Advise on Panel & Paint up and going again 

Page 1 of 14 [ 196 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

Post subject: Advise on Panel & Paint up and going again
Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:51 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

Hi there i would like to introduce myself to all at formods my name is nathan i am a panel beater by trade and after many years working on the floor doing everything from major smash repairs to full ground up rebuilds and restorations i now have my butt seated in a chair quoting and dealing with the other side of the industry.for the last six years i have been running a large repair shop on the gold coast and six months ago made the move to one of brisbanes best prestige repairers.www.shipstone.com.au.i would like to offer all at fordmods my experience and knowlege if i cant answer i can certainly get the correct answer from my various resources.if there are any questions or problems on bodywork smash repairs or the insurance side of things please ask i think waggin is put this up as a sticky.if you go to my user gallery you will see some of the work i have done.i look forward to talking to all

efII wgn xr front xr ecu 17s filter pacemakers highflow cat & 2.5 manual conversion
THERE IS NO TIME FOR PATIENCE

Last edited by nlbxr6 on Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:58 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

yay im first.....how much does it usually cost to get a small dent from drivers side front arch wheel? my friend drove into it at about 5km and yeah left a dent. oh and my paint at the moment is sparkling burgundy and i want to paint the whole car black.......would it be cheaper to get it respray painted just black (gloss) or respray it the same colour....i think it is two-pack paint at the moment and it is keyed deep on both sides of the car from front to back.....looks ugly =(

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Post subject: .
Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:34 am 
Technical Contributor

QLD, Australia

it is always going to be cheaper to respray the same colour as you dont have to do inside doors engine bay etc the front guard damage depends on how far back the dent is because if you need to blend the colour into the door you start get more expensive also if the paint is not broken you could try a paintless dent removal company panel repairs will vary in price from shop to shop remember cheap isnt always best. for minor repairs around 180 per panel for paint 90 for a blend then you have remove & replace items repair time plus gst for a respray expect between 5000 & 10000 depending on colour & quality if your car is insured you can claim malicious damage for the key scratches

efII wgn xr front xr ecu 17s filter pacemakers highflow cat & 2.5 manual conversion

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:41 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Fairlane

NSW, Australia

hmmm. just for a refeerence before i go out and get some prices, how much would it cost for a full respray of a NL fairlane. staying the same colour (dark blue), will need a few dents pulled out (2, only small)

i would just like a rough idea on what to expect the prices to be, when i get it done.

cheers

BEN

The Lane Lives.... Finally!!!!

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:31 pm 
Technical Contributor

QLD, Australia

look at between 5000 & 10000 depending on size of shop and quality of job they do ask to have a look at other jobs they have done and ask around your local area who is good and who isnt.many people dont know but depending on paint brands there is up to 3500 in materials alone also ask what brand of paint they use cheaper products mean cheaper job but also it wont look as good for as long.price will also depend on condition of old paint and to the pro they might see quite a few more dents than most so always tell them what sort of finished product you are looking for
I should also add you must take into cosideration if they need to supply new front screen {almost definatly}new rear and qtr glasses if they damage or break getting them out and the protector moulds upon removal the chrome tends to crinkle and for some reason ford use super strength double sided tape and if moulds arnt replaced have a habit of falling off

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

when respraying what causes acrylic paint and clear top coat to come out almost like fur? or is it just my gun? and welcome to the forums nathan

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:39 pm 
Technical Contributor

QLD, Australia

could be a coulpe of things first is outside temp is too hot second is the ratio that you have thinned the paint down acrylic is air dry so to much temp or not enough thinners will mean it is drying before hitting the panel try thinning a bit more it should be almost as thin as water make sure you use decent quality gun and it is clean if the fan is not uniform this is a good indication that the tip is dirty

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:54 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

i got meself an air compressor on the weekend so i can do small jobs to practice ,coz ima 1st year apprentice ,anyways i seem to be gettin water in the air line whenever i spray and the water ends up on the job creating a sh*t splattered finish . Is there anything i can buy to stop this from happening??

thanks bats

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:02 am 
Technical Contributor

QLD, Australia

bats wrote:
i got meself an air compressor on the weekend so i can do small jobs to practice ,coz ima 1st year apprentice ,anyways i seem to be gettin water in the air line whenever i spray and the water ends up on the job creating a sh*t splattered finish . Is there anything i can buy to stop this from happening??

thanks bats

get yourself a good regulator with water trap make sure you drain it and the compressor regularly if you are going to be doing a fair bit of work invest in an external air drying unit the other option is to leave the drain in the bottom of the compressor open just a little to allow any water that does build up to escape also have two air lines one for any sanding etc and one just for painting that way less there is less chance of water & oil infecting your job good luck our trade is suffering a shotage of good tradesman and if you turn out a good one you can just about ask your own money

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:54 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: NF Fairlane [BLUBEL]

VIC, Australia

My wagon.

Black.

Now.

How much?

:P

Welcome to fordmods!! :lol:

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

amber ill make it black for u ;) just lend me the keys :P and ill charge hmmm 500? *thinks of how to get into wonthaggie coal mine*

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:34 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

thanks heaps man :D , ill hav to look around for one next week, more questions should be on there way in the near future lol

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:44 pm 
Technical Contributor

QLD, Australia

Amber wrote:
My wagon.

Black.

Now.

How much?

:P

Welcome to fordmods!! :lol:

if you have a read of the reply i left for castle grey skull a couple of post above i give a round about figure and go into detail of glass & moulds etc average respray with one person doing job will take around two to three weeks depending on how many repairs etc so work out say 80 hours @ 35 per hour plus materials{up to 3500}plus glass r&r or new if they break and remember for a shop to make any money they have to do the job in half the quoted hours because of the pittifull rate{you cant make money when you charge 30-35 and pay a tradesman 20-25} so look between 5000 &10000 then if you want pearls & candies add more if you go to my gallery the candy gts was perfect but still cost him 15000 i did a cheapie for a mate a couple of months ago on his r33 still cost him 3000 with some contra work fe had to do for me best bet is find a beater or painter who needs something you have to offer
and amber wagons rule
just a suggestion why go black choose a colour similar to the red on your car but tint it around a bit darker and throw some gold pearl or xirelic pearl{all different colours} in it so you dont have the expense of inside the doors & jambs & engine bay

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:57 pm 
Technical Contributor

QLD, Australia

cooki_monsta wrote:
amber ill make it black for u ;) just lend me the keys :P and ill charge hmmm 500? *thinks of how to get into wonthaggie coal mine*

let me know how it turns out i might get you to do mine yet i been too busy and prob lazy but i dont want black too hot up here for that

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:58 pm 
Technical Contributor

QLD, Australia

bats wrote:
thanks heaps man :D , ill hav to look around for one next week, more questions should be on there way in the near future lol

ask your paint rep or local compressor supplier see whats around

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 14  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next