Would i need a Capacitor? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Would i need a Capacitor?
Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon EF Gli

VIC, Australia

Umm, just wanted to know would i need a capacitor for a stock premium sound system for the falcons EF? I'm just thinking i think ill get some kinda advantage of having a capacitor on parallel with the premium amp and if i can set something up in the boot it will look good aswell. ill maybe stick it out of the side boot lining where the amp is located.

AsIzZy

My Build Thread:
post994940.html#p994940

For Sale Thread 1
forums/viewtopic.php?t=70845&highlight=

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:51 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: fairmont ghia

QLD, Australia

I wouldnt bother, unless you have massive amps drawing alot of power, (lights dimming ...) so for a standard premium sound system it is going to do nothing...

cheers

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

No, caps are s**t.

Bigger earths, better connections and a decent battery with a healthy alternator should be more than enough for most systems, especially a stock setup.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:56 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: ED GHIA V8

NSW, Australia

Upgrade to 0 gauge cable power cable and gold battery terminals with led volt readings on them and an Optima dry cell battery and 12 gauge speaker cable to go with ur cap and ur premo stereo will reeeaaally crank after that. :shock:

Black ED Ghia
V8 with lpg
Full leather
waitng on sunroof..

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AUII Ghia 75th LE, KF 1.8S 5spd

VIC, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
No, caps are s**t.

Bigger earths, better connections and a decent battery with a healthy alternator should be more than enough for most systems, especially a stock setup.

+1 for no cap, thewy're s**t and for what you have its a real waste of money, even for high end sort of stereo's i would still be abit iffy about having one. For the resistance you get in a serious system its not worth it, you could loose around 3-4(sometimes more) db in a comp so yea dont worry about it mate, i have a fairly serious system in my car and it has no dramas with power/earths, just do it all properly mate

THE Fairmont Ghia : 75th Anniversary LE
Current Mods - 2.5" Exhaust, Custom CAI, Built Gearbox( Mirror Polished Casing+Bellhousing,TCE 2500 custom convertor, Modified Valve Body), Detailed UnderCarriage, SQ Stereo Install = 136+rwkw
http://www.aufalcon.com.au/sikford

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA XR6 5sp

VIC, Australia

My headlights dim with bass when i really crank it... but caps ive seen are $150-200, cant justify that sort of money for listening to music at a stupid volume lol

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AUII Ghia 75th LE, KF 1.8S 5spd

VIC, Australia

and thats just for cheap caps mate,if you want big beats you have to spend the money but if you want good music at normal listening vol. just stick with ya premo gear, always good to add some bass n what not too. just a thought, get a sub that gives ya a bit more kick n maybe just upgrade the front stage a bit.

THE Fairmont Ghia : 75th Anniversary LE
Current Mods - 2.5" Exhaust, Custom CAI, Built Gearbox( Mirror Polished Casing+Bellhousing,TCE 2500 custom convertor, Modified Valve Body), Detailed UnderCarriage, SQ Stereo Install = 136+rwkw
http://www.aufalcon.com.au/sikford

Post subject: Re: Would i need a Capacitor?
Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6

QLD, Australia

asizzy wrote:
Umm, just wanted to know would i need a capacitor for a stock premium sound system for the falcons EF? I'm just thinking i think ill get some kinda advantage of having a capacitor on parallel with the premium amp and if i can set something up in the boot it will look good aswell. ill maybe stick it out of the side boot lining where the amp is located.

Umm basically NO they do very little especially for the price for a decent one and the cheap ones aren't worth anything to your system..

Don't waste your money....

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

you need a flux capacitor!

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Post subject: .
Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:54 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EF Futura

NSW, Australia

u need a capacitor wen u got a stereo like mine....and yes i need 1 cos im drawing some massive power...KILLED my battery in 5mins without the car on. WILL NOT START with that battery...its completly fried.

EF futura in the build.
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/ef-futur ... 70086.htmlImage

wtb:ef fairmont bonnet,lights & a set of ssl springs

Post subject: Re: .
Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: xr6

QLD, Australia

GTO13F wrote:
u need a capacitor wen u got a stereo like mine....and yes i need 1 cos im drawing some massive power...KILLED my battery in 5mins without the car on. WILL NOT START with that battery...its completly fried.

Thats funny......

eye donet fink a kap wil ficks ure problems.......

Do it once, Do it right!!!!!!

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon EF Gli

VIC, Australia

cooki_monsta wrote:

Whats a Flux Cap?? never heard of that before.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think ill get some good Battery Terminals like those Stinger ones with the volt readings, They look awsome how many you guys have em? and also i have todo a good job on groundings and all the connections then too. So basically you only need caps when you gonna goto the Extreme Sound Systems with two subs and two or more amps or monoblocks then aye?

AsIzZy

My Build Thread:
post994940.html#p994940

For Sale Thread 1
forums/viewtopic.php?t=70845&highlight=

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

asizzy wrote:
cooki_monsta wrote:

Whats a Flux Cap?? never heard of that before.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think ill get some good Battery Terminals like those Stinger ones with the volt readings, They look awsome how many you guys have em? and also i have todo a good job on groundings and all the connections then too. So basically you only need caps when you gonna goto the Extreme Sound Systems with two subs and two or more amps or monoblocks then aye?

hehe mate the flux capacitor (1.21 jigawatts) was some back to the future inspiration hehe.....aside from jokes though...

In all seriousness for your current setup I wouldn't worry about any form of capacitors at all....as for battery terminal with voltage/amperage read outs....this is simply cosmetic and you will pay for the looks. If you do want some snazzy terminals then the stinger ones are the bees knees and do look great...have two sets myself..however ensuring any terminal has plenty of contact with the battery posts as in not covered in acid or grease or anything else you might find on batteries...

As with grounding just make sure you have clean contact from your ground(negative) amp/battery etc wires to where ever you decide to mount them....if its to the chasis or body of the car make sure you file back any paint so there is clean metal to metal contact between the grund terminal and the vehicle body. Next important note is to ensure the ground/negative cables MUST ALWAYS BE SHORTER OR EQUIVALENT LENGTH then there respective power/positive cable run....so the amps negative cable must always be shorter or equal to the amps power cable length....the negative/ground cable should also always be of equal or great size...if the batteries positive/power cable is 4 guage (4GA/4ga) then the negative must be at minimum 4 guage....the lower the guage number the thicker the cable(thus more current carry capacity).

To help with headlight dimming or issues with speakers/ampers being underpowered etc just ensure you use adequeate size wire, decent battery/batteries, keep cable runs to a minimum, ensure clean grounds and dont overload the system...eg: no $40 battery and then try to run 4x subs and 8x amps etc...

If you have any queries on any of the above shoot me a pm or there are plenty of knowledgeable guys on the forum happy to assist.

P.S caps are worth there money and benefiical if installed appropriately where they can be properly utilised. Noticable gains will be shown when used in high current demand installations espescially with high current draw short bursts as used in competition SPL systems...more importantly if you have invested alot of $$$ on batteries this will assist in ensuring their longetivity and also maintain healthy voltage flow to other connected equipment and improve their lifespan....not necessarily for gains in SPL read outs as most assume this is what they are for.

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]