Fordmods Logo

taking gas setup from one car and sticking it on another? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: taking gas setup from one car and sticking it on another?
Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:28 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: AU fairmont

ACT, Australia

how hard would it be to take the gas setup from an EL and stick it on an AU? is it hard to do or should it be done by a mechanic? i presume it would need to get approval of some sort as well, just seeing if it would be worth it as a mate has a gas setup on his car and he doesnt use it so if it would be easy/cheap to take it and chuck it on mine that would be good.

Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

You will a) need a professional to install all the lpg lines from tank to underbonnet properly and then get it approved by him or someone else if you intend to attempt it yourself.

b) its very possible and quite easily done

its be cheap because a new system install is about the $2k mark

Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 1:29 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

In victoria, and i expect the same in other states, a vehicle lpg system must be certified by someone authorised by the 'australian alternative fuel board'. This does not mean that you can not install it yourself but you must have an authorised installer certify the system who will then attach an AAFB compliance plate to the vehicle.

In practice, out of the 6 or 7 certified installers i asked 'would certify a system i planned to install', only one said he would at a cost of $300.

Note that the gas cylinder must be tested and certified every 10 years just like your BBQ gas bottle so check the stamped date on the cylinder :) The installer that said he would certify the system also said to use new lpg lines otherwise he would knock it back.

If i could find a good well priced tickford lpg system i would also be doing the install.

Good luck to you.

Cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]