Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: The Mighty Falcon XR6
Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8

VIC, Australia

Howdy.

Is it just me, or does seven killerwatts seem a bugger all power gain when you look at what Tickford did to the 4.0 litre motor?

* Increased exhaust valve diametre
* Mild porting
* Higher compression ratio
* Camshaft
* Cooler plugs
* Recalibrated knock sensor
* Alteration of ignition and fuel curves via the EEC-V control system

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:44 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

you sure bout that??? thats s**t!!!! especially with all that work, i understand its mild, but still 7kW can be gained as easily as inreasingvalve lift by *20 thou......MUST be wrong :?:

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

the cam is sweeet f**k all different from standard. a lot of people have gone standard to XR6 and noticed nothing.
The higher compression is .05 or something which again is one third of f**k all.
You sure about the recallabrated knock sensor? never heard about that before.
The ECU isn't much different either. Very little. Aside from helping my car idle better when I fitted a wade cam and change the auto shift pattern in 'normal' mode it was no different.
Cooler plugs were just because they were required after the other work had been done.

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
the cam is sweeet f**k all different from standard. a lot of people have gone standard to XR6 and noticed nothing.
The higher compression is .05 or something which again is one third of f**k all.
You sure about the recallabrated knock sensor? never heard about that before.
The ECU isn't much different either. Very little. Aside from helping my car idle better when I fitted a wade cam and change the auto shift pattern in 'normal' mode it was no different.
Cooler plugs were just because they were required after the other work had been done.

Agreed on the cam. My mate has a 5 speed EF Futura and he had my old EF XR6 cam installed in his car and he said he noticed no increase in performance.
Yep, they recalibrated the knock sensor.

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:01 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

if you put all this effort in installing a stock standard XR6 cam, why didnt you get it regrinded, such as more lift, and wider angle for low end torque or vise versa...dont cost all that much

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

MYLO_XR6 wrote:
if you put all this effort in installing a stock standard XR6 cam, why didnt you get it regrinded, such as more lift, and wider angle for low end torque or vise versa...dont cost all that much

My mate had all the options. He chose to install as is.

If it were me, I wouldn't have bothered and just purchased a DEV cam (which is what I did). But then again, I did give him the cam for nothing...

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

MYLO_XR6 wrote:
you sure bout that??? thats s**t!!!! especially with all that work, i understand its mild, but still 7kW can be gained as easily as inreasingvalve lift by *20 thou......MUST be wrong :?:

it would be s**t if the power curve was exactly the same but didn't taper off when the GLI one does, but rises a further 7kw.
but it doesn't, compare the power under the curve you'll find a pretty good improvment.

also keep in mind that when the xr6 engine was developed the EB gli only had 147kw the xr had 161kw 14kw difference.

then an AU has the larger valves and better ports then the ef. yet still has the same power as the EF EL

by the way. the XR6 cam has the same lift as the stock one the difference is valve timing nothing more

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Futura

SA, Australia

I have a mate who put a 5 speed and an XR6 cam in his little bro's EL, I think he wants a run.. I failed to tell him about my cam.. so he probably thinks he will own me :)

I'm really happy if there is 0.5 of F*** all difference. He is stock ECU too

5 Speed EL Futura
Stock as a rock*
A1 Oils - Synthetic lubricants: www.a1oils.com.au
* A rock that has been Alted

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
MYLO_XR6 wrote:

it would be s**t if the power curve was exactly the same but didn't taper off when the GLI one does, but rises a further 7kw.
but it doesn't, compare the power under the curve you'll find a pretty good improvment.

also keep in mind that when the xr6 engine was developed the EB gli only had 147kw the xr had 161kw 14kw difference.

then an AU has the larger valves and better ports then the ef. yet still has the same power as the EF EL

by the way. the XR6 cam has the same lift as the stock one the difference is valve timing nothing more

Agreed. An XR6 is MUCH stronger through the enitre rev range than a standard 4.0 litre. Revs harder too...

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:43 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

forget the KW's its the torque that makes the difference..

KW's sells cars Torque wins races..

I have a car.

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ford au wagon 4.0 na

Power: 170 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Torque and power are mathematical equations. Torque is the twisting effort of the engine per rpm. Power curve is determined by torque multiplied by revs.Peak power means torque multiplied by revs . If you are producing 700kws at 5000 rpm or 300kws at 5000rpm the 700kw figure will mean that there is alot more torque at 5000 rpm.

So if you can achieve a higher amount of power within the same rev range then you are going to be alot quicker. But beware..if you have a curve that robs torque down low but still gives great top end power that you may go slower because the rate of acceleration will not be as great. This is why turbo cars have the advantage of producing big torque down low and holding that torque(and power) across the rev range ,hence accelerating harder than a normally aspirated car.
This also is why people with na cars get hi stall converters and dump clutches at higher revs so that they can grab on a higher power and torque range.This artificially skips the poor down low power.

14.77 @92.71mph July 06 14.52@95.68mph July 07 14.241 96.7 MPH in a shoebox/taxi au ford wagon!!Bwahahah still cant believe it!!!

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:07 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1994 ED FALCON FUTURA

WA, Australia

XR6s are not very different to stock but like as said above, the way you get the power through the rev range in an xr6 is alot better than stock.

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

USELESS wrote:
Torque and power are mathematical equations. Torque is the twisting effort of the engine per rpm. Power curve is determined by torque multiplied by revs.Peak power means torque multiplied by revs . If you are producing 700kws at 5000 rpm or 300kws at 5000rpm the 700kw figure will mean that there is alot more torque at 5000 rpm.

So if you can achieve a higher amount of power within the same rev range then you are going to be alot quicker. But beware..if you have a curve that robs torque down low but still gives great top end power that you may go slower because the rate of acceleration will not be as great. This is why turbo cars have the advantage of producing big torque down low and holding that torque(and power) across the rev range ,hence accelerating harder than a normally aspirated car.
This also is why people with na cars get hi stall converters and dump clutches at higher revs so that they can grab on a higher power and torque range.This artificially skips the poor down low power.

torque x RPM / 5252 = hosrepower

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]