Fordmods Logo

fire proof fire wall stuff ?? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: fire proof fire wall stuff ??
Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 96 EL XR6

QLD, Australia

Hi all, sorry if this isnt the correct place to post this but wasnt sure where to post it lol.
Haha im sorry but not sure what to call it lol, but the fire proof puffy crap thats covering the firewall in the engine bay, that makes me ichy every time i put my hand on it due to it being torn etc lol, :? can i remove it all without having the engine out and taking the brake booster etc out? Or do i have to remove them? I was just going to start attacking it with a razor blade and getting it out in like 3 or 4 pieces, :roll: (if i get it out it wont ever be going back in lol)

Cheers everyone :)

EL XR6, T5 Speed - Full Factory Fitted Tickford Body Kit, AU Engine, Billet Camtech 845 Cam, J3 Chip, MLS Gasket, Intake, Extractors, High flow cat, 2 1/2in exhaust, K&N Air Filter, 3.45 LSD, - My Pride and Joy

Post subject: Re: fire proof fire wall stuff ??
Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:46 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

See my build thread in my sig...

I removed my ED one when I put the AU motor in just recently...

There is about 4 threaded things that stick out from the firewall with those internal clip clips that press down onto the studs to hold it there (on ED anyway) and they were a b**ch to get off with the motor out... So may have to attach at those as best to can... Just at the start of the tunnel there was bracket which bolted up and held it right at the bottom... That would be near impossible to remove with the gear box in... The booster holds it in... On the ED the handbrake cover holds it in... May have been a couple of other things...

In the short... I'm glad its gone... It was just a right royal PITA... And it was all cracked because the ED one is rubber...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yeah, right.. looks soo much neater with it gone too, ill have a look when im lookin at the car again lol, may have to wait till i decide to do the T5 conversion :roll: it would be nice to get rid of it, makes abit more room to access top bellhousing bolts etc too.. thanks for the info Tim :)

EL XR6, T5 Speed - Full Factory Fitted Tickford Body Kit, AU Engine, Billet Camtech 845 Cam, J3 Chip, MLS Gasket, Intake, Extractors, High flow cat, 2 1/2in exhaust, K&N Air Filter, 3.45 LSD, - My Pride and Joy

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Just an update.

Got it sorted, took me about 30 mins and some fun with a razor blade, but in the end i got it out :) without removing anything but the intake tube, i ended up leaving the part in the tunnel and just chopped it flush with the firewall, ill remove it when i drop the box for my T5 to go in :twisted:

Very happy with how it all went and now looks great :D cheers

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:18 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Excellent...

You may as well upload a photo... Someone else may find this thread one day and it may help them...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Ill upload one in abit, ive only got an after shot tho unfortunately, i got abit excited and didnt think to take a before one.. :lol:

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

sorry guys, been flat out :? heres some pics that I said I would upload, I don't have any before photos because I got abit carried away :oops: :D so heres some after ones:

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

mind the Extractors.. I bought them brand new and came with matt black "1000degree celcius" paint...

10 mins after starting the car they went like that.. yet to pull them off and paint them myself..

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]