Fordmods Logo

T5 into TE Cortina 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: T5 into TE Cortina
Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:58 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Cortina

NSW, Australia

Hello you X series guys! Just wanting to find out the difference between T5 5 speed manual setup on the Xflow and E series OHC. I'm trying to jam a E series T5 into a TE Cortina, it's 4.5cm too long when it come to the cross member mounting, the gear shift is about 10cm too far to the rear. The end of the extension housing where it joins the tail shaft is all ok though. I'm thinking the 4 speed single rail and the T5 in the XF for example bolts up underneath simarly. I'm also thinking the gearshift comes through the floor in the same position, any comments and recommendations in getting a T5 into a TE Cortina are very welcome, thanks. :D

Building a TE Cortina Ghia OHC Turbo

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Cortina TE

WA, Australia

i have a T5 behind my TE corty.. 250 Xflow

the OHC with T5 comes up same place as the 250 with T5.. my mates gos a OHC in his corty with T5

u dont need a custom tailshaft as it slips str8 in..

just need to cut the floorpan out with a small angle grinder

have a look @ these

http://www.ford-cortina.net/cortina/1977-TE-Cortina/Buildup/new-shifter-hole/

http://www.ford-cortina.net/cortina/1977-TE-Cortina/Buildup/t5-kit.htm
& these pix will show u what u need to do to the gearbox xmember... basically make the rear 2 holes larger. so it sits up perfect.

the clutch cable is a XF cable with Screw type Adjuster
its a perfect match for the T5 and the other end bolts onto the Corty pedal no worries.

any problems. send me an e-mail or something.

Post subject: Cortina T5
Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:56 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Thanks for the photos, they look great, I have questions though. The XE and XF series, they came with 4 and 5 speed boxes, I'm thinking that the 5 speed was a T5, correct? I'm also thinking that the gearshifts for both 4 & 5 speeds come through the floor in same position. If this is the case, should it not be the same for the Cortina?, with me? My cross member appears to be a little different to the one pictured, see attached. Does the gearbox extension housing actually bolt onto the cross member? My cross member holes appear to be 4.5cm closer to engine than the T5 mount, I'll go out to the garage and double check that though.

Attachments:
Cortina1.jpg
Cortina1.jpg [ 83.82 KiB | Viewed 231 times ]

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:29 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: buick

VIC, Australia

The extention housing in the coritna 6 cyl single rail 4 speeds are shorter . So you would have to modify the floor and rear mounts if fitting the Falcon boxes. Thats unusual that the tail shaft is the same length . As when we fitted a V8 into a TE and using the cortina 4 speed so it exits through the factory hole. The tail shaft was shorter so had to cut a XD tailshaft to suit.

Post subject: Re: Cortina T5
Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:23 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: buick

VIC, Australia

TECortinaOHCTurbo wrote:
Thanks for the photos, they look great, I have questions though. The XE and XF series, they came with 4 and 5 speed boxes, I'm thinking that the 5 speed was a T5, correct? I'm also thinking that the gearshifts for both 4 & 5 speeds come through the floor in same position. If this is the case, should it not be the same for the Cortina?, with me? My cross member appears to be a little different to the one pictured, see attached. Does the gearbox extension housing actually bolt onto the cross member? My cross member holes appear to be 4.5cm closer to engine than the T5 mount, I'll go out to the garage and double check that though.

That gear box bell housing has the starter on the left side in the pic as in the late ohc . The Xflows are on the right. The 5 speed in the XF's were behind the 3.3 mtrs which was for economy only

Post subject: Re: Cortina T5
Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:53 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

ghiaman wrote:
TECortinaOHCTurbo wrote:

That gear box bell housing has the starter on the left side in the pic as in the late ohc . The Xflows are on the right. The 5 speed in the XF's were behind the 3.3 mtrs which was for economy only

Your right, that T5 is connected to an EL engine, the one I'm hoping to get into the Cortina. It appears I can get the engine to bolt up to the mounts but the gearbox extension housing mount sits 4.5cm after the Cortina cross member, hence my problem. There appears to be a work around by modifying the Cortina cross member. I thought though it had to be easier than that considering the Falcon comes in both 4 & 5 speed, the Falcon floor must be the same for both boxes, know what I mean!

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:07 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

the T5 sits on the back 2 holes. not 4.5cm behind those

i dont know where your thinking that..

the only reason it would do that.. is if you have a AU or BA T5.. where the T5 is even longer

but XF --> EL they all have the same length gearbox.

as u saw in the pix on my site. the back 2 hols are drilled a bit more sideways with that other mounting bush that siits between the T5 and the corty xmember.

it all fits togethor.. once u get your bellhousing and test fit the gearbox you'll see exactly what i mean.

i can try n take a photo of the underbody of the car to show u if u still have doubt

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:46 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

P100 Ute wrote:
the T5 sits on the back 2 holes. not 4.5cm behind those

i dont know where your thinking that..

the only reason it would do that.. is if you have a AU or BA T5.. where the T5 is even longer

but XF --> EL they all have the same length gearbox.

as u saw in the pix on my site. the back 2 hols are drilled a bit more sideways with that other mounting bush that siits between the T5 and the corty xmember.

it all fits togethor.. once u get your bellhousing and test fit the gearbox you'll see exactly what i mean.

i can try n take a photo of the underbody of the car to show u if u still have doubt

I did a quick check with a tape measure, this is where I found the shortfall. I'll get back in the garage and double check my measurements, thanks for your assistance.

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:47 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Hi guys, I measured everything again, there is definately about 5cm difference between the T5 setup on the OHC and the 4 speed on the OHV. Both motors measure about the same from the most rear engine mount bolt hole to the back of the engine. I then measure from the back of each engine to the end of their respective gearboxes, it's about the same. I measure from the rear of the engines to their respective gearbox mounts and there's about 5cm difference. If you look at the cross member sitting on the floor next to the T5, I believe that is the way it will sit in relation to the gearbox. The previous gearbox used the back pair of holes, so 5cm from these holes is after the cross member. Looking at the picture again, where the cross member sits on the floor is roughly where it will go under the T5 extension housing when in the car. The cross member in the link posted previous to this looks to be different to mine, the pair of holes are closer together although the shape looks similar. Was the Cortina previously an automatic?

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:16 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

i'll take a photo of it for you to see

then you'll understand

and yes.. the gearbox b4 was auto.. its a auto gearbox mount.

Post subject: Pictures
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:00 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Yep, much appreciated. I can see that I have to do some grinding to make the engine mounts fit but the gearbox mount has me stumped at this stage.

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:45 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

sorry its a bit late.. needed to get hold of a good camera.

Standard Auto Gearbox mount.
Gearbox sittong on the other mount.. think its off a XD Auto ? seen one on ebay a few months ago
using the rear 2 bolts.
2 pix of the view from inside the car looking down and where the gearbox sits in accordance to the handbrake..
you can get all 5 gears with the handbrake down.. but u need to lift it to get reverse.

Post subject: Cross Member
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:33 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

It appears that the auto cross member is slightly different. It has the slot cut in front to allow the front part of the extension housing not to foul. The holes are also in a slightly different position, a pic of mine is towards the top of this post, you can see the difference. I'll be modifying and drilling mine but also check the wreckers for an auto cross member, thanks heaps!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]