Fordmods Logo

HID headlights 

Page 31 of 42 [ 628 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 42  Next

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 98 DL LTD | 71 XY

WA, Australia

Ok guys. i went and got another headlight (drivers side) after being upset with how bad my beam pattern was on that side.. Ya can notice a beam on the passenger side at night but before with my old reflector how it was it seemed like one big blur.. cant wait to see how it performs:

Attachments:
P2180007.JPG
P2180007.JPG [ 54.22 KiB | Viewed 154 times ]

RIP Scotty
Still Doin It For Ya Mate

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

beam pattern.. looking better?

Attachments:
File comment: Passenger
P2180009.JPG
P2180009.JPG [ 23.05 KiB | Viewed 151 times ]
File comment: Driver
P2180008.JPG
P2180008.JPG [ 21.04 KiB | Viewed 143 times ]

RIP Scotty

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Here's one with but its a pretty narrow street:

This one might be better:

Sorry about the blur.. i was excited...:lol: The colour of them may look a little more green at the moment because the second hand drivers side is quite yellow.. Ill be swapping it over soon

RIP Scotty

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:57 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU - Turbo

Oustide Australia

Hay

Last edited by blinkAU on Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:56 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

SIM wrote:
Here's one with but its a pretty narrow street:

This one might be better:

Sorry about the blur.. i was excited...:lol: The colour of them may look a little more green at the moment because the second hand drivers side is quite yellow.. Ill be swapping it over soon

Much better. You are almost there. 90% done.
So far, well done.

Here is what I can see that needs to be looked at a bit more.

1- The top part of the beam reflected in the pics on the wall. It is still a bit too round. Needs to be a straight line instead. The so called cutoff line. Which can be fixed with the cap of the nosecone.
2- You also need to find a very BIG wall, place the vehicle 10 metres away from the wall, and stand behind the car, then take a pic of the entire beam pattern on the wall. Try to find a wall like the one in the pic I showed the beam pattern from the BA I had just fixed.

Once we fix these minor glare problems that you still got, you would be happily riding the roads without blinding any oncoming traffic.

Well done.

Have fun,
mavs19

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:09 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

blinkAU wrote:
Hay mavs here is a pic of some au lights I had a member make up for me. They are projectors out of a older model fairlane NC maybe .. not sure they had square lights and are around 1990 models

Anyway I don't want 'great' performance they are more for looks but the q. is what HID kit should i add on that is cheap ie. less then $600 pref around $300? Going for the real blue/purple look.

Iv been reading your thread but its so long now and so much info I just end up confused.

OUCH....and ouch again.

The member that helped you to retrofit the projector unfortunately missed an extremely vital bit of the job.

I have mentioned the need for a shroud and a bezel in more than 5 different post during this thread.
I also remember that I have mentioned time after time , that you MUST take your time and plan, plan and plan again, before you start doing anything…..

Unfortunately, the way it is now, your reflectors are leaking light all over the place from the sides of projector, between the lens holder legs and the projector lens.
Thus emitting more glare form your original reflector and making your headlights more dangerous than probably the worst case scenario that one could have managed to create than by installing a HID kit in a Halogen reflector.

The lens MUST be removed again and you MUST make sure that you install a proper and suitable shroud around the parts of the projector that is open to make sure there is no light leaking out from the sides of it bouncing off the reflector, which is presently all open.

The second issue which needs to be carefully looked at is how straight in the centre of the reflector is the projector installed and is the beam emitted from the projector exactly in the centre of the beam emitted from the reflector or not.
Here in our little studio, we use laser equipment to make sure that the centre line of the projector is in exact the same place as the Halogen reflectors centre line.
Otherwise not only does is look very funny and ugly but it is going to be extremely difficult to adjust the beam.
Then there is the issue of how straight is the shield in side the projector to the horizontal line??? This is vital since there are no adjustments in any headlight assy that can turn the projector either clock or anti-clockwise.

In regards to what kind of HID kit I would suggest and your wishes regarding colour etc..
Unfortunately it looks like you are more after aesthetics and coloured light, than safety and proper light.
So, here is a thought for you and all the other guys to whom colour and looks are more important than safety.

Get a HID kit with a 4300K to MAX 6000K bulb colour. Then get yourself a coloured lens and add it on top of your projector lens.
Doing so, you will at least have some light.

By the way if colour is more important to you than light. Why bother buying a HID kit? Save your money and get yourself an aftermarket coloured Halogen bulb.
It will give you the colour you want, it will also give you some light but it will be far easier to install and much cheaper.

Now days you have Halogen bulbs in , Yellow, Blue, Purple, Green etc .etc. Cost around $35-50 for a pair.
A saving of at least $250 in your case.

