The Vehicle Display/Datalogger/Controller 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: The Vehicle Display/Datalogger/Controller
Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

It's in a very early prototype stage and has some limitations as to speed - particuarly with the digital input measurement but I hope to overcome this soon with a new microcontroller.

Basically using a microcontroller I can read
4 simulatnious analogue inputs ( eg. Throttle position, O2 sensor, Knock, Batt V)

2 digital inputs (Eg, MAP, Speed)

And display this to the screen. As you can see in my user gallery it is quite compact. There are 3 buttons for using the menu and selecting items. A buzzer and status LED as outputs. The signals are come from a cable that is routed from the ECU wiring behind the dash and connects to the 'screw in' connector on the RHS.
The screen displays 4 items at a time and can be scrolled using button A. The refresh rate is 4 times per sec. - fast enough to see closed loop operation of the O2 sensor.

Also the signals can be sent via serial port to a PC. There is no software yet but using hyperterminal data can be written to a file to be imported into excel. Serial transfer has two modes

Fast - Analogue channels only approx 20Hz
Slow- Digital channels aswell approx 2/4Hz

Then there is the 5Amp PWM output that can be triggered on by a high/low sensor input. or a PID controller can be set up. or a 8x8map of values can be used as a lookup table. - This last part is under construction.

The prototype cost me about $120-170 to build

So what I am interested in is what you would like to see if I took this a bit further and developed a faster more professional version.

I am aiming for logging rates of 50Hz for all inputs. Perhaps around 7 analgue and 4 digital inputs? How many output's? Would you like a bigger screen or a LED bargraph? How important is it to have onboard memory ($$$)?

Remember to check my Gallery for pics and a graph I made with logged data (4Hz)

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:10 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: 07 BFII XR6 Turbo

WA, Australia

Very impressive Spork! :shock:

Possibilites: ?

1. fuel usage (avg/inst)
2. fuel level
3. distance to empty based on 1 and 2
4. voltmeter or oil press for the low series cars
5. digital speedo
6. gear indicator

speedo+rpm+gear+throttle pos would make a great telemetery system

I know alot of that is in the trip computers but its all stuff that would be needed to build a kind of detailed vehicle information that would make the datalogger useful to everyday drivers

From memory some of this stuff has been covered in another thread and the common problem was finding what exactly of those inputs is from sensors and whats from ECU etc.

A larger screen would be nice - that way it could be mounted somewhere with continually scrolling updated information

New Car:
'07 BF II XR6 Turbo (stock) in Neo with premium sound and bluetooth.

Old car: ('98 EL Futura)

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hmmm.

Well actual fuel consumption would be hard because it would have to take into account fuel pressure and injector flow rate. But injector pulsewidth or duty cycle could be done and an approximate value for fuel consumption worked out from that.

It can already display the voltage from any 0-12V sensor so you get volts just by connecting it to the battery and if you install the high series oil sender I suppose you could hook that up too if it also output's a voltage signal - This looks like something I should do!

I also had a bit of code to display a bargraph but it takes up the bottom half of the screen so I removed it. There is a 4 line version of that screen so maybe in the next version I should try using that although then the unit gets bigger.

The original idea was to eventually make it fit into a standard radio DIN slot and for that I will have to use the small screen (no I don't think I will program a full LCD! - this ASCII one was hard enough!)

Good suggestions!

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

QLD, Australia

I would really love to see a program to convert this data into guages and dials on a computer screen

Regards,
Punnisher_42

Favorite Quotes:
"Sportwagon = homo-erotic wank-fest." - downingj

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:10 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

can the data be sent to a incar plasma screen?

fast1

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:21 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

eager to own one of these.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

fast1 wrote:
can the data be sent to a incar plasma screen?

The data output is a standard serial output. So if you have a PC and some software to drive the screen there is no reason why not.

Currently working with a mate on some basic software to record/display in real time.

Manual EL Gli.

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:38 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

I imagine you are developing these for selling later? I always wanted to play around with IC's like this.. but never got around to it. Good work, definately impressive...

My suggestions:
this first step is good, and the LCD can be used as a diagnostic for the whole system. The whole system would have the output to the computer, then software for the computer which would turn this data into guides, guages, warnings, and so forth. also log it all on a graph with a click. This program wouldn't be difficult to make. Also for AFR you could have a graph where the stesometric value is (however it's spelt) as a horinzontal line (I think its 13.8?)... and the actual real time AFR mapped on that. The LCD could be as an option, if small can be mounted around the dash.. and if you couldn't be bothered opening the program, you have an LCD right tehre...

This is a great and impressive (need I mention inspiring) start to something that can be big. Anyway... good luck, and let us know of any updates!

Cheers

*EDIT* - I also forgot to ask, how can you log if you have no onboard memory? thats if its a standalone unit. And also which processor are you using?

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:55 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB 5Spd

QLD, Australia

hey, i would like to see it with a 4line lcd, just to display the everyday info that ppl would usually want to see, if you made a remote screen unit with the box under the dash and lcd onto the gauge cluster that would be great but ic ould always modify it and mount the screen seperately anyway, who needs a a/f autometer gauge when u can use this lil gem :) if you where going to sell them how much would you ask for one of these units?

cheers

chris

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:41 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

dude thats f**k awesome

if you wantr a AU guinnea pig let me know....

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

The problem with the screen is that it's actually the biggest component. The original idea was for a in-vehicle display with a datalogging capability rather than a full 'black box' datalogger.

The circuitry for the two line screen is actually twice as wide as the screen (can't change this is how they are made) so that's why its in the plastic box. A 4 line screen circuit board will only be 50% wider. But these cost about $50 where the 2line is $25-30 (with backlight)

What do people think about mounting the whole thing in a standard car stereo DIN package? That way there is no mounting problems and all the wires are tucked away behind the unit. But only a 2 line screen will fit.

At the moment it has no memory it just transmitts the data to the screen and/or out the serial port as it is read. To add memory will be time consuming and expensive (I would integrate it to a removeable flash disk) so maybe I could do it later as an option or add-on module.
I am also looking at new microcontrollers and perhaps there will be enough on-board EEPROM to save a 1min burst. -enough for a 1/4 mile!

But thanks for the feedback keep it coming! If I do ever make them to sell I would give Fordmods members a discount and donate etc. So your helping yourselves.

Manual EL Gli.

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

That's an inspiring read right there spork.

I think the DIN-style mount is a good idea - maybe design to fit in the coin slot? Or mount the screen where the clock may usually live, something along those lines.

Regarding datalog, I think the serial output a much better option than onboard memory - in reality even with onboard you'd need to interface with a PC to review the data, yes?

I'd say 4hz would be fine for the data transmission rate to include digital data.

Just wondering what other sensors would be valuable.... maybe engine temp or better yet - air charge temp? I'm unsure of the format of these signals... MAP would be good for the I6, MAF voltage for the 8.

The output graph in your gallery is absolutely amazing. The unit itself also looks fantastic.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:34 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

mmmm i agree with martin it is way cool and a top s**t job and again i will offfer my au for help!

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

why would u want to watch knock snesor voltage just alot of spike voltage

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:39 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

to know when or if your engine's knocking lol :wink:

Cheers