Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

arm79 wrote:
Interceptor wrote:
shouldnt the biggest question be "why do you want to go that fast, and where do you plan on doing it?"

Happy wrote:
maybe it is just limited because not being a race car and not being on a race track you would end up killing people driving that fast too often!

Are you his Nanny... Or his Mother... Or his minder... Who cares why he wants to go that fast and where. The man asked a simple question and wants a simple answer, not a sermon on everything else but.

Why do we need to be his nanny, mother or minder - why can't you put us in a group of concerned fellow road users who might be driving past when he is trying out is new limitless tail shaft and end up be killed by it.
Either way you look at it - there is no reason on a public road you can come up with to justify removing the speed limiting.

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Shell with 4 wheels

NSW, Australia

Happy wrote:
arm79 wrote:
Interceptor wrote:
shouldnt the biggest question be "why do you want to go that fast, and where do you plan on doing it?"

Happy wrote:
maybe it is just limited because not being a race car and not being on a race track you would end up killing people driving that fast too often!

Are you his Nanny... Or his Mother... Or his minder... Who cares why he wants to go that fast and where. The man asked a simple question and wants a simple answer, not a sermon on everything else but.

Why do we need to be his nanny, mother or minder - why can't you put us in a group of concerned fellow road users who might be driving past when he is trying out is new limitless tail shaft and end up be killed by it.
Either way you look at it - there is no reason on a public road you can come up with to justify removing the speed limiting.

Exactly

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:02 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Happy wrote:
arm79 wrote:
Interceptor wrote:

Happy wrote:

The man asks a simple question about the capabilities of the tailshaft in his car.

I agree there is no reason to be doing those speeds on a public road.

My issue is that before any attempt at being made to answer the question, you all jump on him about legalities, morals, concerns. As everyone has in the 50 posts like this before.

How do you know he's going to be doing those speeds on a public road. Maybe its on a private property, or a track. At least he asked about the capabilities of his tailshaft before trying to go over 180km/h.

Nothing wrong with answering the damn question, and leaving it at that. If you want to have a crack at him, or raise you concerns and give him a sermon, there is an Offtopic and Flaming section for that. In this post, hes asking a technical/engineering question and looking for an answer of the same. Not a church service preemptively labling him as a "menace to society" without checking first.

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

so to the extreme you'd be ok with me fitting flame throwers on my car as long as it was in the technical section and I only used em on private property :D

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:19 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Sounds a bit silly to me really... :D

But its your car, do what you want and ask the questions you need to make it happen.

But, like alot of the silly stuff in here, I'd keep my opinions to myself and if entirely necessary, drag your a** over the hot coals in flaming... 8-)

BTW - Is there a law stating you cant have flame throwers on your car on a public road ??? :D

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:22 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

Happy wrote:
so to the extreme you'd be ok with me fitting flame throwers on my car as long as it was in the technical section and I only used em on private property :D

knowing you greg, you'd just buy the parts & leave them laying around for years on end until your mysterious shed was built :roll:

8-)

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 3:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

Well I found the absence of a limiter handy when I followed some rice rocket up to his 180 limit then was able to pull out and blow on by.

The car will probably never see that speed again tho.

Reaching the 180 limiter was a matter of routine overtaking roadtrains - I'd be bouncing off the cutout as I went past the cab - now with the current unlimited ECU, having a bit more leeway makes the whole process much more comfortable.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 3:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Shell with 4 wheels

NSW, Australia

Give me your EL XR6 ECU lol

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Haha - sorry, no can do - that's the one currently in the car and which has no limiter (or somewhere above 210 anyway).

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Some of the 3 1/4 alloys had a carbon fibre sleeve over the shafts, the eb xr pursuit cars were a 2 pc shaft.

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Happy wrote:

That's the way I see it, it's your car, do what you like in private were it effects only you, but ocne you start using those flamethrowers in public you become a tool as it's then starts effecting more than just you!

Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:29 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

Interesting read...

Alloy tailshafts, vibration dampers, tailshaft hoops, and a little flaming.. all very interesting stuff where one can learn a little :)

Just be sure to also do a horn upgrade and 'toot' well before you are about to pass me :) Oh, and don't forget to upgrade the front and side airbags (any fords with side airbags?) just in case you come adrift.

It's can be a self awakening to see how long it take for the brains to kick in :)
For me, that was at 150 legal KPH (in N.T.) driving a floating turbo diesel landcruiser with cows in the distance (an i thought it was a desert) :)
Flame throwers could have been handy with the cows :wink:

Cheers.

Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I'd be afraid to go over about 90 in any sort of Land Cruiser :wink:

Just occurred to me to add: that raises something I've always been quick to point out - who's more of a real menace on the road - someone like me who often exceeds 180 with bilstein suspension and EBC brake pads and all mechanicals well maintained, car feeling completely solid and stable..... - or someone who pushes something like a LandCruiser to speeds that are like 60K over what the vehicle should ever be sanely pushed to (and even FEELS like that!). :wink:

Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 2:15 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: 2004 BA Falcon MkII

WA, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
Reaching the 180 limiter was a matter of routine overtaking roadtrains - I'd be bouncing off the cutout as I went past the cab - now with the current unlimited ECU, having a bit more leeway makes the whole process much more comfortable.

I know what you mean mate. Especially the triple and quadruple road trains up north. I see upwards of 150/160 going passed singles and B-trains. My EL tops out at 195kph.

Kel.
BHR
A/MD 1272
240 inch Dragster
466 Big Block Ford
650hp
8.40 @ 156mph (251kph)

Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 4:35 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
I'd be afraid to go over about 90 in any sort of Land Cruiser icon_wink.gif

Just occurred to me to add: that raises something I've always been quick to point out - who's more of a real menace on the road - someone like me who often exceeds 180 with bilstein suspension and EBC brake pads and all mechanicals well maintained, car feeling completely solid and stable..... - or someone who pushes something like a LandCruiser to speeds that are like 60K over what the vehicle should ever be sanely pushed to (and even FEELS like that!). :)

Actually a landcruiser is not a vehicle to be consigned to always travel at 90KPH, far from it. It is the most sensible speed from a fuel consumption standpoint though.
And to clarify the issue, as soon as the truck felt unstable, i dropped my speed to the normal 120 in the outback.
My truck was also well maintained, had very good tyres, suspension, brakes and steering.
It's not a sports car by any figment of the imagination but at the end of the day, bilstein suspension and EBC brake pads will not overcome the law of dynamics :)
Oh, and watch out for cows when you pass those road trains at speed. Can't see the left side of the road for a while. Maybe you also need those flame throwers mentioned earlier :)

Cheers

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next