Fordmods Logo

XH XR6 STARTING PROBLEM 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: XH XR6 STARTING PROBLEM
Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:55 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AUII XR8 Pursuit & EF XR6

NSW, Australia

Bought my XH 2 days ago and already shes stopped and doesnt want to start again. When I started driving it it has a splutter down low then got going up high which was annoying but could deal with it. Last night I was cruising round town and after I stopped it took a while to start (as if it was flooding) but it when, got around the corner and it spluttered n backfired n went on then it just stopped all together. It tries to start every now and again but it wont fire. Any ideas of whats up?? Spark plugs were carboned up but I cleaned them and reset the gap but still no go. I dont think its spark as it tries to fire sometimes

Any help as Ive only had the car 2 days and Im ready to burn it already. LOL. Cheers, Justin

- 1994 EF XR6, Auto, EL XR wheels. Clean and close to original ( Missus' Kiddie Chariot )
- 2001 AUII XR8 Pursuit ute, 5 speed, 18" alloys, custom tray. Goes alright!! lol

Post subject: Re: XH XR6 STARTING PROBLEM
Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:06 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

the dreaded tfi module....

Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:11 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Im not much on the 6s as Ive owned an 8 for a while. What does the TFI Module? Where would it be located? Basically anything to help me as Im new to the car.

- 1994 EF XR6, Auto, EL XR wheels. Clean and close to original ( Missus' Kiddie Chariot )
- 2001 AUII XR8 Pursuit ute, 5 speed, 18" alloys, custom tray. Goes alright!! lol

Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:17 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: NA Fairlane / FE LTD

VIC, Australia

piggybacks on the distributor and is a common problem so i will say +1.
Take air box and snorkle out to get to it.
New ones you can get from repco.

Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:19 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

jughead302 wrote:
Im not much on the 6s as Ive owned an 8 for a while. What does the TFI Module? Where would it be located? Basically anything to help me as Im new to the car.

its the grey plastic module on the side of the dizzy,(same type of module as the e series v8)

Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:23 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

If it helps I also gave the engine bay a really good degrease throughout the whole lot. Would a bit of water be the culprit? Got a spare dizzy setup sitting here so I will give the module a go in the morning and report back.

Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:24 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Ok changed the TFI and still no go. Pulled the injectors and rail out and plenty of s**t come out. Pulled the fuel tank out and the entire inside was rust so I cleaned that up. Put it back together hoping that fuel was the culprit and still no go!!

Pulled a lead off and checked for spark but the spark was very slow and inconsistent. Im thinking it could be a coil. All ideas and opinions guys????

Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:37 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Yeah thought it was fuel so I cleaned out the entire system, injectors to tank. Tank was full of rust on the bottom so done a reco of the fuel system while I was at it. Now it doesnt have any spark, she just cranks over and over without a hint of life.

As I said before I heavily degreased the motor on Thursday and it went 100 odd km before stopping. Is it possible a bit of water could of made its way in or through the wiring??

Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:06 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Will check all of that and report back. Just thinking at what I did today, for some reason the previous owner has tapped a wire into the neg wire on the blue plug. Not sure why?? And not knowing at the time it was the negative I connected it to the positive of the battery. Somehow I think "finished off" the coil with this random doing.

Hopefully it hasnt damaged anything else.....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]