Fordmods Logo

HID headlights 

Page 12 of 42 [ 628 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 42  Next

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:43 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Mechan1k wrote:
I had a lookk at pics of the D2R and D2S globes ... and mine looks identical to the D2R with the metallic shield strip alogn the bottom edge of the globe ... suited to fit in the H4 socket.

The shield is V-shaped
The bulb type and the fittings type are 2 different issues.
The reason being, the original type of Projector Reflectors used for these bulbs by BMW and MB.
Later on when the After Market bulbs were released in the market, different smaller manufacturers use either D2R or D2S. This is mainly due to the cost factor. The cost of buying the initial machines for the manufacturing of the 2 types of Xenon bulbs.

Have fun,
mavs19

Have fun,
mavs19

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

can u even buy a ford with xenon or bi xenon lights? i havent seen any.

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:57 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

fordgt290 wrote:
can u even buy a ford with xenon or bi xenon lights? i havent seen any.

Yes you can, but only in the US and European markets.

Have fun,
mavs19

Have fun,
mavs19

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

yeah i meant australian makes but didnt think u could. i love xenons they are so good especially in the Bmw 5 series iv been driving with active headlights that turn into corners. shouldnt be long before falcons get them i guess. are expensive though $450 for the xenon globe.

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:16 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

The only Falcon/s I am aware of with a proper Projector Xenon HID set up on the roads in Au, is the one I am driving. Which is an experimental set up.
The Projector and the Xenon bulbs, discharge etc. all come from a BMW 5 series.

I don't think that Ford Au will ever release Falcons with a complete headlight set up like BMW. It would make the car too expensive.
Maybe as an optional accessory.
However, as set of projector Xenon HID on a Falcon Next Generation would not surprise me too much.
It looks like that there is a race between Ford and Holden, to see who gets the first Projector HID out first.
Rumours are that a company in Perth also Hella Australia are experimenting with Headlight Assys fitted (at the moment retrofitted) with a Projector Xenon HID set ups.
So let's see who is the first to release their New

Have fun,
mavs19

Have fun,
mavs19

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Territory TX AWD & AUII XLS EGAS

NSW, Australia

Well so far Holden has beaten Ford to the Projector headlight as it is ... it's not too much fiddling to fit the HID into production at all.

I can't wait till i get time to open my headlights up and mount a projector in the AU headlights so i can put the HID globe behind it.

04 Territory TX AWD - Winter White - optioned up
06 Falcon BFII XLS ute EGAS - Winter White - EGA-54D Version 2

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:32 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Mechan1k,

If you are going to retrofit Projectors, then you will have to abide by the fitting installed by the manufacturer in the projector in question.
Anyhow, if you don’t like the fitting, say if the projectors are housing a H1 and you want to have, H4s you need to get a conversion plate.

The focal point is already decided by the manufacturers of the projectors.
It is fine tuned to the reflector, the bulb, the lens and the distance between the lens and the housing.
So you don’t need to do or change anything there. Just keep it standard.
All (by all I mean the few days you need to spend, planning and thinking before you start doing anything to the headlight units etc…) you have to do is: remove the headlight assy , remove the glass (Be very, very careful), if need be remove the exsecting reflector, cut a round hole (large enough to fit the projector, well at least the portion of it that fits in the housing behind the glass) then insert the Xenon bulb connect to the discharge unit, test run.
If it works and the light pattern is perfect then glue back the glass and re-assemble the headlight unit.

I may even reveal a trick or two about retrofitting and how to get a perfect beam pattern etc……

By the way, What type of reflector do you have? Are they Parabolic or Ellipsoidal?
What type of bulb fitting in the projectors?
Can you send me a picture?

I would rather have this post and rest of this communication in the HID thread so everyone else can follow it. Is OK with you?
As mentioned Pic in this thread.
Have fun,
mavs19

Have fun,
mavs19

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Nice indeed.

