Fordmods Logo

HID headlights 

Page 11 of 42 [ 628 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 42  Next

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I can supply them for about $120 each.

Attachments:
File comment: Aftermarket EF Headlight
ef-hl.jpg
ef-hl.jpg [ 20.2 KiB | Viewed 147 times ]

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 98 DL LTD | 71 XY

WA, Australia

I'd be happy with that.. Fairmont ones are avalible yeah? and do they come with globes etc

RIP Scotty
Still Doin It For Ya Mate

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:45 pm 
Site Admin

NSW, Australia

Those ones are listed as EF, Doesnt Fit Fairmont.

I can make some enquiries

I dont think they come with bulbs, just use existing and/or purchase HID's :)

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Yeah if you could let me know about the fairmont ones that'd be cool. I was gonna sand my headlights back again and depending on how well that goes ill have to see.

RIP Scotty

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:04 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

The flasher will not effect the HID Xenon bulbs.
If you have a single Xenon bulb, well there is only one function, depending how you have connected them it will be either Hi or Lo.
If you have a Bi-Xenon bulb the flasher should ONLY turn the High Beam which is a tinted Halogen bulb on / off.
Of course in the newer vehicles i.e. BA when you flash high beam, then the Lo filament on the H4 bulb, in the main reflector, is turned off, the Hi is turned on together with the second reflector which is a H7 and works only as Hi beam.

The best result (for me the ONLY alternative) is to retrofit a Projector to your Hi/Lo reflector and MAKE SURE you cut a correct Pattern Reducer Plate to install in middle of the reflector and Magnifier. You probably need to play with this for a while to get the correct beam pattern. It took some few hours for me to get the perfect beam pattern on my Retrofitted Projectors.
I used a BMW 5 series Projector, with 4800 K D2R Xenon bulbs with smart EMAS control system, so I can get a real Xenon Hi/Lo when I use the flasher.

Have fun,
mavs19

Have fun,
mavs19

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

thats mad finally i've found others with a great inerest to see well at nyt

RIP Scotty

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU II

NSW, Australia

a mate of mine imports HID Xenon conversion kits (top quality) and wholesales them to a number of performance shops... I'll point him to this thread and perhaps he could work out a deal for group buys, etc if anyone is interested... might save a few dollars..

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:29 pm 
Site Admin

NSW, Australia

Just heard back.. The Fairmont headlights are still under copyright with Ford and not available as an aftermarket product *shrug*

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:30 pm 
Site Admin

NSW, Australia

mavs19 wrote:
The flasher will not effect the HID Xenon bulbs.
If you have a single Xenon bulb, well there is only one function, depending how you have connected them it will be either Hi or Lo.
If you have a Bi-Xenon bulb the flasher should ONLY turn the High Beam which is a tinted Halogen bulb on / off.
Of course in the newer vehicles i.e. BA when you flash high beam, then the Lo filament on the H4 bulb, in the main reflector, is turned off, the Hi is turned on together with the second reflector which is a H7 and works only as Hi beam.

The best result (for me the ONLY alternative) is to retrofit a Projector to your Hi/Lo reflector and MAKE SURE you cut a correct Pattern Reducer Plate to install in middle of the reflector and Magnifier. You probably need to play with this for a while to get the correct beam pattern. It took some few hours for me to get the perfect beam pattern on my Retrofitted Projectors.
I used a BMW 5 series Projector, with 4800 K D2R Xenon bulbs with smart EMAS control system, so I can get a real Xenon Hi/Lo when I use the flasher.

Have fun,
mavs19

My High beam are single H3's, and Low are single H1 projector :)

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

How can they copyright the fairmonts and the the Gli/futura ?! :roll:

I may be interested in a group buy, I've been watching ebay for a bargain :)

ImageImage

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:07 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Waggin,
In that case you obviously fall under the first category.
"If you have a single Xenon bulb, well there is only one function, depending how you have connected them it will be either Hi or Lo. ".

MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT HID Bulbs etc.

There are many companies and private merchants out there that will advertise 7000K, 8000K, and even 12000K HID kits. Most of these vendors lurk around on eBay, online car forums, websites, and ricer accessory shops. Most of these people don’t know much about the product, THEY JUST sell them. Ask a couple of semi intelligent questions and you will soon find out.

100% of the people that buy these kits do so because they are uninformed or misguided in the field of lighting, and will buy these junk kits thinking three things:
1- that these bulbs are brighter,
2- that these bulbs should cost more money,
3- that they will perform better.

