Fordmods Logo

Making the sub box 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Making the sub box
Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lancer Coupe

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, s**t there is no post anymore in the forums.

Anyway guys, i am goning to make a sub box on thursday, just out of curiosity does it matter how the sub is mounted. what i mean is, is the box is going to be very slim and wide so that it leaves a ton of boot space. would it affect the way the sub works or is it just on the volume in the box which is important.

Thanks guys.

i was just thinking how many words were typed since the beginning of fordmods and now lost.

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

The shape/volume/internal treatment will all make a difference to the sound produced by the Sub.

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

The volume of the box is the biggest factor, I doubt you will hear a difference between different 'shapes' though.
As long as there is a bit of clearance behind the sub it shouldn't be a problem dude...

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

err, its a known fact that the box shape of ANY speaker, subs mostly will make a difference to the overall sound of the unit.
Its quite possible if you own or use or build cheap nasty stuff you might not notice it that much, but in a half decent or SQ based system it will make a difference for sure. :idea:

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:35 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Its not overly important for low frequencies Daniel...

Volume, port size, construction materials etc - they are the factors that effect how it will sound primarily.

Refer to here if needed: http://www.diysubwoofers.org/faq.htm

EF Fairmont now Sold!

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

okay then guys tahnks for that. i thnk i will make it a bit deeper then to give more room behind the box.

oh yeah another question

you know the subwoofer where should it face the back of the car or the the back seat. i have mine to the back of the car but some mates have theres to the front right up against the back seat.

cheers

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:41 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yep, facing it towards the back almost always gives a higher output.
Try it either way though, ultimately is up to you what sounds best.

EF Fairmont now Sold!

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

voxace wrote:
Its not overly important for low frequencies Daniel...

Volume, port size, construction materials etc - they are the factors that effect how it will sound primarily.

Refer to here if needed: http://www.diysubwoofers.org/faq.htm

Its all significant - I mean you don?t just choose your driver and slap it any shaped/volumed box - if you have one which might be 20cm deep compared to 45+ you will notice a differentiation, and ports will make a difference in addition, but honestly I?d think why go ported when you can have a sealed box, they sound so much better in the majority of cases, being tighter and more accurate in the production of their sound.

Regarding the subs firing direction: It has been said that most systems will be "louder" facing towards the back of the car. I.e. facing the boot not the seats.
This basically will use the car to reflect the sound waves back towards the cabin and in-turn the passengers.
Some people rather have the subs firing directly into the cabin, which is what your mates have done with them behind the seats; however I?m not sure and presume they need the seats down to use them properly or to their full potential which is a waste of space/seats in some peoples cases.

The choice is yours, if you can I?d say find people with both setups and see what appeals to YOU most!
:P

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:58 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

As long as there is enough clearance behind the driver it really isn't that significant for a sub to have any special shaped box. I say make it practical so that it fits in the car nicely rather than have it stick out, be a nuisance and sound 0.01% better to an audiophiles ears.

Modern analysis seems to suggest that special cabinet dimension ratios do not have as much of an effect on performance as what was once assumed. Standing waves are caused by the reflection of frequency wavelengths that happen to be the same size as the distance between parallel surfaces, or surfaces that are at right angles to the first surface and of the same size. This effect can be minimized by using enclosure designs with non-parallel panels, or using proportions that can reduce the opportunities for the offending frequencies to reinforce themselves. The generally accepted “golden ratio” for these proportions is said to be 2.6/1.6/1, but the use of this ratio is not critically important when designing and building subwoofers. The trapezoidal shape that is so common for the ease of creating mid/high arrays is also helpful for subwoofer box enclosures because of the non-parallel sides, but the sub box can work just fine if it has a more traditional shape. An airtight box, well braced, and adequately stuffed with damping material, will be as important as the shape of the enclosure. A subwoofer enclosure has to conform to the dimensional and/or transportability issues mentioned in the introduction to this discussion, and even built in subs face constraints imposed on them by the structure into which they are built.

EF Fairmont now Sold!

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:57 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF Ute

VIC, Australia

you can build a box to a specific size and place in on certian angles and it will change the sound a shytload, for instance my box originally was facing the roof and massive, moved air but sounded shyt, rebuilt a sealed box and angled it, now it sound mad, cant hear the sub, sit in the bass, but it takes alot of tinkering, i basically can't hear the sub moving, juss the air.

Explorers gone, bring on the ute.

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Quote:
you can build a box to a specific size and place in on certian angles and it will change the sound a shytload, for instance my box originally was facing the roof and massive, moved air but sounded shyt, rebuilt a sealed box and angled it, now it sound mad, cant hear the sub, sit in the bass, but it takes alot of tinkering, i basically can't hear the sub moving, juss the air.
\

what?

is it s**t with the new box or better. it sond mad but you cant hear it and you still only hear air moving.
lol

no offence man, i am just in a a*** mood.

2 more days boys til the end of my secondary school life

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:35 pm 

Ride: Drives Like Fun

Power: 318 rwkw

Location: Melbourne Interior: Cappucino Exterior: Sparkling Burgundy
VIC, Australia

Getting a bit OT here - just remember, there's a difference between hearing sub bass and feeling it - in reference to your question...there isn't a 'whole' lot of audible difference between box shapes (well connotations of the most commonly used square / rectangular box) that are not going to yield huge differences in a mobile environment like a car.

I recall playing around with my first install - had 2 X 10" Alpine VR's firing towards the rear of the boot - sounded great...then re-made the box and had them facing upwards...a similar sound was achieved...it was difficult for me to hear the difference - something I was a tad bit disappointed with considering all the efforts with the result of the second box (still 2 X 45L sealed enclosures).

Standing waves, phase, bass reflex - there are many variables that have more of an impact - in short, don't stress so much about the box being wider and not as deep - be more concerned with it's build quality, placement and amp configurations.

My2c,
Steve

Vic Cruises & Events

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

thanks guys

i will see how i go with it all.

cheers

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

if you are making your own box, just make sure you go crazy with silicone to make sure that the box doesnt have any air leaks !

BOOSTED

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:35 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF Ute

VIC, Australia

i dunno how to explain it, you still hear an amazing amount of bass juss don't get that sub sound where you hear the cone overworking, if you know what i mean?

Explorers gone, bring on the ute.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next