Page 3 of 4 [ 47 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

KTASTRPHE wrote:
Yep, legal in WA, but they can do you for obstruction of view out of your windscreen or some crap.

in answer to the original question, a lot of people use the Bel RX65 or the 990 - there was actually a thread not too long ago on here, do a search.
I use a Whistler and that is decent too.

You'd have to have one in that ute of yours. :lol:

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:20 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

The problem with the microwave solution is for one the power required to power the thing (ie, get ready to buy HUGE capacitors to get any decent range), and making the waveguide (ie making it directional), isn't the easiest of jobs, and requires quite some knowledge... Im sure there's program out there somewhere to do it for you. And lastly, microwaves reflect, so just hope that REALLY directional microwave isn't coming straight for you! lol.
And just on a side note - with just not enough power, you may be able to trigger the RADAR, not jam it lol.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

still reckon it is easier just to do the speed limit :P

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:56 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Fairmont

WA, Australia

Thanks guys for all your help, keep the ideas coming though. was thinking of a Bell but didn't know which one to get

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:13 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

The thing that Ive noticed with Radar detectors is "you get what you pay for". So really just whatever your budget allows. This applies to those lucky bastards legally allowed to own and use one (WA). As for, Ill just stick to slamming on the brakes with the slightest suspicion of a cop (including those stupid RTA utes).

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA ute, FG XR6T

NSW, Australia

Happy wrote:

Yawn :roll:

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon EGas

WA, Australia

justfordima wrote:
The problem with the microwave solution is for one the power required to power the thing (ie, get ready to buy HUGE capacitors to get any decent range), and making the waveguide (ie making it directional), isn't the easiest of jobs, and requires quite some knowledge... Im sure there's program out there somewhere to do it for you. And lastly, microwaves reflect, so just hope that REALLY directional microwave isn't coming straight for you! lol.
And just on a side note - with just not enough power, you may be able to trigger the RADAR, not jam it lol.

Cheers

Although the microwave idea is a bit of over kill, and it does use lots of power...Automatic door sensors are in the same range (K band) as radar guns. Thats why if you're driving along with a s**t detector it goes off outside of banks and servos.

These sensors arn't very expensive so you buy 2 and mount one on the front and one on the rear of your car and voila! a radar jammer!

Now that I've thought about it...hook it up to the output of your detector if you have one and then you can be sure that it will only turn on when you're being zapped.

Just because you have a jammer tho it doesn't mean that you're immune. It just gives you extra time to slow down before their signal 'punches through'.

All these solutions would be highly illegal but (no s**t).

BA Falcon Futura on EGas. Stock as...

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Blueprint EB II Fairmont 5L

WA, Australia

KTASTRPHE wrote:
Yep, legal in WA, but they can do you for obstruction of view out of your windscreen or some crap.

in answer to the original question, a lot of people use the Bel RX65 or the 990 - there was actually a thread not too long ago on here, do a search.
I use a Whistler and that is decent too.

You can get these 2 from Strathfield for $650 & $750..i got a Bel EXpress 925 brand new for only $250....i know a guy who imports them..theyre usually about $550 in the shops.....

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: MY06 REX

WA, Australia

Hey veate - does the 925 pick up multinova's? I did have one of those but it never picked up Ka for some reason, except for falses.

I imported my whistler from the US - cost me $200 for something that is $750 over here.

The Evil Strawberry

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:45 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

but does it work. I kept hearing the US uses very different systems to us, meaning a US import won't work very well (at all?) here.

Keep in mind being an easterner, I haven't spent much time researching this.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

Happy wrote:

You poof, hahaha.
I got a Bel995, in the middle of nowhere here, cops come over the hill, the turn their gun on, k band, had enough time to go from 150 down to 128, then got off cause i had fire brigade plates, hahaha, 100kms down the road, got 800m waring, cops drivin with theirs on, paid for itself already.

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Blueprint EB II Fairmont 5L

WA, Australia

KTASTRPHE wrote:
Hey veate - does the 925 pick up multinova's? I did have one of those but it never picked up Ka for some reason, except for falses.

I imported my whistler from the US - cost me $200 for something that is $750 over here.

to be honest with you ive only used it for like 2kms...the night i snapped a valve spring is the night i got it, so i dont know how good it works...but like 4 of my mates hav 1 & theres been no complaints so far...

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Mini Cooper S Supercharged

NSW, Australia

I Live out in the country and have an old Bel 845STi. Went for a lovely drive into Perth City the other day and the poor thing went haywire! As far as it was concerned, every car was a cop car and they were all out to get it!! Down in the country and around towns that arent so big, Its excellent! Great range, hardly falses and its quite loud. So I can still crank the music and hear it at the same time. The other day I got a pretty dirty look from a speed camera operator that was set up at the end of my street. He was watching me turn the volume up on it and he didnt like it when I waved to him! If you are going to buy one internationally, make sure it picks up at least K and Superwide KA Band. If it comes with others like X, It dosent Matter. Never know when you might take it to London!!

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:33 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

They are illegal. Unless you don't wanna get caught by the cops, and you will, then by all means.

The police have RDD's (Radar Detector Detectors) which are passive devices used to detect any radar sampling technology like radar detectors. Essentially it's just a 'sniffer' that can see radar frequencies being emitted from a source.

As you get closer, the better the cop's chances of spotting you and he'll throw the coffee and donuts out the window as you cruise past.

You have been warned!

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA GT

WA, Australia

not in WA!

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next