Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Turbo or N/A
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:12 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Hey all,

Engine is out and stripped, So now is the time to decide on what to do.
Im going to keep it a six and an auto.

So my options are tough n/a engine, 11.1 comp, twin throttle bodies, massive head work and a huge cam.....will make around 420hp and id chuck a 100 shot of noz.

Or rebuild the bottom the bottom end with low comp and buy the stage 5 snort performance kit. And run some serious boost.

What would you guys reccomend and why? Have to start doing things soon.

The n/a setup would be different and freak alot of people out but the turbo would be alot more driveable and make more peak hp...So I dont know.

Fuk it, You only live once!!!

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont ghia

SA, Australia

turbo is just something else to go wrong in my opinion... but i like the feel of a blower - smooth - (yes i have had both in similar ricers :oops: ) and to be na and blow away the opposition who then say you have a turbo or somethin and you say nope! it feels good :twisted:

but if i had a choice of all three i would probably go a clutch controlled blower - but then again i prefer a cruiser to a racer :P

Sometimes when you do something right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. (Futurama, Episode - Godfellows)

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF XR6

SA, Australia

Blower setup would be very drivable, but for some reason N/A setups are just so cool, especialy with a NOS kit.

Have you checked insurance and prices on kits avaliable? That information might make the decision for you.

Not lost any demerit points

Post subject: Re: Turbo or N/A
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

SQUEAK wrote:
So my options are tough n/a engine, 11.1 comp, twin throttle bodies, massive head work and a huge cam.....will make around 420hp

Who told you that ? That's like 315kw - which is more than you could expect out of a NA 4l

It all comes down to money. If you've got 10 grand to spend on a turbo set up then do it. There's a big difference between top end NA mods and a "stage 5" turbo kit though...

My NA engine is quite "drivable" with plenty of torque

ImageImage

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:58 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I added my 2c on the same topic over in the ECU forum.

200RWKW is the limit from a 4L. If you can get more, you'll do all the 4L performance guys out of business!

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont ghia

SA, Australia

also N/A is less messy when it comes to compliance

Sometimes when you do something right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. (Futurama, Episode - Godfellows)

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

TURBO, if you want 300wkws plus then your lookin at turbo or supercharging it, forget NA.
Anyone who's owned/driven a turbo i6 will say this.

Fact is alot of poeple are scared of turbos, sure they were a tad dicey in the 80s, but they are safe as these days

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Oh, and just have an intercooler on the front spells " you have no chance mr hsv" :D

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:31 pm 

Ride: Drives Like Fun

Power: 318 rwkw

Location: Melbourne Interior: Cappucino Exterior: Sparkling Burgundy
VIC, Australia

Agreed - going back 3 or 4 years ago, I was ranting and raving to all my mates about this 'Jim Mock' crowd who did wonders with 4L taxis (hehe)...I was so keen for a dev kit at the time.

At the time, I had a GRA under bonnet TB with converter, with some work going on to my car - I got to test drive the Gas Research's AU test mule for a weekend - T3 turbo, non intercooled (but with water injection), 5psi boost (158 rwkw), chip torque chip and still with 713 + kms out of a tank of premium with a full load of luggage and 2 other passengers also in 30+ degree heat...it was then that I knew what I wanted.

I guess it comes down to what you want out of your car - N/A is great...cops can inspect the engine bay and see there's no visible evidence that your car is illegally modified...obviously different for turbo / supercharger setups.

N/A your performance gains are always higher up in the rev range - turbo makes great torque down low...mine's un-tuned at the moment (pings under 1/2 - 3/4 throttle) @ 35000 RPM - but is still very drivable for daily commuting even with a bit of kick too.

In summary - N/A setups are relatively cheap *read Wade Stage 2 cam, zorst, stractors, 3.45 final ratio, T5 etc)...but for bigger power - turbo / supercharger - it's that simple IMHO.

Vic Cruises & Events

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Turbo or 8. Obviously you've decided not to get an 8, so turbo on the I6 is the go. Proven power, especially on the I6.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BOXCAR (Not some sorry ass EF/EL

QLD, Australia

I went the turbo path and I love it. Speak to Joe at Cresent motorsport as I think he has an engineer (works saturdays) who can supply a certificate for their turbo kits.

The artist formerly known as seton005 (and allegedly The_Murph).

When I was growing up, we were so poor we could'nt even afford to pay attention.

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:59 am 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Cops and rta dont bother me at all.

Ive decided to go the n/a way with a shot of gas.
Been speaking to certain people and I have got a guy that will do my head and it will flow 500hp at 600thou lift.

I can get my custom cam ground for a reasonable price, Im still fine tuning the cam specs but its f**k huge... :twisted:

And im very confident I can break that 200rwkw without the gas and through an auto...... :twisted:

Ive got most of the combo sorted, I just need to find some extractors big enough....No one makes pipes big enough for what I need. I also need a 3inch exhaust, So I need extractors with a 3inch collector. Does anyone know of a company that sells them? So far I think im going to have to go custom.

Last of all Im just trying to work out what computer to buy.

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:15 am 
Site Admin

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

SQUEAK wrote:

Ive decided to go the n/a way with a shot of gas.
Been speaking to certain people and I have got a guy that will do my head and it will flow 500hp at 600thou lift.

I can get my custom cam ground for a reasonable price, Im still fine tuning the cam specs but its f**k huge... :twisted:

And im very confident I can break that 200rwkw without the gas and through an auto...... :twisted:

Ive got most of the combo sorted, I just need to find some extractors big enough....No one makes pipes big enough for what I need. I also need a 3inch exhaust, So I need extractors with a 3inch collector. Does anyone know of a company that sells them? So far I think im going to have to go custom.

Last of all Im just trying to work out what computer to buy.

I've spent around $10-15k chasing 200RWKW N/A. Myself along with all the 4L performance shops will be amazed if you can crack the 200RWKW. If you somehow peak 200RWKW at 8000RPM, it would be no more than a Dyno Queen. The power curve would be pathetic, and power/drivability around the streets would be boring.

If it was as simple as hogging out the ports and throwing in a cam with 0.300" lift, everyone would be doing it already.

420HP is a big power chase even for the EFI 302 guys who have a MASSIVE aftermarket selection of bolt on gear.

XR8Chic has the best heads money can buy for a street 302 (280CFM @ .6500"/270CFM @ .500"), a high flowing intake manifold, good pipes. Then compared to the 4L it has an extra 1000cc of displacement, 2 extra cylinders and 4 extra valves and can only get 200KW to the treads.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:21 am 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

That being said, My mates had au series 1 xr8s.

They had standard heads, spacers under the inlet manifold, larger throttle body, and a ported maf, extarctors and a stage 1 trickflow cam and a unichip, 188rwkw.

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Mondeo XR5T

Power: 173 rwkw

NSW, Australia

SQUEAK wrote:

BUUUULLLL SHHHHIIIIIITTTT

Build it, and I will believe it. But until then :x

And :!: Why wouldn't the cops and RTA bother you :?: Are you GOD or something :?: STOP DREAMING, OR PROVE ME WRONG :!: :!: :!: :!:

I am sorry to be such a prick, but I know about the trial and error of trying to build a N/A I6 (and auto wont cut it). I just hope you're dreams are not shattered. And if for some reason you do achieve that power, be prepared for a rebuild every month :!: :!: :!:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next