Fordmods Logo

Syphoning Petrol 

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Might get some metal filings if you drill it.

I've siphoned a car before just by ramming the pipe into the tank.... doesnt take long once it starts flowing.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EF GLi

WA, Australia

Once I made myself spew my guts up trying to get petrol out of an abandoned Datsun to fuel a dune buggy stuck in the bush. Don't suck it up with your mouth... it makes everything you eat for 48hrs taste like ULP :(

EF2 Fairmont Ghia. AU2 engine running EF gear. Intake, exhaust, injection etc; 8" rear stockies with 265/50R15 rubber. Shiftkitted auto, J3, custom grille and dash cluster and lots of other useless crap...

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:17 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
Krytox wrote:
best way would be to attach a pipe to the pressure line, give the pump some grunt and pump away!

I agree, best way since the petrol is being filtered as well :D

phong =P~

Plus that doesn't work.

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:20 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

krisisdog wrote:

I've siphoned a car before just by ramming the pipe into the tank.... doesnt take long once it starts flowing.

not quite..
the tank is plastic..
you could punch a hole in it with a screw driver..

but im with the others just hook power up to the pump and let it do all the work..

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:43 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ef manual

VIC, Australia

or one of those hand held pumping devices they use for jerry cans, might have to attach a longer peice of pipe to get all the way into the tank

f***in fords

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

I'm in the same situation; wreck, fuel in plastic tank, no visible drain, no battery. I figure i'll plonk a battery in the boot armed with some jumper leads and wires, and try to pump it out directly into another car.

I wish you weren't 2.5 hours away, or that i had a car trailer, i'd take your EA off your hands otherwise. I never seem to end finding value in a wreck.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I ended up disconnectiong the hose to the fuel rail and poking it down into the wheel well, where i had a jerry can. Worked great, filled so quick you could just watch it.

I used a battery in the boot and a couple of leads which had alligator clips at one end and male bullets(?) at the other. Just disconnected the connector, there is only one, and set it going.

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

fnp wrote:
Ask the local non reflective :P

BWAHAHAHA!!!

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont

ACT, Australia

Well, I got the whole tank out last night. Was quite sneaky, actually. I know petrol eats through plastic, so I made the transfer as quick as possible (got it all out and in my other car in about 20 minutes). Here's how it went down:

Tried syphoning using two hoses (one garden hose attached to a clear plastic one) to try and avoid petrol in the mouth. Got about a quarter of a litre out.

Jacked the car up and looked for a good place to jab it with a screwdriver, but had second thoughts on it.

Finally, designed a contraption that would suck the fuel out straight into a container (a 15-litre plastic bottle of water from a water dispenser). Stuck the garden hose into down into the fuel tank and the other end into the bottle, then put just the tip of the clear second hose in the bottle and taped it all up air-tight. All i had to do was suck through the clear hose for a second or two and the tank started pouring into the bottle. After about a minute, the bottle was full so i just carried it over to the new car and put the garden hose loosely into the fuel filler and blew into the clear hose, which forced the petrol up the garden hose into the tank. Took about 4 bottles and a jack on one side of the car to get it all out and i had some petrol to spare, so i put it into a friend's car.

Both cars are running fine, and the petrol looked a normal, clear colour when we put it in.

Auto '99 AU Fairmont
--------------------------------------
Pacemaker 4499's, Hi-flow cat, 2.5" Redback catback
K & N Filter, NGK Plugs
Lows all 'round, Monroe's in the front, GSR's in the rear
Pioneer H/U
Tickford Bodykit
COMING SOON:
17's
30mm + 22mm adjustable sway bars.

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:45 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

brown-i wrote:
or one of those hand held pumping devices they use for jerry cans, might have to attach a longer peice of pipe to get all the way into the tank
fi your gonna do it this way, o it through the inspection hole and not the filler hole.

I have a car.

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
brown-i wrote:
fi your gonna do it this way, o it through the inspection hole and not the filler hole.

You cant take the fuel pump out unless there is less than 3/4 of a tank.I have tried and heaps of fuel p****d out :wink: you must siphon it out from the filler with a hand pump,its easiest.

165 Killer Wasps all packaged in a green kmart car, almost an explorer in a way...

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

metasaiah wrote:
Once I made myself spew my guts up trying to get petrol out of an abandoned Datsun to fuel a dune buggy stuck in the bush. Don't suck it up with your mouth... it makes everything you eat for 48hrs taste like ULP :(

just think, if you were any older mate you would have had to swallow some flash lube to make sure you didnt burn out your valve seats LOL.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

krisisdog wrote:

The tanks are plastic so no filings! the best is to get some 12-15mm pcv hose as it see through and doesnt melt with petrol like garden hose does. Just put in tank and suck untill it almost reaches your lips then drop hose into container, this has to be below petrol tank height. sit back habe a beer and a smoke and enjoy!!!

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont

ACT, Australia

joolz wrote:
krisisdog wrote:

The tanks are plastic so no filings! the best is to get some 12-15mm pcv hose as it see through and doesnt melt with petrol like garden hose does. Just put in tank and suck untill it almost reaches your lips then drop hose into container, this has to be below petrol tank height. sit back habe a beer and a smoke and enjoy!!!

At the speed the petrol comes out, i would expect to get some in my mouth unless i had a really long, clear piece of hose.

Auto '99 AU Fairmont
--------------------------------------
Pacemaker 4499's, Hi-flow cat, 2.5" Redback catback
K & N Filter, NGK Plugs
Lows all 'round, Monroe's in the front, GSR's in the rear
Pioneer H/U
Tickford Bodykit
COMING SOON:
17's
30mm + 22mm adjustable sway bars.

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

It would take a genuine emergency for me to suck anymore. I acknowledge there are ways to make it more palatable, but even sucking on the vapour in the hose at the beginning before the fuel is anywhere near the mouth isn't any fun, for me at least. Maybe the proper technique is to suck just via the mouth and not the lungs. But there are so many other ways anyway. One way is to fill the hose with fuel first, plug the ends and then put it in position, it will then siphon without sucking.

How about that advice that you can't remove the pump/inspection plate unless there is less than 3/4 of a tank. So if your pump is stuffed with more than 3/4, what do you do then? Spilling the petrol in the boot might make a mess of the sound-deadening. Suck/siphon through the pump? Drop the whole tank?

I like it being plastic, but then again if it were metal i could make extra clearance for my left rear wheel (235/75R15) by adding a dent.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next