Fordmods Logo

Aftermarket "Ford" wheel experiences 

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Aftermarket "Ford" wheel experiences
Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:08 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

ive got 18" cobra copies aswell, had them just over a year, and i had walloped a medium strip at about 90kmh and no buckles or crackes, but did distroy a tire...

Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Ghia 5.0

SA, Australia

I was recently talking to guy who worked in management at an Adelaide wheel manufacturer. I can't recall which one, but he was commenting on the BA XR8 18 inch copies on my car. I mentioned being worried about the quality of the wheels and he said that they had been developed and tested to the same standards as any other factory or aftermarket wheels they produce. That made me feel better.

I don't know how you guys are destroying so many wheels? Time to cut down on the rough driving maybe? :? I've had my 18s on for over two years and they still look perfect, pothole hits as well. I regularly clean the brake dust off and the finish still looks like new.

Mike

EF Ghia 5.0 - XR8 in a tuxedo....classy, low and loud

Bordeaux Purple, Tickford kit, slammed, 18" BA XR8's, EL Ghia chrome, full leather, Pioneer audio, C&C, ABS, LSD, Crane cam, GT40P heads, high flow cats, Genie extractors, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights!

Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

madeaspack wrote:
ive got 19" dark agent copy's off ebay,that were 990,my brother in law has 19" dark agents from a different seller,they are slightly different to mine,my boss has 18" ba gtp mk2 copy's of ebay and ive got a mate with 18" typhoon copy's off ebay. all of them were $900-1000 all of them balanced up well and none of us have had a problem.My boss has had his on the work ute for 2+years.
i say they're fine,but its personal preferance really

It's Dark ARGENT not Dark Agent!

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I think mine are Alan Jones Racing wheels...

I thought the lighter the wheel the better the quality of the material they were made from... Mine when shipped weighed in at 25kg each with a tyre... I picked up some cheap speedy's in an 18" and by god they were massively heavy for a wheel that appears to have a similar amount of material...

As far as I'm aware None are buckled... Not real sure if there were all balanced right (some bone heads in the tyre shops here)... Almost due for new tyres so will see if they balance them properly this time around

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:34 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

V8 Ghia Mike wrote:
I was recently talking to guy who worked in management at an Adelaide wheel manufacturer. I can't recall which one, but he was commenting on the BA XR8 18 inch copies on my car. I mentioned being worried about the quality of the wheels and he said that they had been developed and tested to the same standards as any other factory or aftermarket wheels they produce. That made me feel better.

This manufacturer wouldnt be ROH would it?

I would expect there would be a questionable difference between rims made and designed in Australia compared to some dodgy backyard joint in Thailand, Korea or China.

V8 Ghia Mike wrote:
I don't know how you guys are destroying so many wheels? Time to cut down on the rough driving maybe? :? I've had my 18s on for over two years and they still look perfect, pothole hits as well. I regularly clean the brake dust off and the finish still looks like new.

Therein lies the difference between you and me. You have 18's... And the last time I drove on an Adelaide road, I didn't run across any potholes big enough to sink a ship in... As is commonplace in Melbourne and Sydney.

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

arm79 wrote:
Waggen wrote:
I have an aftermarket set of the GTP series 2's and all 4 have been repaired twice, as said.. low profile tires and s**t roads will destroy any wheel, unless they are some hectic 100spoke wires..

If you ever take one off, whats the chances of you weighing it for me. I'd be interested in knowing how much metal is missing.

I think my current rims weigh 28kg per corner.

I remember my genuine EL GT rims weighed in at 29KG-ish per rim. And an aftermarket copy with the same tire weighed in at 21kg. 8kg of metal is alot of strength.

haha yeah, didn't think there would be much of a difference, but they weigh in at 15-16kgs are you sure the factory ones weigh 28kg? because that is a massive massive difference...

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:35 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

That 28kg is with the tire, not just the rim.

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

ah, well that doesn't really help as every tire would weigh slightly different, i have 235/35 semi slicks on the front and 255/45's on the back

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2