Under Engine Hoses? WTF 

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Under Engine Hoses? WTF
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:25 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6 Falcon

VIC, Australia

I have a strange heating problem still??

Now im over writing that my car is still over heating.

All my fluid is going somwhere and I have no idea e.g 5 lts 2 days.

I spoke my my machanic last night and told him about my problem.

I asked could it possibly a head gasket and he said no quickly because if it was that I would not be able to drive the distances I do with a head gasket problem. ....Bendigo to Frankston for example

Secondly i told him that just had all the cooling system checked and new hoses, radiators and stuff got put in 2 weeks ago.

Thirdly, when I top up my coolent the car will go all the way to the hot end with about 5 minutes then all of a sudden drop right back down to below the N on the normal range and stay there for the rest of my trip.

He suggested it might be the hoses that run under the engine?? they could be blocked or not doing there job?

I have never heard of these hoses so I was wondering if anybody might have some suggestion as to what it might be, or maybe what could be the problem

Jesus Drove Fords

Proud Owner of a XR6 MkII

Post subject: Re: Under Engine Hoses? WTF
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

ebjamie wrote:
I have a strange heating problem still??

Thirdly, when I top up my coolent the car will go all the way to the hot end with about 5 minutes then all of a sudden drop right back down to below the N on the normal range and stay there for the rest of my trip.

Well that suggests that the thermostat is f**k. If it goes all the way to hot then right down to normal then its screwed. Take it out and boil the jug a cupple times, put the thermostat in a glass and pour hot water over the top of it and wait and it should open. If not then get a new one.

As for cooling hoses there are 2 to the block from radiator, two that go inside the cabbin for the heater, one metal one that runs around the block, and a couple under the BBM.

I had a problem when my coolant didnt last long and it kept loosing fluid quick. I soon found that there was a hose about 15cm long and 10mm diamiter under the BBM that was leaking, the bottom radiator hose leaked and the gaskit between the head and the thermostat houseing were all leaking.

HOLDENS go like rockets. They fall apart in stages!!!

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

This is exactly why I hate having to flush my cooling system when it comes time to work on it. Always have the problems mentioned above. Go for a short drive and turn it off and it dumps the coolent out of the over flow because of the air bubbles in the cooling system. Does it for a week without fail.
Happens if I replace the thermostat, have the radiator rebuilt, or just flush it out.

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:54 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

I just had a new thermostat put it 2 weeks ago also.

Its not 'dumping' all the fluid but when I go to start the car again is seems to be all gone. It really has me beat.

Jesus Drove Fords

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:35 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 05 BA MKII XR8, 95 EF gli Wagon

NSW, Australia

have you tried putting a coke bottle on the end of the over flow tube to see if the water is going out there?

if there is water in the bottle after you go for a drive, your radiator cap is stuffed as it cant hold the pressure and just lets it out the overflow.

did the correct thermostat get put in? it shouldn't go to the hot end of the guage before the thermostat opens, usually the opening point is at about 'M' on the guage at the most.

bucko

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:42 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Could be air in the system, although it seems like you've been filling it up too much for it too just be that.
Take the cap off, turn the heater on full bore, and then let the car idle for a while to bleed the system.
No coolant on the ground at all if it's parked overnight?
Don't rule out headgasket, can have a leaky one and the car still feels fine, depends how/where its leaking.
Any coolant stains down exhaust side of block?

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:38 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Thanks for that.

Tonight when I get home I will try these things. I have had the heater hoses on for a little while whilst driving around but tonight I will have it flat out whilst idling.

I've done the coke bottle thing and nothing when it there, well not much only a couple of drops.

I assumed the right thermostat is in. Could I possible that the 3 core radiator is keeping the water too cool and not allowing the thermo to open at the right point, just a stab in the dark maybe.

Jesus Drove Fords

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:22 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EB II Fairmont

ACT, Australia

Might be a small leak thats spraying onto the block or the exhaust manifold, so it evaporates before you find it?