I will be speaking with Fuzion ... as he can get the Mazda6 projectors ... and I'll have a look at my Fiancee's Brother's Mazda6 and see what factory globes they use.

Interesting about the conversion plate though ... I might be able to use the H4 globe.

I still need to look at what's causing my system to stay on low beam as well (I have been meaning to work on this to show you too).

I know i have to be careful with the headlight housing .... will be getting some help here.

I have the aftermarket headlight from ozeparts for the AU headlight ... looks more like a parabolic headlight than the Ellipsoidal

Sorry about the .gif ... only way to post a pic of it up here.

I want to mount the projector so that I can still use my up/down adjustor on the back of my headlight so i still have some adjustment available.

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:20 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

The projectors are being mounted in the same place as the original reflectors.
So, all your adjustments are going to be intact.

Projectors are going to be mounted in centre of the original main reflector.
Whether you secede to keep the original reflectors or get rid of them is up to you. You will find out as soon as you have cut the hole for the projectors, if you can keep them or must get rid of them.

My question “What type of reflector do you have? Are they Parabolic or Ellipsoidal?â€￾
Was in regards to the projectors not the headlight assy.
The shape of the projector reflectors decide the type of bulb you can use.
D2R = Parabolic
D2S = Ellipsoidal.

The reason most (for exception of a handful) people can’t get their After Market HID Xenon Kits working properly and they have problem with getting the correct pattern and get glare is due to wrong choice of bulb.

If you look at each original reflector and the type of Halogen bulb being used with that specific reflector. You start understanding that each reflector has been carefully tuned and adjusted to the bulb in question.

What happens if you insert a H1 in a H3 reflector??
The beam pattern will be altered due to the changes made by the length difference between H1 and H3 bulbs. The focal centre of the reflector / H3 will be changed and since H1 is longer you will not have any focal point at all.

Looking at Halogen vs. HID Xenon bulbs supplied with the kits, you will see that all Halogen bulbs are of different length. As all HID Xenon bulbs are more or less of the same length.
And, as we all know by now, HID Xenon bulb do not have filaments.
That is why you have so much difficulty in getting a beam pattern and get glare when you install an After Market HID Xenon kit to a Halogen headlight assy.

The problem can be fixed, but, you need to spend some time to fix it.
You need to fid (or create) a focal centre fro the beam emitted from the HID Xenon bulb.
Picture bellow shows the problem.The dotted line is the correct reflection.

Now, that can be a tall order or a piece of cake.

By the way, if you have access to a vehicle with OEM HID Xenon Projectors, take a look at the beam pattern.
Then you know how yours should look like.

Have fun,
mavs19

Attachments:
reflection-bottom-headlight.gif
reflection-bottom-headlight.gif [ 3.21 KiB | Viewed 955 times ]

Have fun,
mavs19

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

With the reflector in the existing headlight ... does it start peeling up (the coating) when you start to cut it??? I am presuming that's why you are asking whether I wil keep it or not.

Not sure if it would be a good idea to get rid of it or not ... I think getting rid of it might stop some stray light issues.

Ahhh ... I think i know what you mean now ... seeing as the Mitsu Magna uses the Parabolic headlights ... it uses a H1 (or a H7 I think) for the low beam ... not a dual-filament H4 like the AU Falcon.

Quote:
What happens if you insert a H1 in a H3 reflector??
The beam pattern will be altered due to the changes made by the length difference between H1 and H3 bulbs. The focal centre of the reflector / H3 will be changed and since H1 is longer you will not have any focal point at all.

Like what happened to Brad (Waggin) when he put the H3 HID in his outer XR projector light (meant for a H1).

I found with my H4 halogen ... it was the same length as my HID globe (from the base of the globe section to the end of the globe).

I think with the Mazda Projectors ... I will need to see what the length of the current Halogen globes and see if they are the same.

Then I doubt the high/low function will work in the projector as well ... I highly doubt the beam will be what I am expecting with the H4.

