Fordmods Logo

Towing another car with my XR6 EF 

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

Leaving it in third can help the transmission too.

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:10 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

I have towed a 1200kg load for at least the last 50k in a manual and absolutely no problem. You just dont use 5th gear. Must admit the clutch does not fair well in certain circumstances.

I've also done it in an auto but other than parking in difficult locations prefer the manual.

Turbo 6s rule

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:00 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Fairmont, BA MK2 Futura

VIC, Australia

fnp wrote:
Leaving it in third can help the transmission too.

Yep, don't let it go on overdrive, 3rd will stop making the engine labour, thats what i think.

Mirrored Exterior Ghia|Pacy Comps w/S/S H.F Cat|Reco "Worked" Tickford Head w/new Gaskets|Redback 2.5" Exhaust|K&N Panel Filter|EL GT snorkle with 80mm tubing|Shift-kit|King Spring Superlows/Ultima Shorten Shocks|Kmac Camber Kit|Other Mods.

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:04 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Fairmont, BA MK2 Futura

VIC, Australia

hornet wrote:
you wont be towing cars after the conversion. Ford say the manuals can only tow 500kg I think. :(

I thought all falcons that have a tow bar, should already have a tranny cooler (option or whatever), so that the standard 1600kg tow pack can be realistic as so that tranny oil will be cooled. We have 2 falcons both with tow bars and both came with tranny coolers.

Oh if the trailer has brakes, i think you can tow up to 2300kg (with 2300kg tow pack).

Mirrored Exterior Ghia|Pacy Comps w/S/S H.F Cat|Reco "Worked" Tickford Head w/new Gaskets|Redback 2.5" Exhaust|K&N Panel Filter|EL GT snorkle with 80mm tubing|Shift-kit|King Spring Superlows/Ultima Shorten Shocks|Kmac Camber Kit|Other Mods.

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: XC V8

SA, Australia

im my fairmont i have towed my XC falcon and if you take it easy its fine and i have a 5 speed and didnt have an issue just dont plant your foot and take it easy. the old fords do it just dont tailgate and dont floor it leave it in 3rd and you should be right. i also tow a speed boat and it dosnt have an issue with it

1976 XC falcon
182 Clio Sport

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA Falcon Classic

WA, Australia

piece of piss mate. ive towed a NL fairlane on a car trailer that weighed 1.5 tonnes empty. falcon haulage!

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

All falcons that came factory with the tow bar will have a trans cooler. Just take it easy and keep it cool and ull be right. leave plenty of space in front of you as the brakes dont pull up half as fast as u think

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

"All falcons that came factory with the tow bar will have a trans cooler."
Not all Falcons delivered new to the customer with a tow bar came from the factory so equipped. If you include dealers as factory, then not all factory Falcons with a towbar had a cooler fitted. AFAIK, only those cars ordered with the full tow-pack option had a factory bar & cooler from the production line. I don't know how many Falcons left Ford's plant with a tow bar and no cooler but tens of thousands have left the Dealers 'new' -with bar & without cooler.
You are all right about the braking distance but how do leave plenty of room when jerks keep cutting into your safety space? What do you do if you have stand on the brakes and the loaded trailer decides to overtake you? How does he handle it when he's on a downhill run and two 'B' doubles fly past nose to tail at 100kph+ and send the trailer swaying and sliding, at the same time lifting your front wheels?
Most of the encouragement given so far has been about the power of the towcar, that's the easy part. The danger and difficulty when using a sedan to tow a high load with a total weight of 150% of the towcar has hardly been mentioned. Real danger comes when something goes less than perfect, even at 70kph and 90kph is way to fast, even though the Falcon has the power to do it. When s**t happens it usually happens quickly, for every one's sake I hope all the experts here can handle it properly and even more quickly.
One or two quiet tows does not make an expert, nor does it make towing easy and to be taken lightly.
Paul

What goes around, comes around.

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:25 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia, XH Outback, EF

WA, Australia

As a rule of thumb, never tow heavy loads in overdrive, its got nothing to do with the engine, its the fact that it is placing alot of strain on your transmission.

My XH is my towcar. Its not the best, it doesn't ever want to stop towing e-series, and takes off like a slug. But it does the job. Continuous towing will wreck your car though, I just don't really care because I plan on replacing engine and trans in it anyway.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2