i need ideas for speaker and sound system selection 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: i need ideas for speaker and sound system selection
Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 08 ranger xlt

WA, Australia

i dnt really get the whole 2way/ 3way speaker stuff and the tuturial on the subject is not working when i click the link so im gonna ask you people on what u recommend i get.

i own a ranger dual cab xlt.

i wont b havin a sub installed..mainly cos there is no room

2 speakers in the front doors and 2 speakers in the back doors... im not too sure on sizes of the holes. i gather they r 6inchs.

i listen to mainly rock music. id like a bit of bass or thump pumpin out of it.

its al gonna b run by the pioneer top of the range double din unit.

i can prob fit a small amp in the car.

cheers for your help!

IF ONLY MY GIRLFRIEND WAS AS DIRTY AS MY CAR

Post subject: Re: i need ideas for speaker and sound system selection
Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Falcon XR6

NSW, Australia

Well in simple terms a 2 way speaker will only play higher frequencies then a 3way will play the same frequencies plus a few more lower frequencies then 4way speakers play the same plus lower frequencies again. It's easier to imagine if you see the speakers - 2ways have a very shallow cone, where as 4ways have a fairly deep cone.

IMO 3 ways don't have enough bass coming out of them, so without a sub, my advice - 4ways in the back, then 3ways in the front and I think that should be nice...better yet - run splits in the front doors, if you got the cash?

Anyway thats what I would do, but I'm the first to admit I'm no expert!

1997 EL Falcon XR6 Sedan
Cold Air Intake | Sequential Scoop | Pacemaker 4480 & 2.5" Exhaust

1976 XB Falcon 500 Wagon
Sherwood Green | 3spd/250CI | Hurricane Extractors + Custom Twin 2" Exhaust | Running Whitewalls on a 2.5" Drop

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

What 2 way and 3 way in basic terms is how many parts the speaker is split into to produce frequencies. For example a 2 way will have 2 parts, 1 which is the larger speaker which supplies the low and mid frequencies and the other smaller (tweeter) supplying the high frequencies. A 3 way has the larger supplying low and low mids then a smaller speaker supplying the mid frequencies and finally the tweeter supplying the high frequencies. There is also different ways the frequencies are split up but thats another story. Read link for more info.
http://www.electronixwarehouse.com/educ ... ponent.htm

In regards to what speakers to choose you are limited to the size of the factory mounting hole. It also depends on your budget. The front speakers normally are the important ones as thats where the stage sound is and the more money is spent on those but you arent looking for a sub so a set of 2 way splits or coaxial speakers up front will be fine and for added bass 2 way 6x9" speakers in the rear if they can be fitted. Personally i would go for JL Audio as i have had mine for over 6 years without an issue and pleased with the quality but everyone has there own opinion.

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:10 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

covers wrote:
i dnt really get the whole 2way/ 3way speaker stuff and the tuturial on the subject is not working when i click the link so im gonna ask you people on what u recommend i get.

i own a ranger dual cab xlt.

i wont b havin a sub installed..mainly cos there is no room

2 speakers in the front doors and 2 speakers in the back doors... im not too sure on sizes of the holes. i gather they r 6inchs.

i listen to mainly rock music. id like a bit of bass or thump pumpin out of it.

its al gonna b run by the pioneer top of the range double din unit.

i can prob fit a small amp in the car.

cheers for your help!

Find out what size speakers the Rangers use (I don't know),but Ford have a bad habit of using 5x7's in recent models) although they've gone back to 6" for the FG.

It doesn't cut down your options, as with a spacer ring, you can generally get any 6" to fit anyway.

If you're after plenty of bass - punch - without getting a sub, you'll definately want an amplifier for the front speakers, as that kind of punch needs power to make it - no other way around it.

Let us know what sort of budget you have, and we can provide some examples.

I use fairly high end gear, and compete in Sound Quality competitions. As a hint, I've got 3-way front speakers (totalling over $1000), and ~1200WRMS of amplifiers running them (8 channels of amps). This gives plenty of punch, and dynamic range. The sub I've got only reinforces frequencies from 23-50Hz.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

fowlerj wrote:
Well in simple terms a 2 way speaker will only play higher frequencies then a 3way will play the same frequencies plus a few more lower frequencies then 4way speakers play the same plus lower frequencies again. It's easier to imagine if you see the speakers - 2ways have a very shallow cone, where as 4ways have a fairly deep cone.

