-ford snorkel it self. :lol:

I'm in the process of modding the standard snorkel so it'll set between the headlights & rad. vertical mounted. so far, two years has past but still in the process.

I always wonder why a dimple golf ball travels further & faster then a smooth ball. :lol:

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

flexi pipe isnt that bad, just use bigger diameter. PVC is good but you have to keep heating it carefully to get the right bends and then buy joins to get 90* bends. If your doing this mod it doesnt matter though because its just a straight bit of pipe.

Also it wont look so out of place if you paint it black.

Slick- isnt that sucking hot air from the radiator?

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:24 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XR6

ACT, Australia

I agree that it doesnt give you any real increase in KW, but as said before every little effort help and ill prob just place mine bihind the headlight. Ill still be getting air from the snorkel and extra feeding in behind the headlight..!!

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Blu Falc wrote:
Slick- isnt that sucking hot air from the radiator?

no, theres a flat scoop/heat shield mounted on the side of the radiator to deflect cold air towards the hose entry.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:53 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: AU1 XR6 VCT

VIC, Australia

LOL, since thats my car its done to and my article I'll answer.

The easiest way to check if its going to work ok is to take the car for a nice long drive to get it up to operating temps. Then, as soon as you get back pop the bonnet and stick your hand where the intoake would go. Whats the air temp like? If its pretty warm it means there isnt enough cool air getting into there and its a no go. If its pretty cool it means it is getting decent airflow (AU XR's get heaps) and its ok to do it.

Pretty basic really.

AU XR6 VCT 14.57 @ 92.92mph.
Auto - NA - Unopened
Proudly tuned and prepared by G&D Performance Tuning - Get the Edge!

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

yeah.... the flexy tube is icy cold for last 4 years. :lol:

Pakrat wrote:

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

yeah.... the flexy tube is icy cold for last 4 years. :lol:

Pakrat wrote:

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: The DEVEL XR6

WA, Australia

theblackone wrote:
hmm i had a look at it and it seems feasible...

im just hopeing someone has done this on their ef EL before i attempt it :P

Check out what I've done in my gallery dude ...a FUNCTIONAL scoop that frees up more air into the snorkel.

OK, not quite a 20 cent jobbie, and the scoop might not be everyone's cup of tea ...but it does free up outside air to enter from the top of the bonnet into the snorkel.

I've always wondered how the snorkel was supposed to pick up ANY air in that cramped std bonnet recess!

I can definitely hear & feel air being drawn into the snorkel via the scoop, and air will be caught by the scoop & channelled into the snorkel at higher speed.

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd, JMM DEV 5 enhanced (161 rwkw custom tuned), Eliminator Switch Chip, 18" BA GTP rims, Pedders Superlows, BA XR6 badges, BA Sunroof, Pioneer Stereo, Splits, 6x9's, 10" sub, 700W 6-ch Viper amp.
QUARTER MILE PB: currently 14.590 @ 96.00 mph ...BOOST AHEAD!!

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

markr154 wrote:
theblackone wrote:
hmm i had a look at it and it seems feasible...

im just hopeing someone has done this on their ef EL before i attempt it :P

Check out what I've done in my gallery dude ...a FUNCTIONAL scoop that frees up more air into the snorkel.

OK, not quite a 20 cent jobbie, and the scoop might not be everyone's cup of tea ...but it does free up outside air to enter from the top of the bonnet into the snorkel.

I've always wondered how the snorkel was supposed to pick up ANY air in that cramped std bonnet recess!

I can definitely hear & feel air being drawn into the snorkel via the scoop, and air will be caught by the scoop & channelled into the snorkel at higher speed.

Nice

Pakrat wrote:

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

for some reason my pics arent showing it full.. but is that scoop directly over the snorkle?

SIGNATURE REMOVED - REFER TO FORUM GUIDELINES!

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: The DEVEL XR6

WA, Australia

theblackone wrote:
for some reason my pics arent showing it full.. but is that scoop directly over the snorkle?

Yep, it sure is.

The hole is cut thru' the bonnet exactly where the snorkel recess is, and the scoop sits directly over it, placed so that the scoop mesh is about 1/2" in front of the hole. (those are my fingers coming up thru' the hole you can see in the first shot!)

I've sealed the back of the scoop off with foam rubber, so that any air whizzing in thru' the mesh gets channelled into the snorkel itself & not the back of the scoop.

I've also modified the rubber bonnet seal (pic 2) to also catch any air coming under the bonnet & direct it to the snorkel ...whilst excluding any hot air from the engine bay.

As I said, this was just a DIY idea I had ...and it seems to work well.

If I put my ear to the scoop with the engine running, I can definitely hear & feel the air rushing in!

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd, JMM DEV 5 enhanced (161 rwkw custom tuned), Eliminator Switch Chip, 18" BA GTP rims, Pedders Superlows, BA XR6 badges, BA Sunroof, Pioneer Stereo, Splits, 6x9's, 10" sub, 700W 6-ch Viper amp.
QUARTER MILE PB: currently 14.590 @ 96.00 mph ...BOOST AHEAD!!

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2