Fordmods Logo

Subs lagging. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Subs lagging.
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon EB II

VIC, Australia

hey guys im not sure of the correct word to use here, but when listning to somthing that has a pretty fast beat like say Prodigy - Voodoo People (Pendulum Remix) it seams as though the bass is lagging untill a stready beat comes up again.

not sure if i am drawing on the amp too much (its a 450watt rms monoblock powering 2 400watt rms pioneer 12's i know about the whole clipping thing i dont care much for this system as ill be upgrading it as soon as i get my lowlux 3.6l v6) or if i just need to update the sytem (mainly the head unit). any info appriciated.

oh and please do excuse the little rant it's been a long day and i have had a few to drink.

• F*** McDonalds... I'll make you go Mmmmmm...
• F*** SubWay... I'll give you a foot long

Proud owner of the 18233rd EB Falcon

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6

QLD, Australia

What sort of box are the subs in, is it the correct size?
Have you checked that the subs are in phase?

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:19 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I was told that, when the subs are played louder...it will make the sound laggy. Due to the increase in flex that the cone has to travel and the amount of repetitions. So if it is a fast beat at great volumes, then you will get lag.

Not sure if this will change if you upgrade or not...but I don't think it will.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MKII Futura

VIC, Australia

im no expert but a cap and more power to the subs should sort that out i reckon

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6

QLD, Australia

phongus wrote:
I was told that, when the subs are played louder...it will make the sound laggy. Due to the increase in flex that the cone has to travel and the amount of repetitions. So if it is a fast beat at great volumes, then you will get lag.

Not sure if this will change if you upgrade or not...but I don't think it will.

phong =P~

I have heard some interesting "facts" over the years regarding car audio but this is a first, so does this apply any sized sub, do 8's do it as much as 18's?
Typically subs these days have very stiff cones that go a long towards eliminating cone flex, unlike a normal paper coned woofer car subs have very heavy and stiff cones.

I think you will find that poor installation and/or incorrect box size/style will have more effect than cone flex.....

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:32 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL XR6

Power: 141 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I really dont think the level of volume has much to do with it at all... Its probably more noticable at higher volumes, thats y u can hear it.

I think it have more to do with the physical properties of the falcon being that the sub is quite a distance away from your ear. the time it takes for the sound to travel from the boot to drivers seat is considerable.

another reason could be that lower frequency speakers have a "group delay" which basically means that it takes longer for the sub to produce a lower frequency note (compared to a tweeter say) This may be in the order of ~20 milliseconds.

put all these factors together and things can start sounding VERY laggy.

The only way to completely fix this IMO would be to purchase a deck with a time alignment function (clarion, eclipse, alpine....), but you could also change the phase of your sub around and see if that makes a difference, not exactly rocket science but it could make that little bit of difference.

Hope this helps..

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lancer Coupe

VIC, Australia

i used to have the same problem, i worked out it was because i had the sub facing to the rear. the waves have to hit the back of the boot then reflect and come out you. I faced it to the front so i shot straight to me and didn't have the problem again. if its already facing forward then it would be your amps being underpowered.

cheers

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MKII Futura

VIC, Australia

DMac wrote:
i used to have the same problem, i worked out it was because i had the sub facing to the rear. the waves have to hit the back of the boot then reflect and come out you. I faced it to the front so i shot straight to me and didn't have the problem again. if its already facing forward then it would be your amps being underpowered.

cheers

if i had a dollar for every time someone has tried arguing with me that the system sounds better when the subs face the bootlid id be a bit wealthier than i am now.

however they would all be wrong. i hate the sound when they face that way. the only purpose for that is more wank factor as it sounds louder to those who arent in the car as you go cruising doing chaps laps.

facing the cabin they sound sick.

also i found it sounds much clearer when you have the subs on the back seat but its a little too overpowering then but has less vibration feeling and more bass in your chest feeling

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lancer Coupe

VIC, Australia

akademiks wrote:
DMac wrote:

cheers

if i had a dollar for every time someone has tried arguing with me that the system sounds better when the subs face the bootlid id be a bit wealthier than i am now.

however they would all be wrong. i hate the sound when they face that way. the only purpose for that is more wank factor as it sounds louder to those who arent in the car as you go cruising doing chaps laps.

facing the cabin they sound sick.

also i found it sounds much clearer when you have the subs on the back seat but its a little too overpowering then but has less vibration feeling and more bass in your chest feeling

i got no idea wat your on about...but i meant with the subs facing the cabin its better.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]