Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: Mesh Grills
Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Rik_Biel wrote:
My wife's first comment was "Looks like an old man putting flyscreen on his car to keep the bugs out"

Women! they just don't understand.

Looks good though.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ALTED XR6 - ALTED EA - EF TAXI

QLD, Australia

uglybob wrote:
where'd ya score the mesh from rik? i've been keeping my eyes open for some, but haven't found anything i quite like yet...

you can get the mesh and supercheap, etc, i got mine from crazy clarks, it was only like $15 for a peice the size of my boot .. only problem is keep it clean, so, when i clean my car, about every 3 mths lol, i just go over the mesh in chrome paint :)

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:09 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

cheers - will have to stop by crazy clarks or something on the weekend - the s**t autos stuff is overpriced @ $30 for a small piece - and its not what i'm looking for either - the grill is too open

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ALTED XR6 - ALTED EA - EF TAXI

QLD, Australia

uglybob wrote:
cheers - will have to stop by crazy clarks or something on the weekend - the s**t autos stuff is overpriced @ $30 for a small piece - and its not what i'm looking for either - the grill is too open

Hahha, cool, don't forget a LED gear knob from crazy clarks lol ;)

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:16 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

au2low wrote:
uglybob wrote:

Hahha, cool, don't forget a LED gear knob from crazy clarks lol ;)

lol yeah that'd go real well with all the woodgrain & s**t inside my interior! hehe.

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

QLD, Australia

Looke great rik. The only thing old man-ish about that car is the sun visors and the mudflaps :lol:

Good job, love your wheels too.

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:02 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

My EL.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:19 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 5 images

WA, Australia

Thanks guys :)
And no-one said rice ! Cool :)

The mesh was about $30 from Repco in Rockingham - I only used about half of it too.

I was really unsure how to go about fixing it or attaching it, but then it all became so clear - I guess inspiration hit me like a hammer.

Th small parts on either side are simply cut to shape and then held on to the existing plastic vent flute things with cable ties - if you look closely you can see them.

To do the larger centre piece I just took out the existing grill, cut the mesh slightly larger, then wrapped the edges around the existing grill, that way it just went straight back in.

It is a very quick job if you do it this way :)

The wheels are polished alloys - not chromed

When I got them new - about 6-7 years ago they were really shiny - now they are pretty dull - to get them repolished to mirror finish is $50 each

There's a polishing mob in Perth - Bagby Metal Polishers or something like that - I think they told me it would be $100 per wheel if they were not already polished, so stock XR 5 spokes can be polished up for that price.

When I first got them there were none others around - nowadays I've seen quite a few.

If you look at my engine pic you can see I did a half-assed job of polishing my intake "snails" - just the front 3 - couldn't be bothered doing the back three as well. Really the whole intake needs to come off to do a decent job. Oh well, another job for another day LOL

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:52 am 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

au2low wrote:
.........when i clean my car, about every 3 mths lol, ........

That would be great. Save me 2.5hrs every week.

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

data_mine wrote:

My EL.

I was going to do my front like that. But decided I would ditch the plastic bit and just have the mesh grill and only the FORD badge over it (as seen in my Avatar.) I was originally inspired to do mine when I saw how Warlock had done his mesh grill on his EL. He actually put a Tickford badge over his grill instead.

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:32 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

1 SLY 97EL wrote:
data_mine wrote:

My EL.

I was going to do my front like that. But decided I would ditch the plastic bit and just have the mesh grill and only the FORD badge over it (as seen in my Avatar.) I was originally inspired to do mine when I saw how Warlock had done his mesh grill on his EL. He actually put a Tickford badge over his grill instead.

the reason I did mine like that was because Warlock said it couldn't be done! I saw his EL and asked why he got rid of the middle bar (I like it), he said he was going to leave it but could get it to fit. Not one to shy away from a challenge I set out to do it.

It is completely original (with one exception) with the black 'mesh' backing, Al mesh moulded over the top, holes 'nibbled' out in the right places for the bars tabs to fit back, and a longer screw was used to hold it on. A bit of grunting and groaning getting the tabs to snap back in place, then screwed the middle back on, and it was done.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:49 am 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

data_mine wrote:
.................the reason I did mine like that was because Warlock said it couldn't be done! I saw his EL and asked why he got rid of the middle bar (I like it), he said he was going to leave it but could get it to fit. Not one to shy away from a challenge I set out to do it.

I love that. That has been my inspiration with couple of recent projects. People say they cant be done or they wont work well, and so i set out to prove them wrong.

My BA project for example i will be setting up a 3 way Dynaudio front stage 3 x 10" subs 3 x amps, 2 battery's dual 20band eq and more, all from the factory headunit, using "David Noavone" hand made line level converyors.

People have told me it will sound crap, ...... we'll see......

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

data_mine wrote:
1 SLY 97EL wrote:
data_mine wrote:

My EL.

the reason I did mine like that was because Warlock said it couldn't be done! I saw his EL and asked why he got rid of the middle bar (I like it), he said he was going to leave it but could get it to fit. Not one to shy away from a challenge I set out to do it.

It is completely original (with one exception) with the black 'mesh' backing, Al mesh moulded over the top, holes 'nibbled' out in the right places for the bars tabs to fit back, and a longer screw was used to hold it on. A bit of grunting and groaning getting the tabs to snap back in place, then screwed the middle back on, and it was done.

Great work.Yeah you are right it does look quite good on your EL. But I reckon cause of my Darker coloured EL the Plain mesh look seemed a bit more tougher. :D

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: falcon

VIC, Australia

pyroay wrote:
data_mine wrote:
.................the reason I did mine like that was because Warlock said it couldn't be done! I saw his EL and asked why he got rid of the middle bar (I like it), he said he was going to leave it but could get it to fit. Not one to shy away from a challenge I set out to do it.

I love that. That has been my inspiration with couple of recent projects. People say they cant be done or they wont work well, and so i set out to prove them wrong.

My BA project for example i will be setting up a 3 way Dynaudio front stage 3 x 10" subs 3 x amps, 2 battery's dual 20band eq and more, all from the factory headunit, using "David Noavone" hand made line level converyors.

People have told me it will sound crap, ...... we'll see......

dude that is some seriously expensive SQ gear... glad your paying for it and not me... who did your EL setup, yourself or a company... i heard from someone on CAA that you got freeway car audio in dandy to do it?

Team Cant Stop the Doof Doof

cubic inches - holdens excuse for old technology

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: BF Falcon SR

WA, Australia

GlennXR6T wrote:
Looke great rik. The only thing old man-ish about that car is the sun visors and the mudflaps :lol:

Good job, love your wheels too.

That is thr first thing I did to my car. Removing the sun visor takes away all the old man feel of the car...

Proud owner of one of very few BF SR manual (June 06 build) :)

Nothing really says thankyou like a dollar in the waistband

[BLEMIN]

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/782173

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next