Fordmods Logo

Better sound, more bass 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Better sound, more bass
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA XR8

VIC, Australia

Hi all I'm looking to get a little better sound out of my series 1 AU Fairlane Ghia with premium sound. It's on LPG and the installation of the gas tank meant removing the factory parcel shelf mounted 8" sub woofer. I'm removing the LPG system so I'm now in the market for a free air 8" sub. Any ideas?
Also I have no rear stage at all. Nothing. Speakers don't work. I've been told of the sub is disconnected then that will make the rear speakers not work. Is this true?
Lastly I'll be installing some FLI-57 INTEGRATORS in both front doors and rear parcel shelf.
I'm not interested in changing head units or amps. This should sound ok yeah?

Post subject: Re: Better sound, more bass
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:22 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Not sure how disconnecting the subwoofer will render the rear speakers useless unless all 3 speakers are connected to a factory amplifier that had to be disconnected (as it could have been mounted near where gas tank would be). Did the premium sound system come with a factory amplifier? If so, this may need to be reconnected.

How much did you want to spend on the sub and what quality? To fill the space and have some bass without worrying too much on quality (still good enough unless you're an audiophile with precise hearing) Pioneer still make shallow subs, not sure if other companies such as MTX/JVC/JL Audio still make free air subs, I have been out of the scene for a while.

For more quality and clarity, you'd have to go with a boxed sub. Even a entry level sub in a box would do better. If you go to JB HiFi or something, they usually stock a fair few subs designed to be enclosed. If you want better quality and clarity compared to entry level, you would look into "not so popular" subs such as Digital Design. Digital Design have 8" subs in their 500 and 600 series, but they can be expensive. 500 series 8" sub needs a small 5L enclosure, so mounting a box that small under the parcel shelf is feasible. This is but one of many other brands out there that make excellent speakers...just depends on the purpose and the size of your bank account.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Post subject: Re: Better sound, more bass
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:10 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA XR8

VIC, Australia

Cool as thx for the info. I haven't had a good look as to why the rear speakers aren't working. Yes there's a factory amp and they may well all run off the one output so disconnecting one might render the other two useless...
I might swing past an audio place and give them a look cheers.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]