IMO 3 ways don't have enough bass coming out of them, so without a sub, my advice - 4ways in the back, then 3ways in the front and I think that should be nice...better yet - run splits in the front doors, if you got the cash?

I'm guessing you're talking about coaxials?

Splits is a whole different matter, I have only run 2 way splits (DLS PS6A & Hertz MLS 6.5in) and they are great with a sub, have heard a few set ups with 3 way splits (various brands including Hertz, DLS, and some other one I was impressed by, can't remember who though as was over a year ago when I was shopping) and some of these setups had fantastic midbass - bass. But remember to get the most out of this you need a good amplifier set up.

For this case I would get some decent splits for the front and maybe 6x9's for the rear (even though not a fan of 6x9's) if you intend on going no sub.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

skidder wrote:
fowlerj wrote:

I'm guessing you're talking about coaxials?

Splits is a whole different matter, I have only run 2 way splits (DLS PS6A & Hertz MLS 6.5in) and they are great with a sub, have heard a few set ups with 3 way splits (various brands including Hertz, DLS, and some other one I was impressed by, can't remember who though as was over a year ago when I was shopping) and some of these setups had fantastic midbass - bass. But remember to get the most out of this you need a good amplifier set up.

For this case I would get some decent splits for the front and maybe 6x9's for the rear (even though not a fan of 6x9's) if you intend on going no sub.

I got no idea what he's talking about!!

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA Falcon

Power: 106 rwkw

SA, Australia

if they are 5x7 they will be a pain in the armpit as they are not really a normal size....

I got my hands on some BF Premium Speakers for my AU.... sound alot better than the ones they fit from factory.....

also make sure they are fitted correctly as a I have seen many backyard jobs where they have not connected them right (wrong polarity) and makes them sound crap (no Bass)

2003 BA Falcon Egas Taxi Pack - XR Replica
Tpak MKII Build Thread

1984 ZL Fairlane
The Project

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon AUIII SR

NSW, Australia

In my au i went to summernats and thought i would just look around at whats sound gear was for sale. I ended up buying 2 pairs of soundstream xtc series splits so they are all round in the car and 2 x 12inch subs. Speakers are powered by a 900watt fusion reactor amp and the subs are powered by a 1900watt alpine amp mr1000 i think its called. And it is absolutely insane, it sounds great and clear. And even without the subs on, if the deck is tuned right with the right amp it will do what u want it to.

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

thankx for the help so far guyz. ive been told the fronts r 6" and the backs r 4". im not too sure if theres room to fit a spacer and a bigger speaker in the rear doors.

btw im hoping to spend $1000 at the most on speakers and an amp

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Do your rear seats look like this or the bench seat option? If they are like the seats in pic you may have enough space under one of them for a small slim line sub.

Attachments:
ranger dual cab rear.jpg
ranger dual cab rear.jpg [ 36.09 KiB | Viewed 170 times ]

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:55 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

omg they look stupid lol. mines the bench seat.

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Ahh bummer, well you dont have many options then but to fit speakers same as factory size as spacers may be too much for the door skins to fit. The rears look bigger than 4" so you may be able to get some bass out of the system with decent 6's all around and an amp. For under $1000 you can get some ok sound. In the rear some 2 way coaxials and front use splits. A 4channel amp should fit under the front seat.

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

i removed the rear door panel and ther is about half an inch gap between then panel and the speaker so i may b able to fit 6inch speakers in. how thick r the spacers???

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:26 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

covers wrote:
i removed the rear door panel and ther is about half an inch gap between then panel and the speaker so i may b able to fit 6inch speakers in. how thick r the spacers???

Depends if you buy 'em or make them from MDF, then 6mm/9mm MDF would be plenty.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

The pitch or angle of the speaker cage will determine what thickness of spacer you need. BTW i didnt think it was illegal to enlarge speaker holes in doors as the inner door skin isnt structural. So a good jigsaw cutter with a metal blade will do the job. This also depends on how much door skin you have to play with.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next