All three statements are COMPLETELT FALSE. Perhaps this misconception and frenzy for purple lights originates from BMW and Audi's infamous Hella projector HIDs.
So here is a the real truth of the matter...
Philips is the number one manufacturer of HID bulbs. The Philips OEM D2S bulb is rated at 4100K at 12.8 volts and produces 3200 lumens of light.
The Philips Ultinon D2S is 5800K at 12.8 volts and produces 2400 lumens of light.
As you can see, with all other factors remaining constant, the brightness of an HID bulb declines the higher up the colour index you go.
One of the Korean bulb manufacturer, makes a 8000K bulb, which they used to advertise on eBay and Forums as 2000 lumens bright.
This is barely a marked improvement over halogens, and will produce more glare and eye fatigue than it is beneficial.
4100K has been proven through tireless independent research by the Germans, Japanese, and Americans to be the most functional, truest white and thus the brightest possible colour temperature
Every car manufacturer in the world (including BMW, MB and Audi) uses none other than a standard 4100K gas-discharge bulb.
No exceptions. The reason being is that 4100K is daylight white in colour and produces the same colour visible light as direct sunlight.
This is least fatiguing functional colour on the eyes and produces the most comfortable contrast on the road.

So, beware.

Have fun,
mavs19

Have fun,
mavs19

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:53 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 1996 EF Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

are the phillips globes a good cheaper option. do they look blue/white?

1996 EF Fairmont Ghia
- 2.5'' mandrel bent exhaust
- Au xr8 air intake snorkel
- Tinted windows
- Two way electric sunroof

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:55 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairlane

QLD, Australia

Highly illuminating! no pun intended! It is always a joy to listen to someone who really does know of what they speak.
Thanks for the information, I will be able to use it beat my eldest boy about the head with! - suzuki swift, yada yada, rice, rice.
Thanks mavs19.

"Do you know what nemesis means? The righteous manifestation of an appropriate agent of retribution, in this case, a horrible C***, me!"

Now lowered with Lovells/Koni!

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:40 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

HID bulbs come in two common standards today known as: D2S and D2R. D2S uses the D2 base and a clear, naked bulb. D2R uses the same D2 base and a bulb with a metallic strip along one edge to combat unwanted glare in the reflector headlamp.

So in OEM HID applications D2R is used in reflector-type HID assemblies whereas D2S is used in projector-type assemblies.

When you're purchasing an HID kit, you want to go with a D2S bulb because it emits slightly more light than the D2R.

As far as colour selection goes, there are two main colour temperatures out there: 4100 Kelvin, which is OEM colour, and 6000 Kelvin, which is aftermarket colour.

There is no reason for buying anything other than 4100K OEM.

However, some people like blue light and are willing to pay extra money for extra blueness and less brightness…..thus the 6000K and above market.

I'm sure the reason isn't because people like to see everything on the road in “bluescaleâ€￾, but because they want their headlights to appear blue to onlookers.

Their resoning: "It looks cool"...... At the same time some of these guys wing about Neon…..Hah.

The safest, most dependable bulb manufacturers to go with are quite simply Philips and Osram-Sylvania. . Both are incredibly reliable brands though.
Even the Japanese cars that use Japanese ballasts and Japanese projectors will still use German bulbs. Philips and Osram bulbs have a lifespan of between 2000-2500 hours (the longest in production).
Studies have shown that the average "alternative" Taiwanese and Korean-made bulbs last as little as 176 hours or so.
This is largely due to massive defects attributed to poor manufacturing technique, workmanship, quality control, and distribution channels.
These other smaller companies simply lack the major R&D money needed.

So, Why do BMW & Audi lights appear blue when they use a white bulb?
Well, this coloration is the result of the light projectors; the lenses: it's curvature, the tiny grooves etched into it; the projector assembly, the shield, and the reflector bowl.

On the Audi and BMW projectors, the lens curvature at the edge bends the white light producing a "prism effect".
White light is broken down to it's fundamental colours.
Since blue lights is high energy, it is absorbed last and thus travels f@rt.
So with this prism effect, you'll notice that BMW HIDs are only purple and blue from the sides, the top, and the bottom edges, but are always daylight white on the road and in the beam pattern.

Trying to emulate this colour-flickering effect with a solid-state blue or purple bulb is only detrimental to lighting performance, it doesn't fool anyone, but most importantly it endangers other motorists around you.

A blue HID bulb will produce colour bleed around the headlight, around the objects it lights up, outside of the beam pattern, and around the cut off line. This is effect is known as "glare".

I am sure this is illegal. Also improperly installed HID kits are the major reason why HIDs will get a bad wrap. Another chaper to this saga.

I am not sure of the cost of Phillips bulbs, but, you could call a local reputable spare parts or car electrical outlet.

Have fun,
mavs19

Have fun,
mavs19

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Territory TX AWD & AUII XLS EGAS

NSW, Australia

I had a lookk at pics of the D2R and D2S globes ... and mine looks identical to the D2R with the metallic shield strip alogn the bottom edge of the globe ... suited to fit in the H4 socket.

The shield is V-shaped

04 Territory TX AWD - Winter White - optioned up
06 Falcon BFII XLS ute EGAS - Winter White - EGA-54D Version 2

Sort by  
 Page 11 of 42  [ 628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 42  Next