Fordmods Logo

GPS 

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:20 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

I've got a CF GPS card (not pictured) that's antenna stick up outta the back of the unit, It also takes an external antenna, which is very useful, as it helps acquire fixes much faster, and works better in built up environments (Sydney CBD for example, the internal ant. doesn't work very well).

GPS hardware is pretty cheap these days, and there's lots of free software. The expensive bit is software that has maps and navigation. $500 isn't to unresonable. Check eBay I got my software (Destinator 3) from there for a song.

My first GPS unit for my iPAQ was over $700 with some very redimentary software (no navigation) and outdated maps of only NSW+ACT.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

data_mine wrote:
I've got a CF GPS card (not pictured) that's antenna stick up outta the back of the unit, It also takes an external antenna, which is very useful, as it helps acquire fixes much faster, and works better in built up environments (Sydney CBD for example, the internal ant. doesn't work very well).

GPS hardware is pretty cheap these days, and there's lots of free software. The expensive bit is software that has maps and navigation. $500 isn't to unresonable. Check eBay I got my software (Destinator 3) from there for a song.

My first GPS unit for my iPAQ was over $700 with some very redimentary software (no navigation) and outdated maps of only NSW+ACT.

Ahh ok, sweet thanks for that, yeah i was looking at getting this hardware, but:
http://www.haicom.com.tw/gps204E_USB.shtml
http://h50025.www5.hp.com/hpcom/au_en/1 ... mmary.html

But im not too familiar with what type of t*** is out there, like you said the destinator 3 software i found was ~$700 mark :shock:. not willing to spend that much on it,

BTW with the antenna that i showed there the 204E, would it be capable of picking up a signal in a built up environment like the CBD, as long as you put it sumwhere on the dash???

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:33 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

I've got a Haicom GPS CF card unit, works very well in car, and has the option of an external ant. which I stick on the roof of the car by the driver door (it's very magnetic).

That USB GPS won't work with any PDA I've seen (they don't have USB ports for peripherals, only for syncing).

You'll need (for the 6150) either a bluetooth or SDIO (SD card) GPS.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

data_mine wrote:
I've got a Haicom GPS CF card unit, works very well in car, and has the option of an external ant. which I stick on the roof of the car by the driver door (it's very magnetic).

That USB GPS won't work with any PDA I've seen (they don't have USB ports for peripherals, only for syncing).

You'll need (for the 6150) either a bluetooth or SDIO (SD card) GPS.

Thanks for that data_mine lots of help.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2