Fordmods Logo

fitting xr-6 lights to a fairmont ??? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: fitting xr-6 lights to a fairmont ???
Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:51 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Or you could have a go similar to what this guy is doing:
exterior-modifications-f15/el-fairmont-hid-retrofit-t79728.html
If you hunt around, you should be able to get parts considerably cheaper than a twinlight or XR conversion.

Can give you something unique, and most people won't try it due to the work involved.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:09 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

from my understanding EF/EL XR lights are the same as ED ones... I thought all EF and EL lights were crap as they are only like 3 or 4 inches high? my ED XR ones are great, although I've never tried them with normal bulbs but 35W HID are pretty good and light up the road nicely... although I've never adjusted them as yet and am probably lacking a bit there... but other than theat they seem pretty good...

I was gonna buy some ED twinlights off that guy and he said to me that his lights were as good as the genuine ford projectors so I went for genuine conversion...

look at this page: http://www.twinlight.com.au/twinlightsp ... .htm#ED_XR

and you see genuine replacement low beams are $168ea and highs are $152 whereby the bulbs he uses in his are $27.50ea for both high and low... so from that, I guess that genuine bulbs would be much better...

however...

at least for the EL twinlights you can get them in projector... showing $172 and $135 for low and high beams respectively... so you guys might be better off going that way...

up to owner I guess... some like the look with compromised light output (probably not all that important if you rarely travel outside of well lit up towns) or then you get those who don't care how the car looks and have dirty great big bull bars with lights hanging off them everywhere...

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Blue and White Mercedes

NSW, Australia

One more pic of the twinlights...

Each of the 4 beams can be adjusted individually. My high beams are pointed so that I have a narrow long beam 8-)
As has been said before, These still use regular blinkers, so it would be cheaper to replace if anything should go wrong.

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The Genuine Headlights for XR's are still available and are pricey, $427.00 ea retail, $275.00 each retail for the Flasher lamps, $121.00 ea for the harnesses to fit the XR lights, they connect to your existing harness, EL XR b/bar $875.00... :shock: over $2000.00 Plus a bonnet $947.00 bugger :roll:

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:56 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

wow thats dear...

I couldn't find cheap indicators for my ED in the end that were in good nick... So bought some nice new shiny ones off ebay and modified them to take a parker... not bad for 70 or 80 bucks... when a pair of genuines that are cracked or faded go for well over $100...

Might sell off my genuines now and make some money...

I have made quite a collection of spares... purchasing lights cheap and brackets cheap... No way I'd pay that for looms when you could make them yourself with all the proper plugs for maybe $20 each in parts... Only thing I wouldn't mind another spare of is an immaculate grill for an ED...

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2