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:42 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: E-Hybrid Falcon

NSW, Australia

you can smell burning coolant i know from experience, you should also smell leaking coolant if its getting dispersed/atomised by a fan etc.
i noticed only 1 person here mentioned bleeding the air out of the system, VERY important. an air bubble can stay in the lines till they dry out & break if the system isn't completely air-free, or travel round till it finds a nice home in the upper reigons of the head.

crow cam,cai,exaust,bbm,190 reg & el injectors,xr6 interior,guages,white cluster,pioneer/mtx stereo,big boot install w.i.p, 17"rims,koni/pedders shocks&springs with nolathane re-bush,ssv kit,stainless inserts,clear lights,t5 & short shifter,chardonay/pearl paint

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF 95' Fairmont

WA, Australia

My Bet split heater hose..... Will pissout and it will spray on the block and disolve so ne evidence.... I had mine go before chrissy and i used so much so fast it wasnt funny....

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:50 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Ok quick update.

Went home last night and filled the little f**k with coolant again. Dried up after one Trip between Frankston and Hawthorn??

Turn the heater flat out for 20 mins and let it idle, after about 17 mins all the coolant had gone then all of a sudden a big green coolant bubble came to the top of where the coolant goes and then it over flowed. I thought to myself, sweet it must have been an air bubble...problem fixed.

Then on the way to work this morning the temp gauge went straight up again as soon as a gave my car a little stick, thne got the Red section then went down faster then a mail order bride and stayed below the 'L'.......stange piece of work my car?

I havnt checked around the exhaust yet because I have that nice piece of sheet metal covering them

Jesus Drove Fords

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:06 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: Manual EL XR6

I haven't seen it mentioned in any posts so far. So you could get a mechanic to pressurise the system, if it holds pressure then you got no leaks. If it doesn't hold pressure then you should be able to see where it's leaking from.

I had a work colleague that had a similar problem with his ef futura, the heater core was leaking and all the water was sitting in the cabin under the carpet. You should check there too, as he didn't work out where the coolant was going for weeks either.

Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Jason.

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Stanxr6 wrote:
I haven't seen it mentioned in any posts so far. So you could get a mechanic to pressurise the system, if it holds pressure then you got no leaks. If it doesn't hold pressure then you should be able to see where it's leaking from.

I had a work colleague that had a similar problem with his ef futura, the heater core was leaking and all the water was sitting in the cabin under the carpet. You should check there too, as he didn't work out where the coolant was going for weeks either.

Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Jason.
I agree, get someone to pressurise the system and go from there

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:21 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 95 NF Fairlane

VIC, Australia

hey ebjamie .... i currently have that problem .. where you drive down the road then the gauge goes all the way to hot (red) then you kick it isn the guts and then it goes back to normal but when mine does it and it gets to hot .. it pumps water out of the overflow ... i was told thermostat .. mines only 2 months old .. you can try one of 2 things .. 1st thing you can put an xf thermostat in it .. and 2nd you can take the thermostat out altogether .. that should hopfully stop it .. dude it wont hurt to try as the price on a head is more then a thermostat gasket .. let us know how things go .. cheers

93 EB 4 Speed auto , 2 1/2 sports from cat back , pod filter , LSD , super low suspenstion , mok tickford rims 15" , 7 colour changing led parker lights , led no plate lights and still want more .. allooootttttttttttt more ..

"Drive it , Like you stole it " ... so whats your excuse :D

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

kaiden351 wrote:
.. 1st thing you can put an xf thermostat in it .. and 2nd you can take the thermostat out altogether .. that should hopfully stop it .. dude it wont hurt to try as the price on a head is more then a thermostat gasket .. let us know how things go .. cheers
If you find it is the thermostat go to FORD get the right thermostat for your vehicle to start with, and DONT run your vehicle without a thermostat.....get the cooling system pressure tested and go from there

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next