I might have a look at some Honda S2000 lights (a mate at work has one) ... and see what globe they use in them.

I know at the moment I am having issues like when you are showing in the above picture ... with the light bouncing off the bottom reflecter of the headlight and shining light up instead of down.

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:42 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

One of the reasons I am asking to see a picture of the Projector is to see if it has a shutter for Hi/Lo or not.
In some better Projectors they have a shutter that acts as a Hi/Lo function.
It is connected to the vehicles Hi/Lo switch.
When you turn on the headlights, the shutter is closed and it closes only the lower half of the reflector.
When you flash the shutter is opened exposing all the light from the reflector, mimicking your Hi Beam with a H4 bulb.

The other reason I want to see a picture is to see the type of housing, type of lens and general measurements of the projector.

If you cut in the original reflector, if it is made of plastic, it may peel off, but the likelihood is slim.
However, it does not matter if the chrome peels off or not. You are not using that reflector anymore.
It will only be there for the aesthetic reasons.

However, if your projector has a so called “Open Housingâ€￾ then you may need to find, or manufacture a bezels or shrouds of some kind to close the gaps.

In some cases you also need to cut a beam pattern plate which is to be mounted between the lens and its housing on the Projector.

Nut, if you choose the right type of Projector from the start you don’t have to worry much about length of the bulb, type of it, beam pattern etc.
All you need to worry about is mounting the Projector in the original headlight assy.
Piece of cake……?!!?

So look around, examine the merchandise, ask semi and fully but if necessary even silly questions.
Because once you cut the original headlight assy. That’s it, you have only one option left. Well actually 2. You can finish the job or buy a new headlight assy.

When you come to that point we will go into more details.

Here is a couple of pics showing the different Xenon bulbs and their respective projectors. Note the difference in the light reflections and you can see what happens if you choose the wrong type of bulb.

Have fun,
mavs19

Attachments:
D2S.jpg
D2S.jpg [ 11.98 KiB | Viewed 136 times ]
D2R.jpg
D2R.jpg [ 10.79 KiB | Viewed 752 times ]

Have fun,
mavs19

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Interesting ... thank you for that.

I have seen a pic up on another thread of the Mazda6 projector ... but it's not a close up pic though.

Not sure if this shows it ... I need to have a close look at one .... and look in from the back of the projector and see if i see the shield inside the projector light.

I see what you mean now about the right globe for each projector now ... i never knew there was a difference in them.

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:07 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

This is a “Closed Houseâ€￾ Projector, so you don’t have to worry much about a bezels or shrouds, UNLESS, it stick up too much in the original reflector.

My concern is if this is a Halogen Projector or a HID Xenon one??
Because as you know there are Halogen Projectors out there as well, but they come nowhere close to a Xenon one.

You need to take this projector apart to see if there is a Pattern Plate in between the reflector and the lens. You also need to find out if it is a Fog Light or if it is a Headlight Projector.

By the way once you removed the headlight glass and before you reglue it back, you can add your Angel Eyes if you so want to.
It would be the best time for doing such an operation.

Have fun,
mavs19

Have fun,
mavs19

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

As far as Pierre said it was the headlight projector from a Mazda 6 ... and that uses a Halogen globe behind it.

So my best bet is put pull apart a HID headlight and get the projector out of that .... might have a look around and see if i can get a Euro headlight of some sort ... or get an S2000 headlight(s). Not going to be cheap really.

I have a spare set of headlights to muck around with anyway and see how they go.

I was planning on getting the angel eyes fitted as well while it is all open.

Sure I could see in through the globe hole at the back of the projector unit to see if there is a pattern plate inside the unit without having to pull it apart.

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 98 DL LTD | 71 XY

WA, Australia

So its possible to use a normal hid kit in standard reflecing headlights such az fairmont etc, but thu a projecter thingo you get alot better performace right?

RIP Scotty
Still Doin It For Ya Mate

Sort by  
 Page 12 of 42  [ 628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 42  Next