Post subject: Distorting Subs
Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:35 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: Fairmont Ghia BA 5.4L V8, AU 6

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

Hey Guys,

Im buillding a couple of boxes for the BA out of fiberglass, ive just put one of the subs in and it sounds great inside the car. But when i open the boot and turn it up the sub is distorting, and TBH for a sealed box it seems to be moving alot more than it should when it does distort.

Would this be due to the box leaking air? which is what i suspect is happening.

Any ideas/comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments:
File comment: New Fiberglass Boxes.
P1000480.JPG
P1000480.JPG [ 426.86 KiB | Viewed 221 times ]

Chaos, Panic and Disorder. My work here is finally done.
BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4L. Mods -Full Exhaust, Chipped, Custom Intake, CAI @205.4RWKW.
Stezza - Alpine Type R Splits & 6x9's, Alpine 400w RMS 4ch, 380w RMS Pioneer Mono, 2x12" Pioneer Subs and an AVH-P5950DVD Player.

Post subject: Re: Distorting Subs
Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:32 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 6.0L VE Calais-V

VIC, Australia

Yep, the box is either leaking or you're just running the sub too hard.

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:49 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Sweet as bro, will check for leaks tonight armed with my trusty sikaflex. Might try connecting the other sub to the mono block to reduce the amount of power going to each sub and see if that solves the issue :).

BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4L. Mods -Full Exhaust, Chipped, Custom Intake, CAI @205.4RWKW.
Stezza - Alpine Type R Splits & 6x9's, Alpine 400w RMS 4ch, 380w RMS Pioneer Mono, 2x12" Pioneer Subs and an AVH-P5950DVD Player.

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

so they aren't ported? they'll be using the boot as a box kinda thing. if they sound good in the car they are fine. when you open the boot you release all the pressure

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:05 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

If that's the case, you're running the subs right on their limit. You shouldn't need front pressure from having the boot closed to stop them from distorting.

Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:01 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 06 BF XR6

VIC, Australia

Make sure the gain on the amp is set correctly.

Current car 2011 FG XR6 Ute Limited Edition

Past cars:06 BF XR6
97 EL

Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:20 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

if you gain is set too high on the amp you will approach a point where the amp will begin to "clip"... What happens here is the amp cannot reproduce the sound, either due to the input signal being too high, or gains on the amp set too high and instead of giving a sin wave on the put terminal it injects straight DC into your subs... Unless you rectify it this DC will inevitably burn out the coils in your subs... The best way to avoid this is to ensure your subs are a very similar RMS wattage to your amp... People think bigger wattage subs are better, actually as close to or slightly lower wattage subs are better this way you reach the physical limits of the sub before you reach the limit of the amp where it clips...

But depending on what you call distortion its hard to know whether your just over powering the subs (you've reach the subs physical limits and you trying to give them more than they can handle) or your reaching the amps limits and its starting to clip...

If you've got a lot of movement it may not be leaks, you'd be surprised how much air will actually compress... Esp if you've got a lot of energy to do it... Hence why pneumatics are not as common as hydraulics...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:06 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the reply's!!!!!! :D

I think ive managed to figure it out, its a combination of problems. The first of which was a tiny hole that was not even one mm wide that was leaking air where i put the speaker wires through :shock: LOL. Then i turned down the gain a bit, but turned it back up once the second sub was connected. I think the box flexes a bit being fiberlgass too, might wack a few more layers on it and harden it up a bit.

The AMP im running is 250W RMS x1 @ 4ohm and 360W RMS x1 @2ohm. My subs are 400W RMS each. Mind you these subs are probably about 4-5 years old now, do these things have a useby date? hehehe. At the moment i got them running parralel @ 2ohm.

Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

So 800w RMS of subs & 360w RMS of amp? Sounds like you need some more amp to drive the subs properly.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:09 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Yeah well you could probably go a little larger with the amp in that case... Na the older the better I say... None of this chinese crap back in the day... When s**t was built to last... (5yrs might not cut it though... :?) Just so long as you've got a sound your happy with at the moment...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:24 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
So 800w RMS of subs & 360w RMS of amp? Sounds like you need some more amp to drive the subs properly.

timmytimtim wrote:
Yeah well you could probably go a little larger with the amp in that case... Na the older the better I say... None of this chinese crap back in the day... When s**t was built to last... (5yrs might not cut it though... :?) Just so long as you've got a sound your happy with at the moment...

Cheers,
Tim

I know what ya mean aye, they just don't build em like they used to!!!

Yeah i had thought about it and i was going to get another mono block, but by the time i got around to it they stopped making that model :(. i reckon the guts of the new ones are the same and would get one but i like to have it all looking sorta the same. Got an alpine 4 channel and there mono's look alright, but $$$$$$. I think ill leave it as is for now and conentrate on finishing the boxes LOL. I aslo need to put the 4 channel somwhere where it still allows acces to the spare, i was thinking make another plate from fiberglass and mount it inbetween the subs, so you don't even see the gas tank. Just AMP and Woofer :mrgreen:

What you reckon?

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:07 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

As the others have said, you need a bigger amp. You will definitely be causing that amp to "clip" due to the little power you have.

You can hear clipping quite easily... Your bass will sound nice and smooth, then you go one more increment on your head unit volume and it no longer sounds smooth. You should find a song with a bit of bass, get someone inside the car and you at the boot and get them to turn it up until you hear that change. Then play the same song and listen IN the car and see if you can hear the change, it won't be as obvious when in the cabin with the other speakers, but once you know what clipping sounds like when mixed with the rest of the speakers, you'll know when you need to back off the volume :)

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:47 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Stone wrote:
As the others have said, you need a bigger amp. You will definitely be causing that amp to "clip" due to the little power you have.

I would have never thought the AMP not having enough power would cause that sort of thing to happen :shock: . I think i will invest in a new AMP soon then if thats the case :twisted: . I know for a fact its sealed now though thanks to my friend sikaflex, so that must be it.

Hopefully get some new batteries for the remote today so i can test i out fully, though my neighbours are starting to get a bit annoyed :lol:

Thanks for all your help guys!! :D :D

Couple of pics of the AMPs n Subs.

Attachments:
File comment: Pioneer Mono 360W RMS x 1 and 1 Farad Cap
P1000322.JPG
P1000322.JPG [ 411.06 KiB | Viewed 185 times ]
File comment: Pioneer 12's and Alpine 400w RMS 4Ch
P1000510.JPG
P1000510.JPG [ 428.89 KiB | Viewed 187 times ]

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:58 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Drive down to the local footy oval or something so you don't bother people and then any dodgy neighbours don't know you have a stereo to steal :)

If you want to stick with Pioneer, the GM-D8400M (new model is GM-D8500M) runs two of those subs alright with 600Wrms at 2 ohm. Otherwise look for something that is 800Wrms at 2 ohm.

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:03 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Hehehe, i think ill find some carpark in the industrial area somwhere that shal suit my needs :).

Yeah i have always used Pioneer and there stuff is awesome but recently got some Alpine Type R speakers and amp and im quite impressed with the results :). I'll go for an Alpine MRP-M1000 when the time comes, 1000W RMS @ 2ohm for an extra 100 bucks :).

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next