Fordmods Logo

EL XR6 headlight lens replacement? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: EL XR6 headlight lens replacement?
Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:05 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon

VIC, Australia

I recently bought a set of EL XR6 headlights off ebay, thought I was getting a bargain, both sides for $200, one with a stonechipped high beam. Which was fine because my low beam has a stonechip and I was just going to swap it in. But the guy didnt even bubble wrap them, just put them in a cardboard box with a car washing sponge and sent them with AUSpost, so now there are one less set of EL XR6 headlights intact.

However when I looked at it closely I noticed its just the glass cover over the projector that is broken. The same cover that has the light disppersement shapes in it for convenetional headlight. As I am running HIDs I have always been a bit iffy about these and thought this might be my oppurtunity to fix the problem.

Is there any way to retrofit a clear lens cover over the projector. From the look of it there is just a simple lip to hold it in place. the diameter is 4.5" and I am sure there must be somewhere that stocks them. TRS have them up to 3" diameter.

Any help would be really appreciated as I have no idea where to look!

Post subject: Re: EL XR6 headlight lens replacement?
Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Its something I would be very very interetsed in looking into as well.
Maybe hit Hella up?

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:57 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

I think Twinlights have aftermarket lamps that look similar - probably pricey though.
I got replacement HID projectors that I intended to completely replace the halogen ones.

A perspex cover might be your best bet.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Where you say TRS only have 3 inch clear lenses they are referring to the lens on the projector .You may be able to replace the lens with a clear lens off a 113 mm or 4.5 inch hella high beam lens as they are normally clear or any other semi sealed high beam in that size .As for hids halogen projectors are much longer and a different set up to HID projectors.Im currently waiting for a set of hid projectors to arrive to install in a set of these lights.

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:37 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

I sent Hella and email, hopefully I will hear back from them tomorrow, good thinking with the high beam lens, hopfuelly they have somehing compatibleish. I went on the TRS website again last night after I posted this and noticed that they are the actual projecter lens, I was going to send them an email asking if they could get bigger ones.

If I can't work out an easy fix for a clear lens, I am thinking of doing the same thing and using the broken low beam as a practice to retrofit a proper HID projector is, always wanted to do that to my car. Been holding to see how the S2K-R kit goes, should be very interesting to see

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:55 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Both the FXR and mini H1 projectors have the same 2.5 inch lens as the original projector but the mini H1 is an easier fit where the fxr is 10mm bigger than the plastic case that the original projector sits in

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

When I eventually get my a** in to gear, I'm going to try to make perspex replacement lenses for these. Obviously they would only be clear, but it's better than nothing. I have one unbroken lens to use as a mold.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:08 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the advice guys, maybe I should get my a** into gear sooner than I thought! I would definately be interested in a set of perspex lenses, so if you end up doing them consider a set boought

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]