That is if colour is more important than proper light and safety.

By the way:

Sorry for "MY" thread being so long now that it confuses you.
But, I am sure that you have to admit that even if you have to read it several times over and over again to understand the importance of the safety factor involved in being properly seen or to see. I am also sure that you will have to agree with me that, MAYBE, yours or someone else’s life on the roads could be, or is, worth the trouble of trying to read and remember and understand the contents of this thread.
Unfortunately, looking at the result of your projector retrofit, I can see that despite all, there are 2 of you guys that looks like you may be needing to start reading it again. Back to school with you 2...Haha....

Have fun,
mavs19

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Awesome.. I had my headlights done today.. cost me $80 to have them both buffed and looking 95% new im stocked the black looks realy good, havent driven at night yet but i will to try find that wall for ya mavs.

RIP Scotty

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:27 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU wag/BAXR front

VIC, Australia

mavs19 wrote:
Unfortunately, the way it is now, your reflectors are leaking light all over the place from the sides of projector, between the lens holder legs and the projector lens.
Thus emitting more glare form your original reflector and making your headlights more dangerous than probably the worst case scenario that one could have managed to create than by installing a HID kit in a Halogen reflector.

I actually saw those pics before they were removed, are you sure the "glare" is not just "camera flash"? :shock:

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:01 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

I was not referring to the pics BlinkAu had posted.
I was referring to the way the projector had been retrofitted in the original reflector. I was referring to all the open gaps between the lens holder’s “legsâ€￾. See pic Projector Sides. Some of these openings are marked in red.
The other pic: Xenon bulb, shows you the location of the Xenon bulb inside the reflector.
Following is what I was referring to and will happen in his case:
The light emitted from the bulb inside the projector instead of all of it being directed through the lens of the projector making a perfect beam pattern, is now being emitted out from the sides of the projector where the gaps are. It then is bounced and reflected from the original reflector he had in his headlight assy and is then emitted as a very uneven and distorted pattern ( = glare) out from the original reflector plus the light that is emitted from the projector.

The necessity for a proper and well designed shroud is obvious.
There are several ways one can fix the glare in this case.
1- Painting everything inside the headlight assy. BBQ black.
2- Removing the original reflector and replacing it with some other dark or light absorbent material, i.e. fibreglass, Kevlar etc.
3- Spending some time to make a shroud and if need be a bezel to cover all the possible opening where light can penetrate and create glare. MOST POPULAR AND COMMON OPTION. It also looks better and more OEM (well at least most professional).

Attachments:
Projector side.jpg
Projector side.jpg [ 34.09 KiB | Viewed 153 times ]
Xenon Bulb.JPG
Xenon Bulb.JPG [ 55.54 KiB | Viewed 144 times ]

Have fun,
mavs19

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 97 R33, EF XR8

NSW, Australia

SIM wrote:
Awesome.. I had my headlights done today.. cost me $80 to have them both buffed and looking 95% new im stocked the black looks realy good, havent driven at night yet but i will to try find that wall for ya mavs.

Hey mate where did u take them to have them buffed?

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

There was a thing posted on our notice board at work.. Brite light.. Guys names mark he came out and got them looking so new its unbelievable just how clear he got them.. Alright if ya in WA i guess.

24 pages :o

RIP Scotty

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

regarding projectors tho, your not supposed to a) use hids in normal headlights, and b) in normal halogen projectors but in actual bi-xenon projectors.

but i guess that ruins the conversion of HID's into headlights! :P

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:21 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

fuzion wrote:
regarding projectors tho, your not supposed to a) use hids in normal headlights, and b) in normal halogen projectors but in actual bi-xenon projectors.

but i guess that ruins the conversion of HID's into headlights! :P

Sort of both right and wrong statement.
So we are both on the same track, what do you mean?
Please explain as she said.

Have fun,
mavs19

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Territory TX AWD & AUII XLS EGAS

NSW, Australia

I will be taking my HID system out soon.
Have had a close look at my reflectors just above where the globe sits inside the headlight housing ... and it has literally burned a hole through the reflector.

Have found a place in Melb that is making up AU headlights with black surrounds and using NC Fairlane projectors.

I am going to go with these headlights and going to be using Phillips H1 Halogen globes in them and see how they go.

04 Territory TX AWD - Winter White - optioned up
06 Falcon BFII XLS ute EGAS - Winter White - EGA-54D Version 2

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

But HID's dont put out as much heat.. Is it just a problem with your headlight assy?

RIP Scotty

Sort by  
 Page 31 of 42  [ 628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 42  Next