Fordmods Logo

troymans serpentine conversion+air con retro fitt(finished) 

Page 6 of 8 [ 106 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Sweet..... so I can add a XH belt tensioner and the various bits for the air con to my list of things to source....

thanks mr troyman...

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:50 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

your welcome...

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
nicco wrote:
good work man. all looks good.

and i cant help myself... its off topic, but f**k those wheels of yours are nice. what are they? :lol:

they are csa prowler 17x8"

excellent. cheers

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

frankieh wrote:
Sweet..... so I can add a XH belt tensioner and the various bits for the air con to my list of things to source....

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between an XH tensioner and a EF/EL tensioner? The tensioner puller shattered on my XH (plastic - what were they thinking) and I ratted the entire tensioner assembly off my EL parts car to get going again. It fitted straight on and away I went. I noticed no difference, the original XH belt was re-used, and it was on the car for 6 months before the engine change. Please explain...... :D

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Does your XH have a log manifold or a BBM?

The log manifold XH has a different tensioner with a kink in the top

This is to clear the throttle body.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

It's all standard, with the log manifold. The EL had the BBM set-up on it, and was a runner before it was written off (side impact). Engine still ran, I just had it in the paddock for spares. I used the EL block for my rebuilt engine, now in my XH.
Also, the XH a/c bracket did not fit the EL block, the bolt holes were different. I had to use the EL bracket on my XH pump, with the XH tensioner and log manifold. All fitted fine and still uses the original XH accesories and belt. I have the EL tensioner at home, I'll compare them this weekend. :D

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I'm guessing that if they only came out on the XH, they are probably rare and expensive?

Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

frankieh wrote:
I'm guessing that if they only came out on the XH, they are probably rare and expensive?

Quite correct. New from Ford, over $300.

Repo one is over $200

Second hand from me $100 plus postage.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

ouch....

at least I know where one is for when the time comes...

bad design from ford to have to make different belt arrangements for the same engine.. why didn't they just use the XH tensioner with all of them... (or doesn't it fit with the BBM?)

Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:37 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Falcon

Power: 146 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Hi troyman. It's nick the auto electrician you bought the alternator off.
I'm sorry mate the gas you have used is a s**t gas for that a/c system & you paid $100 for it.
I could have gas your a/c for $120 using R134a gas pag 2 oil & uv dye for future leaks.
Sorry mate i'm not bagging you i'm just letting you know that the gas you have used in time will damage your a/c compressor & you didn't even put oil.
Sometimes some things are better done by experts.

FORD EL 4.0L. Crow cam, T.I Performance J3 Chip, Vernier cam gear, SPR ported head, 68mm TB, AU head gasket + ARP studs, AU injectors, Pacey 4480, High flow cat, Shift kit, Stallie, 3:73 TrueTrac.

Posted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:19 am 

NSW, Australia

racer wrote:
Hi troyman. It's nick the auto electrician you bought the alternator off.
I'm sorry mate the gas you have used is a s**t gas for that a/c system & you paid $100 for it.
I could have gas your a/c for $120 using R134a gas pag 2 oil & uv dye for future leaks.
Sorry mate i'm not bagging you i'm just letting you know that the gas you have used in time will damage your a/c compressor & you didn't even put oil.
Sometimes some things are better done by experts.

yea thats fair enough i only got it gased as i thought it was the cheapest option at the time.and others had recomended the hychill gas. :roll:
but it is was working good and there was oil injected into it. but its now currently leaking from the firewall side of the tx valve and the high/low pressure switch on the tx valve is not working.(if i bypass it the aircon does work good)
so i might come for some advice and probably a regas. :(
i just got to fix the tx valve leak problem.?

i guess thats what i get for being a tight a** :lol: :lol:

Posted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

racer,
Have you got some tech info or other test results to show that HR12 will damage compressors?
This is the first I've heard of it and would like to follow it up as the gas gets pretty good press in WA and Qld.
ATM it seems Troy's problem leak arises from his attempt to modify his Tx valve to fit his earlier system, not the type of gas used.
Troy, I'll get in touch later today to see what I have that might be of use to you.
Paul

What goes around, comes around.

Posted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:18 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Falcon

Power: 146 rwkw

NSW, Australia

OK. The HR12 a/c gas is a blend (mixter of gas's)
It does not mix with a/c oil's so good therefore the oil does not lubricate the a/c system & the compressor will suffer. The HR12 gas will build up to much high pressure (over heat).
If the HR12 gas is so good why does every one still use R134a instead of HR12 ?
The HR12 gas is cheaper to buy aswell.
A lot of people who regas don't understand the system in other words any one can put a/c gas in a system but when there's a problem they just don't know what it is.
If you must know the best gas for a/c is LPG gas but it is illigal to use for a/c as it is very explosive.
The R12 old type a/c gas was the best for a/c but the greenies got rid of that type of gas.
I did say to troyman i will look at the t/x valve for him. Everyone must understand the reason why we had to do a certificate 2 a/c licence is to get rid of boggy a/c operators. I'm very sorry troyman for any misunderstading. Just leting you know you don't have to come to me i just work there i'm not the boss as long as you get the right service for my fellow fordmod member i'm happy.

FORD EL 4.0L. Crow cam, T.I Performance J3 Chip, Vernier cam gear, SPR ported head, 68mm TB, AU head gasket + ARP studs, AU injectors, Pacey 4480, High flow cat, Shift kit, Stallie, 3:73 TrueTrac.

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

As this is Troy's thread, I'll keep this gas answer short.
Yes, the most efficient gas is LPG, HR12 is 50% Propane and 50% isobutane [hardly a blend] and they are also known as LPG. They are hydrocarbons, natural gases.
Not everyone is still using R134a, far from it, it is being phased out worldwide as it is, I believe, a blend of HFC and CHFC fluorocarbons ie. greenhouse gases.
As a hydrocarbon gas HR12 should be compatible with all mineral oils, the manufacturer does state this but recommends using ERG500 synthetic oil. Probably because they make it.
You're right in that HR12 is much cheaper it should be, as it's a purified natural gas. It is also much more efficient and creates less heat at the compressor.
All the literature I've found on HR12 indicates compressors last longer using it, the manufacturers state this as a selling point. I have found no literature at all that states the opposite.
I agree with you that people who don't understand systems, or products, too often get to work on our cars and many problems that later appear, such as insufficient or incorrect oil, can be traced to operator error.
Until I can be convinced otherwise by scientific data or recognised research, I'll keep using an evironmentally friendly, cheaper, freezing cold HR12 in all my cars.
No offense meant, I realise you're only trying to help Troy, which is a good thing.
Cheers,
Paul

What goes around, comes around.

Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:12 pm 

NSW, Australia

thanks for your input guys..
im going to fix this the right way..once and for all :twisted:
it something im dreading but the dash needs to come out again lol..
first im going to fit the heater core and aircon evaperator from my ef wreck. that way i get my heater working again and i wont have to worrie about the differences from ea to ef evaporator core..

nothings straight forward when it comes to retro fitting parts..lol
it started out as a simple belt conversion and has turned into a s**t fight lol.
im fairly stubborn so i want everything working as it should..
including aircon lol

Sort by  
 Page 6 of 8  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next